PDA

View Full Version : New MSN Messenger - won't work on XP

peteyt
01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Okay so I know a lot of people these days in the Windows world either use Vista or 7. However I'm still with XP.

I read a while back the new MSN Messenger, well Windows Live Messenger, won't be compatible with XP. Are there any XP users out there, and if so what do you think about this.

I've been asking myself latley, should I upgrade to Windows 7. However fincially that isn't really an option at the moment. I'm going away soon and I'm also doing my final year at University i September., and we have to budget our own projects.

When I look at it, everything I want to do at the moment, I can do on XP - Although Windows 7 may to some look and feel better, XP to me is fine. It might have better security, but I haven't heard of anything important added, although I haven't researched it well to be honest, but most security issues can be fixed with other programs.

I've decided I wont be moving to Windows 7 really till I need to. When most the major programs need Windows 7 to run then yeah I'll consider moving, and probably Windows 8 will have came by then. Windows XP still is used a lot, but I suppose Microsoft want to make people upgrade and so are trying to pull users away.

What do you all think?

Moh
01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm still using Windows XP and I still don't really want to switch.

The only reason I'll switch is if I buy a new laptop with it installed already.

Everybody who is using the new MSN wishes they didn't upgrade, so I'm not bothered about the new msn :)

The only thing that sounds good about the new MSN is the facebook integration thing?

peteyt
01-07-2010, 01:11 AM
A lot of people told me they didn't like the Facebook intergration. I read somewhere, can't remember where, people thought they had it wrong - people don't want to shout out everything they do all over facebook and everywhere else - well most people lol.

I've been looking forward to the apparently rumoured Multi Webcam confrence like feature thats been rumoured for a few versions but still hasn't managed to show up - it would be really handy.

HotelUser
01-07-2010, 01:23 AM
I've never liked the ad on the bottom of the official MSN client (my netbook's screen is tiny, it takes up too much real estate :() so I've turned to Trillian for my MSN needs.

Recursion
01-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I've never liked the ad on the bottom of the official MSN client (my netbook's screen is tiny, it takes up too much real estate :() so I've turned to Trillian for my MSN needs.

You can remove that with various programs you know?

XP's time was up when Windows 7 came out, and really anyone using it now needs to upgrade, seeing as Microsoft are about to stop supporting it.

xxMATTGxx
01-07-2010, 07:40 AM
You can remove that with various programs you know?

XP's time was up when Windows 7 came out, and really anyone using it now needs to upgrade, seeing as Microsoft are about to stop supporting it.

Yeah if you can, you should really start upgrading to Windows 7. One of the best operating systems ever, XP is just way too old now. :(

Zubb
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
It works fine on my XP laptop, However MSN plus has never worked for me with the new MSN. I tried to install a plus skin, Never worked for me.

GoldenMerc
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I have XP on one pc and windows 7 on the other but still bit stupid stop supporting vista cos thats crap, XP is decent

W00TZEH
01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Use A-patch to get rid of ads. If you're in Uni you should be able to get Windows 7 for more or less nothing surely?

peteyt
01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Although Microsoft don't support XP theres going to be plenty of stuff online for support on it - and i've seen a lot of local computer stores that sell XP stuff.

The question is why should I upgrade to Windows 7 - Its not that I don't want to but the problem is I've a lot of other stuff i need to save up for holidays, Uni projects, my own website etc - Windows 7 sounds and looks good - the problem is I don't think theres anything I want to do that I cant do on XP

Recursion
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Although Microsoft don't support XP theres going to be plenty of stuff online for support on it - and i've seen a lot of local computer stores that sell XP stuff.

The question is why should I upgrade to Windows 7 - Its not that I don't want to but the problem is I've a lot of other stuff i need to save up for holidays, Uni projects, my own website etc - Windows 7 sounds and looks good - the problem is I don't think theres anything I want to do that I cant do on XP

Support as in patches etc etc

peteyt
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Still everything works - as far as im aware security suites will fix most problems. I do want to upgrade but money is an issue. And also change - a lot of people who don't like Windows 7 just haven't got used to the sudden change.

Jam
01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
S a lot of people who don't like Windows 7 just haven't got used to the sudden change.

What sudden change? Only big change is the Superbar/Taskbar which can be changed back in 3 or 4 clicks.

joshuar
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I just can't be bothered to upgrade from XP. I like it here. I have an illegal 7 running on dual boot, but I haven't used it for months. My Windows XP disk comes from a defunct IT company, so I can install it everywhere and it's fully legal (as the disk was made for mass-install), I just can't afford 7 (and illegally using it fully just gets caught by Microsoft, I have to use it offline) and with my computer usage, I have no need right now to upgrade.

The new MSN doesn't bother me as nobody really uses it anymore, it just signs in so I can see my emails. With regards to the Facebook addition, I don't like apps running my Facebook and I don't want it to be updating all the time, my Facebook is quiet (with regards to me updating it) and I like it that way!

Recursion
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I just can't be bothered to upgrade from XP. I like it here. I have an illegal 7 running on dual boot, but I haven't used it for months. My Windows XP disk comes from a defunct IT company, so I can install it everywhere and it's fully legal (as the disk was made for mass-install), I just can't afford 7 (and illegally using it fully just gets caught by Microsoft, I have to use it offline) and with my computer usage, I have no need right now to upgrade.

The new MSN doesn't bother me as nobody really uses it anymore, it just signs in so I can see my emails. With regards to the Facebook addition, I don't like apps running my Facebook and I don't want it to be updating all the time, my Facebook is quiet (with regards to me updating it) and I like it that way!

That doesn't make it legal...

joshuar
02-07-2010, 08:39 PM
That doesn't make it legal...

Oh. Well Microsoft seem to think so as it always passes validation. Ah well, if it works it'll do. Didn't realise it wasn't legal, haven't really read the mumble-jumble on the license.

xxMATTGxx
02-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I have XP on one pc and windows 7 on the other but still bit stupid stop supporting vista cos thats crap, XP is decent

Not really. Windows XP came out years ago, it's about time Microsoft stopped supporting it officially and what not. There is far more better decent operating systems out there such as Windows 7 than XP. It's just getting with the times! It's like Apple still supporting Panther looool. (They aren't btw, I don't think)

peteyt
03-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Well i've still seen windows 98 here and there lol.

I'm glad Microsoft are trying to keep ahead. They seemed to be so behind at one point. I mean the gap between Internet Explorer 6 and 7 was hudge. And then when 7 came it was like wow everyone we have tabs look. Tabs? Firefox and others have had them for years.

xxMATTGxx
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Well i've still seen windows 98 here and there lol.

I'm glad Microsoft are trying to keep ahead. They seemed to be so behind at one point. I mean the gap between Internet Explorer 6 and 7 was hudge. And then when 7 came it was like wow everyone we have tabs look. Tabs? Firefox and others have had them for years.

I suppose but in terms of operating systems, they have done great with Windows 7.

Bettah
04-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Its annoying - MSG Plus doesn't work on it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!