PDA

View Full Version : Finalised new name rule?

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Ok after gathering Information from the other topic i made a few really good ideas came up. One of which posted by Jack is excellent but i do not believe Mod's / Managment got to see as the thread died after he posted it his suggestion was thus.

"Maybe do what Habbo did? Rename the account with a # at the end, that way their account isn't deleted - they can choose a new one if they decide to return.

Anybody whos left a forum for over a year has probably forgotten their password, so they will retrieve their username along with their password "

This mixed with a new criteria such as anyone inactive for a year with less than 10 posts? or along these lines.

I do not believe this will be to hard to implement.

So after the upgraded rule suggestion what are peoples thoughts?

Thanks,

Kieran.

Sharon
02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I like this idea. :) Would free up some wanted names

Grig
02-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Forum management made the rule that only accounts with no posts and haven't logged in for 5 years will be freed up with their discrepancy. No accounts get deleted, they get renamed with a '1' at the end of them.

Don't think this will happen, sorry.

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Forum management made the rule that only accounts with no posts and haven't logged in for 5 years will be freed up with their discrepancy. No accounts get deleted, they get renamed with a '1' at the end of them.

Don't think this will happen, sorry.

I actually had no idea of this. Even if this is so there needs to be an update. Theres so many accounts that are 1-3 yearols old with 1 or 2 posts and lets be honest they won't log in again. So i still believe an update is needed to be implace. I don't see the harm and i'm sure others don't that if someone has been on and posted once in a long time, they would not of grown attached to that name.

Blob
02-07-2010, 06:07 PM
I think inactivity for 5 years with less than 100 posts should result in the name having a 1 put on it.

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I think inactivity for 5 years with less than 100 posts should result in the name having a 1 put on it.

The problem with it beign 5 years is that the forums only been around what 6 years? and not that many people were registerd in that time meaning not that many names freed. There must be 100's if not 1000's of names wasted from the 1-4 year period which will never be used again.

Stryderman
02-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Just choose another name? If ur vip then u get to change name to something not taken anyway. If your habbo name is something taken u can switch to it anyway i believe? Whts the problem.. You start doing this ppl are gonna create the acc then start using tht one instead of their old one.

Blob
02-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Just choose another name? If ur vip then u get to change name to something not taken anyway. If your habbo name is something taken u can switch to it anyway i believe? Whts the problem.. You start doing this ppl are gonna create the acc then start using tht one instead of their old one.

Because, for instance, I wanted "noob" which last logged in around 5 years ago and has 16 posts, but wasn't allowed it due to these 16 posts. The user hasn't established themselves that much, so what would there reason be to return? I doubt they even remember this forum.

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:21 PM

I'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean here.

The reason behind mine an others wanting names freed up is because alot of the "good or original" names are taken up by users with very few posts or have been inactive for 1-3 years.

The reason i wanted Smeg is because my favorite program is Red Dwarf (near to a point of obbsesion) and due to this my nickanem to freinds at school is SmegHead a term used commonly on red dwarf, yet the name SmegHead doesn't flow well onto a forum. Hence why i really wanted the name Smeg, However it's been taken by someone with 1 post (a competition entry) and hasn't been on in over 2 years.

That might of come acroos a bit harsh. Sorry if it did.

Hecktix
02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Hiii, I know Jin doesn't like changing the names of any registered accounts so I think we have pushed the boundaries as far as we can go.

It's a decision that I shall have to talk to General Management about, it is worth noting that the forum does clear out those who don't validate their email.

Those who visit the feedback forums often will remember someone brought up that we reached our 50,000th member the other month, well look now :P

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Hiii, I know Jin doesn't like changing the names of any registered accounts so I think we have pushed the boundaries as far as we can go.

It's a decision that I shall have to talk to General Management about, it is worth noting that the forum does clear out those who don't validate their email.

Those who visit the feedback forums often will remember someone brought up that we reached our 50,000th member the other month, well look now :P

Oh ya hehe XD

So is there no chance at all of my name being change to Smeg?

Nixt
02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
The ruling I made will stand. Why? Because if we starting letting members take already registered names, it starts causing the problem of members moaning because they weren't allowed to change their names before, then someone takes the name they want. It creates the problem that a previously registered member returns (something that has been happening A LOT lately) and they cannot access their account because their name has changed. It creates the problem that if they do manage to regain access to their account, they are going to be unhappy with the fact their name has been taken from them. It creates the problem of what limits we must set, how many posts, last activity? Etc. It's not going to happen.

Also the name Smeg is absolutely vulgar and I wouldn't be inclined to allow it anyway.

Lost_Addict
02-07-2010, 06:42 PM
The ruling I made will stand. Why? Because if we starting letting members take already registered names, it starts causing the problem of members moaning because they weren't allowed to change their names before, then someone takes the name they want. It creates the problem that a previously registered member returns (something that has been happening A LOT lately) and they cannot access their account because their name has changed. It creates the problem that if they do manage to regain access to their account, they are going to be unhappy with the fact their name has been taken from them. It creates the problem of what limits we must set, how many posts, last activity? Etc. It's not going to happen.

Also the name Smeg is absolutely vulgar and I wouldn't be inclined to allow it anyway.

Surley they should grow up? Times and Rules change. The Childs welbeing act didn't come into place untill 1989 it doesn't make people complaining about they got strictly punished as a child so they can do the same to their children. (That was just an example of the top of my head) People can't complain if rules change, rules change how can anything grow or improve without changes?

And as i stated before alot fo people that have only been active / poster once or twice will most likley not even remember there name let along care about?

Surley it would not harm managment to send out an email to any account with 2 years of innactivity and under say 25 posts and say that if they do not reply within say 1/2 weeks their account is deleted. Because if they do not reply within this time then either they do not wish to join the forum again or they don't use that email address anymore. Both reasons for deletion surley? And from this basis it goes to first come first serve for names?
You announce that theres been a clear out and people who are V.I.P or donator can request a name change.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!