PDA

View Full Version : So RealID coming to the forums

Nemo
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
If you dont know what RealID, it's where you add people to your friends list using your email address, and when you do so, can see their real name and all their characters that they have and make. Blizzard then decided to be even stupider, and make it so when you post on the official forums, you post with your real name (more info is on the www.mmo-champion.com (http://www.mmo-champion.com) front page), in an attempt to get rid of trolling. Obviously everyone was like lolno and one of the blizzard employees to show that it was just a bunch of ******** that people could find your stuff, posted his name on the forums.

A couple hours after he did, someone made a thread with his address, family name, people in his family, pictures of his house, interests, facebook, phone number etc. Thread got over 4k replies, 20 replies a minute. I think it got deleted, but someone posted all the crap here;
http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Americans-are-bad-at-games/Real-Names-on-the-Official-Forums-New-REAL-ID-function?gr_i_ni

I thought it was pretty damn hilarious, i do kinda feel sorry for the guy though. Wonder how many pizzas he's gonna get sent to his house.

Thread closed by scott (Forum Moderator) As the thread has gone off-topic.

Charles
07-07-2010, 05:07 PM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25712374892&sid=1&pageNo=6

Not sure if its the one you were referring to as it's only got 500 replies, but how could he not see this coming?

Also I full on laughed out loud at someone supposedly supporting RealID:

"Bash the changes now, but when we finally catch Osama Bin Laden because he posted how Boomkins and starfall are OP, you will sing a different toon."

Nemo
07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25712374892&sid=1&pageNo=6

Not sure if its the one you were referring to as it's only got 500 replies, but how could he not see this coming?

Also I full on laughed out loud at someone supposedly supporting RealID:

"Bash the changes now, but when we finally catch Osama Bin Laden because he posted how Boomkins and starfall are OP, you will sing a different toon."I dont think that's the first one, but it's still one.

And lol, i really hope that's a joke

Axel
07-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Don't care, I don't post on the forums anyway.

Nemo
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't care, I don't post on the forums anyway.
did you even read the post!? it's more about laughing/feeling sorry for the blizzard employee

Axel
07-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Ye I saw, all it is is some very bored and sad individuals showing the 'power' of having someone's name on the internet. It's not like just because there's real ID on the forum, that suddenly everyone will have a stalker. Loads of people I know on Wow know my name, they don't go looking up my address. It won't happen, it's just the people on the forums trying to prove a point.

Nemo
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Ye I saw, all it is is some very bored and sad individuals showing the 'power' of having someone's name on the internet. It's not like just because there's real ID on the forum, that suddenly everyone will have a stalker. Loads of people I know on Wow know my name, they don't go looking up my address. It won't happen, it's just the people on the forums trying to prove a point.
Gonna quote a post as answer to that;

A Horror Story.

I'm a theoretical guy named Joe. Maybe I had a problem with your guild and I really want to get back at them. Maybe I'm a creepy stalker. Maybe you were a loot-ninja, or you hurt someone I know, and I'm pursuing my brand of justice.

I've seen your forum post; I know your name. I find your Facebook. I find information about you: what you like, food, colors, bands. Your hometown. Your family, your friends. You are embarrassed about this for some reason, but you LOVE the Beatles. You have a Dalmation, and you love the breed. You like dressing in wool, even though it's itchy.

I see your character name. I start a conversation with you in-game, on some pretext or other. Buying a boost, asking about your guild; asking about that awesome mount you have.

I steer the conversation toward something. Bands, music, dogs? I mention how much I like something you do.

You don't know any better. You're young, maybe, or taken by surprise, or tired after a long day's work, and it doesn't occur to you that I've socially engineered this encounter backwards, and am manipulating it for my own benefit. All you know is, some stranger turns out to have some of the likes you do, and they're nice--funny, friendly and outgoing, agreeing with much of what you say, making you think. You like it.

Then this guy--Joe. Maybe I flirt over a period of days, even weeks, until you've sent me your MSN, given me a picture of you half-clothed. Or maybe I join your guild and work my way to the top to destroy it from within. Maybe I know you like redheaded women, so I give you a picture of a hot redhead and tell you it's me. That I live only one town over from you, so it could happen IRL. Maybe I convince you to cyber one night while drunk.

Then I post these pictures, or screenshots of cyberlove, on your Facebook, where all of your RL friends and family can see it. Maybe I, this random person you liked who happened to share your likes and dislikes, give your RL personal information to those who dislike you in-game.

Are you stupid for falling for it? Probably. But everyone makes mistakes.

Is this fear-mongering? Sure. But it happens every day.

Should people simply not post their personal info? Of course. But they do, and this is simply another step shortening the distance between nutjobs and their victims.

I see no reason that a chance "to reduce trolls" should risk this sort of thing. It's foolish

And let me ask you a question:

Do you really think of all the millions of people who play WoW, there isn't at least one with the dedication, twisted views of reality and love of a challenge, one person messed up enough to take this too far?

Do you think that your Facebook plans and "troll issues" are worth that one murder? Or kidnapping? Or... ?

