PDA

View Full Version : Florence ~ My 8 month old Hermann Tortoise :)

-Danube-
05-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey,

So i thought i would share a picture of my Hermann Tortoise, Florence. She is my baby now, seriously :P. She was born in November and i've had her since March. At first i was really scared when i got her, i wasn't scared of her, i was just scared of killing her or something as they have a large list of needs to keep them healthy. But once you have got into the routine they are a really rewarding pet to have, plus i should never have to experience her dieing on me as she should out live me! :)

Like i said, she is 8 months old and is about the size of three 50p pieces. And currently weighs 47.9g! (They need to be weighed every week to track slow growth)

Anyway here she is:

http://i43.tinypic.com/t7bvq9.jpg

~Dan

j0rd
05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Ive got a tortoise also Dan, named Humphrey.
Its like 6 years old, and really big.
Ill post a picture when i have time :D

-Danube-
05-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I didn't know this Jord :O do get a picture up of him :)

I'm actually shocked at the amount of people who have tortoises.

j0rd
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
ill get a picture tomorrow and post it :)
My sister looks after mine tho, it has its own box, heat lamp etc.

-Danube-
05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Well i have two enclosure for her. I have an indoor one in my room. It's a 4ft x 2ft open topped wooden box filled with soil and loads of other bits and bobs to make it slightly entertaining for her (Like stones, a few weeds, pots, pond etc) And then a 120W Mercury UV+Heat Lamp, oh and i have a cuttlefish bone in there for her. An i sprinkle her food with Calcium Carbonate everyday and Nutrobal twice weekly. She eats like loads of different things every day which i have grown :)

Then outside i have this HUUUUUGE enclosure, it must be 6ft by 6ft. Similar to the one inside expect i just have a heat lamp outside as she will get the UV from the sun anyway. It's filled with loads of plants and stuff for her to graze on (she loves clovers). TBH i'm obsessed with her, and she's spoilt lol. She's like 2" big and has a 6ft x 6ft outdoor enclosure lol. SPOILT. I see it as her Stately home with acres of land :P

Nixt
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
She is extremely cute! Kudos for you for taking the time to look after her. My friend is a reptile expert - who manages a chain of reptile shops in the South West. He tells me that Tortoises are one of the most difficult to look after and that a lot of people buy them for the novelty and they are often neglected. So it's good to see someone taking proper care of one! :D

-Danube-
05-07-2010, 11:33 PM
She is extremely cute! Kudos for you for taking the time to look after her. My friend is a reptile expert - who manages a chain of reptile shops in the South West. He tells me that Tortoises are one of the most difficult to look after and that a lot of people buy them for the novelty and they are often neglected. So it's good to see someone taking proper care of one! :D

Well basically the woman i bought her off loves them, and before she would even consider selling her to me i had to show her pictures of everything i had setup and how i was going to look after it etc. It's disgusting how some people look after them, i've heard of people putting a hole in the shells so that they can put a rope of them and stop them from running off. Why would anyone do that?

They are easy to look after once you are in the routine, when you first get them it's like having a baby or something (maybe a slight over exaggeration LOL)

Haha i sound like a right RSPCA worker. I should post pictures of the rest of my animals, you'd seriously think i live on a farm.

j0rd
05-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Me to Dan, i own 3 dogs (one is pregnant with 2+ puppys on there way D:) about 40 fish, like 15 big ones in our pond, 5 buggies, 1 tortoise.
Where soon gonna build a big ivory thingy outside and gna have alot more buggies.

And ye, we have about a 4ft by 2ft enclosure and in the summer we just let him loose in the garden :D

-Danube-
05-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Overall in the past we have had:

2 Dogs + 3 Puppies from them who were sold. Those dogs are now passed.

3 Hamsters (2 Passed)

About 50 ducks, we still own about 6 of them.

Loads of Chickens

Numerous Turkeys (All strangely disappeared in December? lol)

Pigs

1 Horse

2 Sheep

Loads of rabbits (i had 2 rabbits who had loads of babies which we then gave away, 1 of my rabbits died after 8 years about a month ago now)

1 Tortoise

Some Quals

Fish

I think that is all.

Basically we have a large garden but we also own a large allotment too so most of the 'Farm Animals' are kept on the allotment. But we have kept ducks down at the house in summer as they are easier to look after in summer with water and that, in winter they go back to the allotment.

Samantha.
06-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Dan she is really cute!
I love the fact that she is so small which is even cuter! I want one.

Shar
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
She's so cute Dan :love3:

Jordan:A
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Omg!!
Ive allways wanted a tortiose!! - I thought itd take too much room (With the tank) and have aload of needs

j0rd
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Had to take it on my phone because my camea is broke :/
http://i46.tinypic.com/333ie5l.jpg

Becca
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
So cute, love it!

kuzkasate
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I used to have one like 10 years ago, it was TINYYYY like very very very small & one of my friends got it out of its tank & ripped off its skin on its leg & it died. I cried for ages, cos I watched it die. I'll never forget that day :'(

=Lizzy
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Awwwwwwww im SOOO getting one

Nikki
06-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Awwwwwwww im SOOO getting one

Same, I would love one. They are really hard to look after though :(

Hollie
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I want oneeee, i was gonna get one ages ago, but then i didnt :'( ;)
But yeah, shes sooo cute! :)

-Danube-
06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Had to take it on my phone because my camea is broke :/
http://i46.tinypic.com/333ie5l.jpg

JORD HE'S HUGEEE :)

j0rd
06-07-2010, 08:45 PM
JORD HE'S HUGEEE :)

ik, some grow really big tho.

-:Undertaker:-
10-07-2010, 01:46 AM
That is adorable! .. how much do they cost Dan?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!