PDA

View Full Version : It's really distracting

Stitch
27-06-2010, 11:27 PM
The PS3 fan noise during the summer. I put FIFA on and 5 minutes in the fan starts getting loud. I put Rock Band on and the fan is really quiet for the whole time. It's horrible because I don't like playing Rock Band in summer because it's too hot!

Is it just me?

Dusty-09
28-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I never notice the fan its really quiet!

dbgtz
28-06-2010, 03:57 PM
i notice what you mean by 5 minutes is a bit extreme, but it does get louder quicker but I guess it's only inevitable and in the end saves the console.

ecstasy
28-06-2010, 04:10 PM
its not the quietest fan ever but i haven't noticed it getting any louder during the summer

AlexOC
28-06-2010, 05:38 PM
The fan is silent on them!

I once liquid cooled my ps3 ya know!

samsaBEAR
28-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Try moving your PS3 to a more ventilated area, that would probably help out a lot

Fez
28-06-2010, 08:44 PM
PS3 Slim here, quiet as can be.

Stitch
29-06-2010, 02:21 PM
It actually is 5 minutes after putting FIFA in! Last time I played it I put it in, started a match, it starts about 10 in game minutes into the match.

I just tried playing a PS1 game from my hard drive and the fan went full blast as soon as it started up. I play WipEout or FIFA and it's much quieter in comparison. It still sounds very loud when there's no music or anything going on.

The only thing which could possibly make the area not well ventilated is the shelf above my PS3 on my TV stand. You could probably fit a PS3 slim on top of mine until you couldn't fit another one on top.

It looks like the only thing I can do is to reapply thermal paste which I probably would never do just in case lol I guess I'll have to just put up with it until it starts cooling down. It was exactly the same last summer.

By the way, does anyone know how you work out what level your fan speed is at? You get these people going on about how loud their fan gets. Is it just a guess between level 0 and level 5? I watch these videos on YouTube and someones level 3 sounded much quieter than someone elses.

Special
29-06-2010, 02:31 PM
i'm no expert when it comes to games consoles but perhaps clean the fan? it might be blocked

Stitch
29-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Tried vacuuming the vents and it didn't make much difference. I don't want to open the PS3 because I would probably do something wrong lol

It's probably my PS3 just reacting massively to the hot weather. I played it for around 1-2 hours this morning when it was quite cold and the fan was really quiet.

Moh
29-06-2010, 02:45 PM
My fan started to make a loud noise and I hoovered mine and it stopped haha

I think you need a fairly powerful hoover and make sure you hoover all the vents :)

I wouldn't open it up as that voids the warranty.

Muct
29-06-2010, 03:35 PM
My fan started to make a loud noise and I hoovered mine and it stopped haha

I think you need a fairly powerful hoover and make sure you hoover all the vents :)

I wouldn't open it up as that voids the warranty.
LOL Thats what i just do with my fan! I also don't put the fan facing a wall too, becasue that's when it'll get dust easier... :S
Like, put the side with the fan on quite far away from a wall.

Stitch
29-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe it could be something to do with the light fitting I have in this room? The bulbs get really hot and can make me hot even when it's a cold day. It could contribute to the room temperature which makes the fan go off a bit early.

I have no idea if this could be the problem. I suppose the only way to find out is to try it in a different room to see if it's the PS3 or the room temperature.

Apple
01-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Turn the volume up to cancel it out!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!