PDA

View Full Version : New Name change rules?

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 06:23 AM
I was just wondering if the rule of if you can have an inactive name should be changed.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem but i recently asked to change my name for Smeg, The User name is already taken however he's only looged in once (over a year ago) and has 1 post.

This to me says he is not coming back to the forum, and i know other people have had the same problem.

So i was wondering if the rules should be updated?

Thanks,

Kieran.

leer34$
01-07-2010, 06:28 AM
After 3 or like 6 months or 'inactiveness' the user should be deleted to allow more active users to change there names.
That's what I think anyway. :D

lTraditional
01-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree, i think this should be changed if it is over one year without been active and has under 50 posts or something.

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 06:36 AM
I agree, i think this should be changed if it is over one year without been active and has under 50 posts or something.

Mabey not 50 but say under 15.

Hecktix
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
People have returned with low posts after a year or so. The rules are if they have been inactive for 4-5 years and have no posts.

Tintinnabulate
01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
After 3 or like 6 months or 'inactiveness' the user should be deleted to allow more active users to change there names.
That's what I think anyway. :D

I left for 6 months and came back and would have been pretty pissed off if my account was deleted ...

Kieran
01-07-2010, 08:45 AM
I think it should be lowered to say 2 years and no posts. :)

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
By no way am I endorsing the deletion of accounts only 6 month inactive or have more tha say 5 posts, because I was inactive for 7-8 months then started posting again. But when an account had been inactive for over a year with no more than 2-3 posts then there is ahuge chance try will not return. I've joined hundreds of forums in the past posted a couple of tomes and never joined again. I just don't think that people who are highly highly unlike to post again should take up prime names wanted by other users.

scottish
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
No it should be made so you cant get a name change to ANY name on here, even if its been inactive for 6 years and has 0 posts unless its your habbo name

Allowing it means staff do it at their own discretion which = people they like/liked staff members get the name change and everyone else can get to ****.

hah
01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
No it should be made so you cant get a name change to ANY name on here, even if its been inactive for 6 years and has 0 posts unless its your habbo name

Allowing it means staff do it at their own discretion which = people they like/liked staff members get the name change and everyone else can get to ****.

*plays world smallest violin*

they were only changed so i doubt they will be changing again any time soon... just yesterday a user came back from 2004 with 50 posts..

samsaBEAR
01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
People have returned with low posts after a year or so. The rules are if they have been inactive for 4-5 years and have no posts.
No offence Oli but that's a stupid idea. How long has the forum been online, what, 5 years? So you're saying only accounts that have been inactive since the beginning of Habbox are deleted? And even then, if they have 1 post they're not? That's absoloutely ridiculous.
Like Saurav said, I left for quite a time and came back, but if someone has 1 post and hasn't logged in in a year, it's safe to say they're not coming back. You should set it so that if an account becomes inactive for longer than a year, and it has less than, say, 100 posts (could be lower), the system should send an email out to that user informing them they have two weeks (one again, could be longer or less) to log in and become active again. If they don't, it should be deleted/passed onto another member.
It seems logical to me that members with high inactivity and a low post count aren't coming back

Hecktix
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
It's not my ruling it's General Managements, a year ago such changes weren't allowed at all

Nixt
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=651834

That should explain what the current ruling is and why.

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't want this thread to turn into an argument.
And i see why the rule is how it is. I just think Mod's / Managers should make exceptions when it's clear the user only came online once to check it out.
No i don not believe users with more than say 10 posts should ever be deleted. and i don think the time span needs to be in place due to breaks. Where i was coming from is that it is clear that the user Smeg will not come back online if he has only posted once in his entire 2 and a half year account life on Habbox and with other SIMILAR incidents. People who cant have names due to active members or high post members are sensible. I just believe the brackets should be widen'd slightly.
There are 100's of unused accounts but no-one who is active and wants their name can use them due to their single post.

Sorry if it sounds like ranting and i don't want to go against the rules / managment in any way. I just strongly feel there needs to be a serious update in the way you can pick used names.

Gibs960
01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
This is a debate that no one will ever win.... as said before, people come back after 6 years! I may sound unbelievable but it's true. I think name changes should be allowed at any time as long as the name isn't already taken..

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 07:22 PM
This is a debate that no one will ever win.... as said before, people come back after 6 years! I may sound unbelievable but it's true. I think name changes should be allowed at any time as long as the name isn't already taken..

Nono i understand this perfectly. But someone who has just one post in 2 years probably can't even remember there own username / p/w so would just make a new one, hence a wasted account. I'm not disputing members come back. I just believe there should be certain exceptions.

Calvin
01-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Perhaps we could try and get an addon and if the user hasn't logged in for X amount of years/weeks then it'll email them and ask them to click a link to re-active their account to keep it or it'll be deleted in X days.

Moh
01-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe do what Habbo did? Rename the account with a # at the end, that way their account isn't deleted - they can choose a new one if they decide to return.

Anybody whos left a forum for over a year has probably forgotten their password, so they will retrieve their username along with their password :)

Sharon
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Not a bad idea Jack

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Maybe do what Habbo did? Rename the account with a # at the end, that way their account isn't deleted - they can choose a new one if they decide to return.

Anybody whos left a forum for over a year has probably forgotten their password, so they will retrieve their username along with their password :)

I actually love this idea +rep :D

I hope the forum managers take a look at this.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!