PDA

View Full Version : Filter

Nemo
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
What with the pointless non-rude swear words, just wondering why t'its is filtered? I mean, i can see it being offensive if you were like "you're a ***", but honestly, you're losing some of your own dignity if you do so it should be alright. Right?

GommeInc
01-07-2010, 07:59 PM
What with the pointless non-rude swear words, just wondering why t'its is filtered? I mean, i can see it being offensive if you were like "you're a ***", but honestly, you're losing some of your own dignity if you do so it should be alright. Right?
I'd love to be called a t.it, it'll so random and funny :P It isn't rude, and you'd have to be so petty to find being called one offensive. Or are we talking about things like:

"Oh, look at Oli! He's got love ****!"

Alternatively, you could probably say tats.

Come have a stroke of my tats. Those tats are huge. etc etc

Hecktix
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Let's see a few more responses :)

Storking
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
unfilter it imo

it's a general word, but if you abuse the unfiltering of it then you'll face the consequences i guess

Axel
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
tbh what use does it have unfiltered anyway

you have a smashing pair of ****?

GommeInc
01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
tbh what use does it have unfiltered anyway

you have a smashing pair of ****?
Teets? :D It'll be interesting to see the judgment on this. It could be filtered because of spam bots and so forth, or that's what some forums do.

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I see no problem with it being unfilterd. If this forum is for 13+ they will here much worse at School anyway. :D

Special
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
i think you should unfilter everything apart from offensive words such as n----- f--k tw-t etc and then go from there instaed of unfiltering one at a time

besides its juicy july???!!

Lost_Addict
01-07-2010, 10:00 PM
i think you should unfilter everything apart from offensive words such as n----- f--k tw-t etc and then go from there instaed of unfiltering one at a time

besides its juicy july???!!

I kind of Agree almost all 13+ here words alot worse at school (such as my sister)
ost apart
If a mass word unfilter happend there would need to be atleast 5 that stay in place. These would be:

S word, C word, T word, N word and F word.

As these will never be acceptable on the forum. Now that this is a multinational habbo fansite alot of words rude in english are just slang in other countries. Such as (please don't be offended) W****r in england is know as an offensive or rude word. however in australia it's an everyday unoffence word.

Most words are like that now apart from the 5 i've stated.

Hope this helps

Nemo
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Glad to see there is some agreeance :D

leer34$
02-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't see the problem, unfilter!. :D

Hecktix
02-07-2010, 01:13 AM
As you know we're quite strict here at Habbox with our filter and recently we allowed some changes to abbreviations, however this is the sort of stuff we didn't want to follow it.

We aren't gonna remove any words from the filter that are in it at the moment as quite frankly they have been assessed and reassessed and we believe that such words should remain filtered to enhance the more professional and more mature appearance of this forum than that of other Habbo forums.

I know General Management nor Habbox owners would be willing to lighten on the filter much more, I think we have reached our limits in terms of how far we can go and I think this is right, you may have noticed a lot of younger users have been signing up to Habbox Forum and it is our duty to keep this a youngster-friendly environment and I feel that if a 12-13 year old's parent saw their child on a website which had profanity then they would be tempted to challenge their child about why they were on it.

We understand this can be frustrating for our older members however this has been like it for years now and whilst we are more lenient nowadays there is only so far we can go - we are still Habbox.

Moh
02-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Does the filter edit the text before or after its inserted into the database?

If it's after, you could make a filter like Habbo where its optional.

GommeInc
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM

No point, swearing is just annoying on a forum :P The filter is near enough as perfect as possible.

FlyingJesus
02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
If a mass word unfilter happend there would need to be atleast 5 that stay in place. These would be:

S word, C word, T word, N word and F word.

What the hell is the T word? And I personally don't see the N word as that bad, it's a colloquial term often used among friends. That said, nothing ought to be unfiltered.

you could make a filter like Habbo where its optional.

Which would basically amount to totally lifting the filter, because no-one would keep it on in case they miss out on what's being said. Been suggest n^n times and never been a good option imo.

