PDA

View Full Version : how did someone get into my email...help

hah
01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
ok i havent downloaded anything in months except for updates like eset (w.e its called the virus thing), and window 7 updates...... yet some how some chinnese person got in my email account?

http://rbguides.com/screenshots/3a146e09.png

i've searched my computer and i dont have a keylogger.... i only found out today cause google locked down my account and wouldnt open it until i gave them my phone number so they could give me a code

so how could they have gotten into it?

obviously ive changed all my passwords and im currently moving everything to a new email lol :(

Recursion
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
How do you know you dont have a key logger, even if you haven't downloaded anything in months?

Was the password a word? Was it strong? You should include capital letters, numbers and punctuation in your passwords.

hah
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Because i scanned for one... and im not stupid enough to download anything like free furni maker..i dont even download torrents
and no it wasnt a word, it was numbers symbols and letters

Jack!
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
could be just bad luck, happens to some people. but from what ive been reading Gmail isnt the best for security

peteyt
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Do you use the same password for anything else? Phishing/password harvesting doesn't require you to download anything. When I was young I remember having to change a password as I signed up to a site which I thought was legit and the owner simply stole the password and used it to gain access to something.

I'm quite security concious these days and try to use different passwords when I can. I always reccomend people use seperate passwords for sensitive accounts e.g. emails, banks, and if you see a website which looks suspcious try using a temporary email address.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!