PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs: It is just a phone. Not worth it

xxMATTGxx
01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been busy in recent days responding to customers emails, many of which have been addressing signal issues on the company's new iPhone 4. Boy Genius Report shares a new conversation between Jobs and a customer on the issue containing several interesting aspects.

First, it appears that contact was initiated by an Apple engineer who reached out to the customer after seeing a YouTube video regarding the issue posted by the customer. The engineer reportedly informed the customer that Apple does not consider it a problem and asked him not to post any additional videos.

The customer followed up with an email expressing frustration at the situation and sent a copy to Jobs, who responded, "No, you are getting all worked up over a few days of rumors. Calm down." With the customer arguing that the situation is much more than just rumors, Jobs again replied, claiming that the customer is "most likely in an area with very low signal strength."

Unappeased, the increasingly agitated customer continued to press the issue by claiming that the entire country must have low signal strength. Not willing to give up the fight, however, Jobs replied yet again to claim that the customer "may be working from bad data" and reiterate his earlier suggestion that customers should "stay tuned." Jobs also noted that Apple is "working on it", although it remains unclear exactly how the company is planning to address the issue.

Jobs also sent one final message, encouraging the customer to "retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it."

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/01/steve-jobs-again-speaks-out-on-iphone-4-antenna-issue-via-email/

I'm not sure what to say. But what the hell is Steve Jobs playing at? People fork out to pay for the products him and his company sell and he tells someone to relax regarding a fault with their iPhone 4.

LOL.

GommeInc
01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/01/steve-jobs-again-speaks-out-on-iphone-4-antenna-issue-via-email/

I'm not sure what to say. But what the hell is Steve Jobs playing at? People fork out to pay for the products him and his company sell and he tells someone to relax regarding a fault with their iPhone 4.

LOL.
And people worship him like a god :rolleyes: He's an imbesile, Apple should just chuck him out with an internal civil war.

xxMATTGxx
01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
And people worship him like a god :rolleyes: He's an imbesile, Apple should just chuck him out with an internal civil war.

Haha I agree. Shame there an update on this saying: "The final quote was actual written by "Tom" rather than Steve Jobs, according to an update by Boy Genius Report.".

Bit of a shame!!

Trinity
02-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Haha I agree. Shame there an update on this saying: "The final quote was actual written by "Tom" rather than Steve Jobs, according to an update by Boy Genius Report.".

Bit of a shame!!

New update says the whole thing was fabricated: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/02/that-steve-jobs-email-transcript-with-the-furious-iphone-customer-fake/

HotelUser
02-07-2010, 02:42 AM
I do hear the guy has some pretty memorable quotes though.

I'm talking about this one:

Pretty much, Apple and Dell are the only ones in this industry making money. They make it by being Wal-Mart. We make it by innovation.

I don't know if it's accurate but I quite liked the Wal-Mart comparison :P

Recursion
02-07-2010, 06:38 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4l1xhRg671qc29weo1_400.jpg

http://cdn.lolboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone.jpg

Mathew
02-07-2010, 07:59 AM
A fault? With an iPhone? What a surprise! :P

xxMATTGxx
02-07-2010, 08:28 AM
To be honest even with the bottom of this faked, I don't think Apple have taken this on like they should of. Telling people to hold it different or to buy a case? :S Surely this is a problem they should of found during testing and sorted it. Or maybe they don't think its an issue but will try and fix it anyway via software update.

Oh and Apple are being sued!

The first iPhone 4 class action suit against Apple and AT&T has been filed today in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. The lawsuit focus on the antenna design problems, making several claims:

• General Negligence (APPLE and AT&T)
• Defect in Design, Manufacture, and Assembly (APPLE)
• Breach of Express Warranty (APPLE)
• Breach of Implied Warranty for Merchantability (APPLE and AT&T)
• Breach of Implied Warranty of Fitness for a Particular Purpose (APPLE and AT&T)
• Deceptive Trade Practices (APPLE and AT&T)
• Intentional Misrepresentation (APPLE and AT&T)
• Negligent Misrepresentation (APPLE and AT&T)
• Fraud by Concealment (APPLE and AT&T)

Sameer!
02-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Omg, this guy is unbelievable...

GommeInc
02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
To be honest even with the bottom of this faked, I don't think Apple have taken this on like they should of. Telling people to hold it different or to buy a case? :S Surely this is a problem they should of found during testing and sorted it. Or maybe they don't think its an issue but will try and fix it anyway via software update.

Too right, if they were being rushed they should of checked a few of the "rushed" products for any problems regarding all the problems mentioned when they were distributed, not just the antenna problem. I don't think I've seen a product flop so much on release date :/

It's not looking good for Jobs, saying people might be in a low signal area when this antenna is meant to make reception better :/

HotelUser
02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/apple-iphone-4-reception-problems-a-software-issue-fix-coming/

Atleast that's good, I guess :)

Source
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
It feels to me as though people are getting their panties in a knot about the graphical representation of the signal. I know there are 'studies' saying how the dB strength is affected but I have never had no service, or any ill effects from holding it the 'wrong' way.

xxMATTGxx
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I think Apple are covering something up here:

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

Recursion
02-07-2010, 02:44 PM
LMAO. Nice cover up Apple, I'm still interested in what the Class Action Lawsuit brings about.

