PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft - Forum users will need to use real names

peteyt
07-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm often visiting the BBC news section on their site, especially for news to use on my radio station.

I came across an interesting thing that world of warcraft forum users will now have to use their first and last name, real name, as their username.

This is to try and stop spam, trolls and other stuff, but sounds like it will cause more problems.

What I really don't get is how they wont know if their "real" names are fake. I could call myself anything from Joe Blogs to Tom Baker and people could think thats my real name.

The article also states that an employee showd this was a good idea by changing his forum name to his real name and then ended up getting users finding information online such as phone numbers and photograhps.

You can read the full article at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10543100.stm

Thread moved by scott (Forum Moderator) From 'Online Games'

Swearwolf
07-07-2010, 10:22 PM
it's kinda crap. i won't be using the forums anymore.

peteyt
07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Someone can close this - didn't see the area dedicated to WOW sorry

Bailey
08-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Mica Whipple, you'd just use a fake alias.

Flisker
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I hardly use the forums anyway so it wouldn't really bother me. RealID is very unreliable at the moment anyway, for example, every single day I will get the message "Battle.net is unavailable" and I would have to close and reopen the game to get it to work again after a certain amount of time.

Colossus
08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
That'd be .. creepy. Imagine getting loads of FR's on Facebook saying 'WoW'.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!