This is in addition to the myriad other reasons the majority of the playerbase doesn't want this. "If you don't like it, don't post." Well, I (and many others) won't, but I'm still extremely concerned with the way this is heading.

I hope you're willing to have sleepless nights for a good long while, because this can and will happen, and it will be on your heads.

Yeah, this post is dramatic. It's meant to be. Mock it if you want, or hold it up as an example of the "scare-mongering." But you know it could happen. You know it DOES happen.

You'll be making it easier for it to happen again.

But hey, there's so many people who play WoW. It'll be fine. Nobody would go after you or me; we don't do anything wrong, anything stupid.

That woman we'll read about on the news in six months? She did something stupid; made the wrong guy angry. He was nuts. It's just a rare case.

It'll never happen to us.

Axel
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Ye, if you're an idiot if you're a problem. Done something wrong? Don't post on the forum then. Done nothing to make anyone hate you? Feel free to post on the forum, they won't care. I agree, Real ID on the forums is stupid, but it won't lead to anything terrible, except if you're a moron. Accepting someone on MSN, sending them pictures? Ha... even if you did meet someone you like on Wow, you'd be an idiot to give them any details at all unless you can guarantee they are genuine with something like a video conversation. And people really aren't sad enough to stalk people for ninjaing loot...

Nemo
07-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Ye, if you're an idiot if you're a problem. Done something wrong? Don't post on the forum then. Done nothing to make anyone hate you? Feel free to post on the forum, they won't care. I agree, Real ID on the forums is stupid, but it won't lead to anything terrible, except if you're a moron. Accepting someone on MSN, sending them pictures? Ha... even if you did meet someone you like on Wow, you'd be an idiot to give them any details at all unless you can guarantee they are genuine with something like a video conversation. And people really aren't sad enough to stalk people for ninjaing loot...there's crazy ppl out there nd they're making a problem when they're really doesnt need to be

Axel
07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
there's crazy ppl out there nd they're making a problem when they're really doesnt need to be

What's stopping someone from doing it without real ID? People meet people over Wow without already knowing their interests, they might be crazy people too. Real ID on the forums is stupid, but it's not making the problem any worse.

Wig44.
07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
there's crazy ppl out there nd they're making a problem when they're really doesnt need to be

Zomg if you post on the forums I'll get your sirname!!!! Probably wouldn't even be able to pronounce it though lol.

Nemo
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
What's stopping someone from doing it without real ID? People meet people over Wow without already knowing their interests, they might be crazy people too. Real ID on the forums is stupid, but it's not making the problem any worse.
They aren't making the problem worse, they're creating an entirely new one. People who feel they'd rather be a lil more secure, won't bother posting on the forums, not to mention how easy it'll be to find someone's age and potentially 'prey' on them. I know it's extremes, but it's all highly possible.

Zomg if you post on the forums I'll get your sirname!!!! Probably wouldn't even be able to pronounce it though lol.
LOL THATS FUNNY COZ IM LIKE NOT ENGLISH

Wig44.
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
They aren't making the problem worse, they're creating an entirely new one. People who feel they'd rather be a lil more secure, won't bother posting on the forums, not to mention how easy it'll be to find someone's age and potentially 'prey' on them. I know it's extremes, but it's all highly possible.

LOL THATS FUNNY COZ IM LIKE NOT ENGLISH

LOL ACTUALLY IT'S AN INSIDE JOKE NOT ABOUT YOU BETWEEN ME AND BAILEY THE WORLD DOESNT REVOLVE AROUND YOU. Its to do with someones mouth maybe that explains the whole 'can't pronounce it'.

Nemo
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
LOL ACTUALLY IT'S AN INSIDE JOKE NOT ABOUT YOU BETWEEN ME AND BAILEY THE WORLD DOESNT REVOLVE AROUND YOU. Its to do with someones mouth maybe that explains the whole 'can't pronounce it'.
WELL ITS EVEN FUNNIER TELLING AN INSIDE JOKE TO SOMEOEN OUTSIDE LLOLOL. Also, cant blame me considering you've been a racist **** towards me before, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for you to post something ignorant and unfunny as that.

Bailey
07-07-2010, 05:58 PM
WELL ITS EVEN FUNNIER TELLING AN INSIDE JOKE TO SOMEOEN OUTSIDE LLOLOL. Also, cant blame me considering you've been a racist **** towards me before, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for you to post something ignorant and unfunny as that.

I've never even spoken to Will about you, we were talking about pronouncing words wrong because of our accents.

Nemo
07-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I've never even spoken to Will about you, we were talking about pronouncing words wrong because of our accents.
I didnt say you had...?

Bailey
07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I didnt say you had...?

Just saying, just in case you got the wrong idea :)

Wig44.
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I didnt say you had...?

I GREW UP IN A DEPRIVED PART OF LONDON, I SMOKE WEED I R HARD, IM PERSECUTED, IM NOT ENGLISH AND YOU ARE LOLOL

Ok Mr I-love-being-stereotypes go have fun trying to get into oxford/cambridge.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!