HotelUser
02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Apple are covering something up here:

I'm not sure, I don't think we've been given enough information to determine the interworking elements of Apple.

GommeInc
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
http://cdn.lolboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kjEsV.jpg

Kieran
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Pfft. Apple get sued every other day... the majority of which are laughed out of courts.

xxMATTGxx
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Pfft. Apple get sued every other day... the majority of which are laughed out of courts.

Doesn't mean this one isn't true? I'm just saying Apple should of spotted this beforehand. ;)

myke
03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
in all fairness, i had a test with my phone yesterday and yeah holding how it's described makes a signal drop but... ;l

HotelUser
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
in all fairness, i had a test with my phone yesterday and yeah holding how it's described makes a signal drop but... ;l

Oh well. Hopefully they push out a software update to fix it for you soon :)

Recursion
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh well. Hopefully they push out a software update to fix it for you soon :)

Software doesn't fix a hardware fault.

xxMATTGxx
03-07-2010, 11:12 PM
It seems them emails "were" true, although the last quote was a mistake to be put by Steve Jobs. Interesting story about it, do you believe it though?

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/03/the-entire-steve-jobs-email-story-its-real/

HotelUser
04-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Software doesn't fix a hardware fault.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/apple-iphone-4-reception-problems-a-software-issue-fix-coming/

GommeInc
04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
So the software reads the bars lower than it should, and automatically kicks out even though the signal is sufficient? Either way, you wouldn't get this with Android and any company using the OS :P

I'd laugh if it is a hardware fault. Apple will get so much stick too, seeing as the 14 day returns policy ends very soon!

HotelUser
04-07-2010, 01:01 AM
So the software reads the bars lower than it should, and automatically kicks out even though the signal is sufficient? Either way, you wouldn't get this with Android and any company using the OS :P

I'd laugh if it is a hardware fault. Apple will get so much stick too, seeing as the 14 day returns policy ends very soon!

I'm not defending Apple? I use a Nexus One :S Not directed at you, but jesus christ I wish some people would stop whining about some people being Apple fanboys just because they've boughten one Apple computer :S

I don't think the return policy matters, surly they'd have to cover it with some sort of warranty if the software fix doesn't work, otherwise I'm not buying an iPhone!

GommeInc
04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm not defending Apple? I use a Nexus One :S Not directed at you, but jesus christ I wish some people would stop whining about some people being Apple fanboys just because they've boughten one Apple computer :S

I don't think the return policy matters, surly they'd have to cover it with some sort of warranty if the software fix doesn't work, otherwise I'm not buying an iPhone!
Oh no it wasn't targetted at you, it's common knowledge you have a Nexus One :P I'm just saying, what exactly is the problem e.g. does the phone not recognise a signal and kicks out when the signal reader hits 0? It's pretty lousy of Apple to not test their products before sending them off, it's such a juvenile error for a company like Apple to do this :P

The returns policy does matter, as the returns policy means you get full money back guarantee. A warranty usually covers like for like, swapping the "broken" iPhone for another one, and if the software fix does sweet naf all, then you'd probably not want a phone that isn't functioning to a satisfactory standard :P

HotelUser
05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
For public relations reasons they would most likely do a product recall if it was a hardware problem where warranty coverage was questionable.

Oh no it wasn't targetted at you, it's common knowledge you have a Nexus One :P I'm just saying, what exactly is the problem e.g. does the phone not recognise a signal and kicks out when the signal reader hits 0? It's pretty lousy of Apple to not test their products before sending them off, it's such a juvenile error for a company like Apple to do this :P

The returns policy does matter, as the returns policy means you get full money back guarantee. A warranty usually covers like for like, swapping the "broken" iPhone for another one, and if the software fix does sweet naf all, then you'd probably not want a phone that isn't functioning to a satisfactory standard :P

StefanWolves
05-07-2010, 08:17 AM

LOL.

Wait, you do know those emails are fake?

One word; spoofed.

xxMATTGxx
05-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Wait, you do know those emails are fake?

One word; spoofed.

and you know this by? Anyone can say they are fake or even real. No one here has logged into that Goolge account and see the headers for themselves. You never know what Apple or any company is covering up do you? Nope I didn't think so.

Plus, haven't you read the rest of the thread? :S That was way at the top and people have replied regarding them being fake and then other sources saying they aren't. Lmao.

HotelUser
05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I guess we'll never know. Is it a live changing thing though?

and you know this by? Anyone can say they are fake or even real. No one here has logged into that Goolge account and see the headers for themselves. You never know what Apple or any company is covering up do you? Nope I didn't think so.

Plus, haven't you read the rest of the thread? :S That was way at the top and people have replied regarding them being fake and then other sources saying they aren't. Lmao.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!