PDA

View Full Version : Do Webdesigners code?

peteyt
05-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Right so an argument started between me and a friend.

Apparently he claims he is a web designer but doesn't really know coding and just designs.

However when looking up on the net web designers, they all code. I know it says design but we now associate the name with coding and all that.

They might as well just be a graphic designer if they can't code.

Is it a Habbo thing?

HotelUser
05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I woud define a webdesigner as someone who can atleast design, slice, and code a layout in HTML and CSS, with bits of Javascript.

Blob
05-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't class Web Designers as someone who can code, no. Although Website Design is general the Design and Developement of a website, there are some people who can only Design and some that can only code. Although if I am telling someone what I want to do when I'm older I will say Web Design, I mean it in the term of Web Development rather than designing.

myke
05-07-2010, 03:59 PM
It depends on the individual, he can be a web designer but as David said it is expected nowadays that you can code.

However, I know people who own companies and in their companies they have literally, a designer, a coder and a programmer... so he could be. There is no strict definition.

Kieran
05-07-2010, 04:11 PM
If someone said to me they were a web designer, I'd associate them with the graphical aspect of the internet, if they however said they were a web developer, I'd be more inclined to them being a coder... However, saying this, a large number of web designers do code.

Eyphix
05-07-2010, 04:32 PM
A web designer is classed as the person who designs the layout hence being callled the web designer. A coder would fit into the exception that the designer should know how to slice and export the images for it to be coding straight away. This is my opion also i would call a coder a web developer as he develops the website from the layout ;)

Trinity
05-07-2010, 04:34 PM
If someone said to me they were a web designer, I'd associate them with the graphical aspect of the internet, if they however said they were a web developer, I'd be more inclined to them being a coder... However, saying this, a large number of web designers do code.

This.
It's not necessary for a web designer to be able to code, but most (based on the designers I've come across) can code too.

Trigs
05-07-2010, 04:51 PM
IMO,

Web Designer - designs only
Web Developer - (client-side) coding
Programmer - (server-side) coding

Blob
05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
IMO,

Web Designer - designs only
Web Developer - (client-side) coding
Programmer - (server-side) coding

Really? I normally assume a Programmer as more desktop based development, but I guess that is correct terms.

Trigs
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Really? I normally assume a Programmer as more desktop based development, but I guess that is correct terms.

In terms of web, yes I consider a programmer server-side developrment.

Fehm
05-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Definately not.

My development partner can only design but knows the basics of html/css whereas I know nothing about design.

Jamesy
05-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Hmm I'd say Designer focuses more on the front end of a web page. Designing, and coding in HTML / CSS. A Web Developer would be someone who can make it functional, whether they can design as well makes no real difference in that regard.

At least thats how I see it.

Apolva
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
In my view:

Web-designer - can design and code a layout - HTML/CSS
Web-developer - can code at least a simple layout and any underlying server code for a site - HTML/CSS/JS/(PHP/CF/ASP)

peteyt
05-07-2010, 10:01 PM
The thing is when you look into it theres more web designers than web coders.

For example people who run companies and sites offering to create websites - both design wise and code wise call themselves web designers. I rarley here someone going I'm a web coder.

Its all to do with peoples views really. But I think in todays world people do expect web designers to know some coding at least.

Fehm
05-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd call myself a web developer, I outsource design work and develop the user functionality, front end dev iygm?

jukeb0x
08-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't class a web designer as someone who could code, some however can design and code.

Irrorate
08-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I would agree with HotelUser's definition of a web designer; someone who can design, slice and code a layout using HTML and CSS.

Web Design has come a long way and it's slowly becoming an expectation for designers to be able to code their layouts also. I wouldn't associate them with it. I'd call myself a web developer because I can code a pre-designed layout, but I cannot design a layout using an application, though I can using pure CSS.

Fehm
08-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Check Forrst a post on there showcased this exact question.

CJSS
12-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Right so an argument started between me and a friend.

Apparently he claims he is a web designer but doesn't really know coding and just designs.

However when looking up on the net web designers, they all code. I know it says design but we now associate the name with coding and all that.

They might as well just be a graphic designer if they can't code.

Is it a Habbo thing?

Tricky one this. He states designer so no not really, but most should have some basic knowledge of html/php or any other language ( html5 :) ).
I would expect a web designer to make a working website, even if it would be just some basic links.

Richie
12-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Web - computer network consisting of a collection of internet sites that offer text and graphics and sound and animation resources through the hypertext transfer protocol or the things spiders make if you like.

Designer - a designer is a person who designs or creates a beautiful piece of art.

Wack the two of them together and you get your answer which is no they don't code

Adamm
12-07-2010, 08:36 AM
The correct team is web developer. You'll get no where being just a 'designer' unless you have a coder working alongside yourself. In today's world, companies bill themselves as web designers but you'll find they are actually web developers.

Hope this helps.

Dentafrice
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Most teams I have seen have numerous people working together to complete the project, are you talking small scale or large scale development?

If you have a two person team, the usual setup is a designer/coder (frontend), and a programmer (backend) of the site. One makes the visual aspect, and one makes the functional aspect -> both working together.

Now if you're talking about a LARGE scale development setup, you would have UI designers, who design the actual UI, coders who turn that design into a webpage, and then the actual programming developers.

peteyt
14-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Well this was a single person - he designers and charges for the design and doesn't really code it thats up to whoever buys it. The reason this started was someone we both knew wanted to teach himself and wasn't sure what to go for - I said that most people who went to a web designer would want you to code, and theres more money in it. I mean people are going to pay twice as much.

I was debating that although designers design society has progressed and most people presume today that most designers can actually develop to - i mean searching web design brings up companies, services and people that do the whole lot not just design.

Mickword
14-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Web Designers: No coding in the name lolz. But most can like me, not good though :D (Coded).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!