PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new laptop [+rep]

Johno
26-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey,

Im looking to buying a new laptop to replace my falling-to-pieces MacBook. I would love to have gotten a MBP but the price seriously puts me off (in relation to specification.)

Anyway, I have around £900 to spend but the more I can save the better. Its been a while since I bought a new computer and I have kinda lost touch with all the latest going ons with the technology - so I need a bit of help with choosing this new laptop. I have been looking at Dell (Studio range), HP (Envy) and so on. I have a few prerequisites but I reckon most machines will have these:

An i5 or i7 Processor (Preferably i7 but if it saves money for a similar performance, I'm good with i5)
A decent GPU (Something perhaps like the HD 5650 - plays most games on high/med)
A reasonable battery (I'm okay to be hooked to the mains, but it does need portability.)
Preferably a 15" screen for portability reasons (could do 17")

I would also quite like a backlit keyboard but I know most machines don't have them.

I could go for a desktop, but I don't want to be lumbered down (especially since I will have university in September) - I would love the power a desktop would offer, I just need something portable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I sure hope you can suggest some good machines :)

hamheyelliot
26-06-2010, 12:23 PM
My mum has a Studio 17, and the base model is seriously underpowered for the near £700 price (Pentium processor, 2GB ram), plus there's a nasty issue with sound so I would probably steer clear of Studio models.

I wish I could actually list some, but I'm pretty awful at following specs. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!