PDA

View Full Version : Guess how apple are patching the signal problem on the iPhone 4!

Firehorse
02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Right, this is quoted by apple and reported by the bbc.

Summed up, apple are releasing a patch which will just show that you have low signal anyway, so instead of fixing the problem they are just going to cover it up and pretend there isn't one at all.

People also have the option for a refund up to 30 days after purchase.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10490572.stm

Moh
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
They're going to have to give a lot of refunds then :)

GommeInc
02-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Pleeeeeeease bankrupt them *fingers crossed*

If we were allowed to guess, I would of said Jobs spitting on them. Or they'll blame O2, Orange etc., both wouldn't surprise me.

StefanWolves
05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Although it's not covering it up, it is actually a bug... :P

Yes signal does go down when you hold it but so do all phones - for people who are having the problem (not me) just get a cheap rubber case. Job done.

HotelUser
05-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Good on them for letting people return them.

StefanWolves
05-07-2010, 04:20 PM
They've also extended the return policy from 14 days - 30 days, they're obviously worried about the backlash that may occur.

GommeInc
05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Although it's not covering it up, it is actually a bug... :P

Yes signal does go down when you hold it but so do all phones - for people who are having the problem (not me) just get a cheap rubber case. Job done.

Eh? *picks up phone* ... No? Maybe in the . decimals, but not all phones lose signal if you hold them. Infact, they should gain signal as you'll technically be holding them higher up in the air than if they were in your pocket or on a table. This is a terrible excuse :P And so is the "buy a rubber case" one. If the phone needs a case to work, it should be supplied by one. Like selling a car without an engine or wheels.

HotelUser
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I would have returned my iPhone by now and waited until the problem was fixed to buy a new one.

StefanWolves
05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Eh? *picks up phone* ... No? Maybe in the . decimals, but not all phones lose signal if you hold them. Infact, they should gain signal as you'll technically be holding them higher up in the air than if they were in your pocket or on a table. This is a terrible excuse :P And so is the "buy a rubber case" one. If the phone needs a case to work, it should be supplied by one. Like selling a car without an engine or wheels.

What people don't realise is these people that are having 'antenna issues' are actually squeezing the phone very hard, which is not what users do in every day life. All phones, if squeezed, will loose signal. Squeeze your phone hard, just like the people on YouTube that are moaning that their iPhone is '"loosing signal easy' and your phone will also loose signal to.

xxMATTGxx
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
What people don't realise is these people that are having 'antenna issues' are actually squeezing the phone very hard, which is not what users do in every day life. All phones, if squeezed, will loose signal. Squeeze your phone hard, just like the people on YouTube that are moaning that their iPhone is '"loosing signal easy' and your phone will also loose signal to.

Hmmm no. I've seen it live and all you have to do is have that black line on the left hand side covered. That can be either with the press of my finger or hand.

Jam
05-07-2010, 07:19 PM
What happens to contracts? Does Apple cancel/pay for them?

GommeInc
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Just squeezed my phone for about 20 seconds and had nothing. The iPhone loses signal immediately, this didn't at all :/ The iPhone seems to suffer just from gentle pressure. The people testing on YouTube might be squeezing to prove a point, which many people do (over-exaggerate the cause to get the effect).

This seems waaay too dodgy to be a software issue. If something physically effects something physical, then it must be a hardware issue. Last time I checked throwing a hammer at a computer monitor and it smashing was purely down to hardware/physical damage, not software damage :P

Trinity
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM

http://vimeo.com/12864890 - Oh yes, he's squeezing it so hard. No, not like that.

HotelUser
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM
What happens to contracts? Does Apple cancel/pay for them?

Good question, I was wondering that myself. Probably what they're doing is you can return it to the company, but then you'd have to select another smartphone for your plan. Quite tricky, because some people might not want another smartphone.

Latour
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Good question, I was wondering that myself. Probably what they're doing is you can return it to the company, but then you'd have to select another smartphone for your plan. Quite tricky, because some people might not want another smartphone.

I was always under the impression if you returned your phone in the _ day period, your contract would also be cancelled. Guess it might differ carrier to carrier, but it's a fairly important issue for them to not have clarified...

Kieran
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I was always under the impression if you returned your phone in the _ day period, your contract would also be cancelled. Guess it might differ carrier to carrier, but it's a fairly important issue for them to not have clarified...

This is normally how it works.

And not everyone is having the problem so it clearly is related to certain handsets having hardware issues.

Yupt
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
This is why people should have stayed with the 3GS. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!