Blob
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Not quite sure, but there is a plugin which lets you enable/disable the filter.

But we aren't allowed anymore plugins installed, nor would this be installed if we was.

However, I really don't see the disadvantages to having the option.

Jamesy
02-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Not quite sure, but there is a plugin which lets you enable/disable the filter.

But we aren't allowed anymore plugins installed, nor would this be installed if we was.

However, I really don't see the disadvantages to having the option.

Having it optional would be the same as turning it off. So you are right we would never implement it.

Hecktix
02-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I think everybody has summed up the arguments that we'll use against changing the filter or making it optional, this is one thing that we aren't gonna budge on guys.

Special
02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Having it optional would be the same as turning it off. So you are right we would never implement it.

yeah but only you could see it & would be default for the filter to be enabled anyway

habbo has the same policy as this & this is a habbo fan site so it kinda ties in aswell

Hecktix
02-07-2010, 06:27 PM
yeah but only you could see it & would be default for the filter to be enabled anyway

habbo has the same policy as this & this is a habbo fan site so it kinda ties in aswell

No it doesnt, Habbo disables the filter on the client however Habbo do not give the option to disable the filter on group forum pages.

As we are a discussion forum, we will follow this too :)

xxMATTGxx
02-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Either way, it won't be happening I'm afraid.

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm not one for swearing, but i see where your coming from. If Habbo has the option to turn it off and it's for 11+ yet habbox doesn't and this is aimed for 13+ it is slightly strange.
But personally it doesn't trouble me. Why do people need to swear on a forum, the only thing that it would be used for is insults which is against Habbox policy anyway.

Unless you can put into context where swearing is neccerssary than there is no need for it surley?

Hecktix
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm not one for swearing, but i see where your coming from. If Habbo has the option to turn it off and it's for 11+ yet habbox doesn't and this is aimed for 13+ it is slightly strange.
But personally it doesn't trouble me. Why do people need to swear on a forum, the only thing that it would be used for is insults which is against Habbox policy anyway.

Unless you can put into context where swearing is neccerssary than there is no need for it surley?

see my reasoning against the Habbo thingy above :)

Nemo
02-07-2010, 06:32 PM
My thread has become what i didnt want it to :( I just wanna be able to say ****

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
see my reasoning against the Habbo thingy above :)

No i totaly understand this. I'm against unfilterign all the words.

I was just accepting it was strange that Habbo's audience goes younger than Habbox and they have the option.

Hecktix
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
My thread has become what i didnt want it to :( I just wanna be able to say ****

aww :( problem is if we unfilter that people will want more and more and more and more and more and then eventually they'll want me to take my clothes off or something.

**** can be used in a dodgy way so yeh... sorry!

xxMATTGxx
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
No i totaly understand this. I'm against unfilterign all the words.

I was just accepting it was strange that Habbo's audience goes younger than Habbox and they have the option.

According to Habbo the age is 13 or over.

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
According to Habbo the age is 13 or over.

Oh thats odd, i never knew that :P

Nixt
02-07-2010, 06:45 PM
The argument that words do not remain on the Habbo client and they do on a discussion forum is relevant here. We don't the forum full of swearing as it just looks immature and messy. The word tit will remain in the forum for a similar reason.

People use the "but the forum is full of older users" argument and that in itself is flawed. The older members should be more mature and therefore not need to use swear words when discussing things on a forum. It's for discussion and, if you want this discussion to be mature (we do have an older userbase after all) then we don't need to unfilter anything further and neither do we need the option to turn the filter on or off.

Nemo
02-07-2010, 06:49 PM
aww :( problem is if we unfilter that people will want more and more and more and more and more and then eventually they'll want me to take my clothes off or something.

**** can be used in a dodgy way so yeh... sorry!I see no issues with your idea of what is going to happen!

Yeh my intent was somewhat dodgy, meh :(

GommeInc
02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Are *s really that annoying? :P It was only frustrating when typing out abbreviations as it's kinda their job. The filter should remain :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!