PDA

View Full Version : Foreign languages in HxHD

Keri?!
08-07-2010, 11:28 AM
So now, we're not allowed to speak in any foreign languages or we get a kick and a warning from HxHD..

Yeah, okay I do see some of the point in that but isn't it a bit ridiculous?
I thought habbox was a international fansite.. Meaning people from all over the world are invited, I understand some people may insult people in that language but I don't think there's any need to get a kick as soon as you say a sentence say, for example, in german.
I don't understand why everyone is so offended by someone talking in another language, especially if it's to someone else who is also speaking that language.
okay, I admit I speak german every now and then on habbo just for the sake of it but I don't expect to be kicked from a habbo room for saying like 1/2 sentences in german.
Can you enlighten me on why it's so bad to speak another language..

Also, it's not in the rules either, so it's not like it's an obvious rule.
http://rbguides.com/screenshots/d2e1c683.png

Josh
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
This is unfair? Discriminatory! I am making a stand as some people shall know.

I may act childish by getting banned from the HxHD purposely, I can agree with that but people who know no English whatsoever getting warned? If they are insulting other users in their language... English people won't know that? The childish foreigner is probably having a laugh, but no one else knows what it means.

IF and only if the person decides to translate it and it turns out to be rude, sure, give them a warning.

Sorry Habbic, don't like this rule.

Andii
08-07-2010, 11:35 AM
i agree i think its a stupid rule tbh. . . its great to meet other people from different countries and i thought that everyone was welcome in HxHD but this rule makes it seem as if habbos that speak other languages are not aloud in. . .

my guess is that the next rule for the room is
No gays/bi/lesbians aloud.

I find the rule to be a bit racist as it is getting people kicked and banned for being who they are and being comforable with themselves. . .Talking in their language also helps others to understand a bit about their country and maybe even help users to learn the language and pick up on it.

as keri has clearly showen all the rules there. rule 2 clearly states.
2.Don't be racist

is this new rule not breaking another rule????

xxMATTGxx
08-07-2010, 11:55 AM
So now, we're not allowed to speak in any foreign languages or we get a kick and a warning from HxHD..

I thought habbox was a international fansite.. Meaning people from all over the world are invited, I understand some people may insult people in that language but I don't think there's any need to get a kick as soon as you say a sentence say, for example, in german.
I don't understand why everyone is so offended by someone talking in another language, especially if it's to someone else who is also speaking that language.
okay, I admit I speak german every now and then on habbo just for the sake of it but I don't expect to be kicked from a habbo room for saying like 1/2 sentences in german.

In a way we are international but you have to remember Habbo.com is an International English speaking hotel. They do not get kicked straight away for speaking in their own language, they get asked or advised to speak in English while in the room. This way everyone can understand each other without issues, if it is a private conversation for whatever reason then they can use the whisper function. The odd word like "Bonjour" is not breaking the rules.

This is unfair? Discriminatory! I am making a stand as some people shall know.

I may act childish by getting banned from the HxHD purposely, I can agree with that but people who know no English whatsoever getting warned? If they are insulting other users in their language... English people won't know that? The childish foreigner is probably having a laugh, but no one else knows what it means.

IF and only if the person decides to translate it and it turns out to be rude, sure, give them a warning.

Sorry Habbic, don't like this rule.

In the other thread you actually agreed with this rule. Interesting!

i agree i think its a stupid rule tbh. . . its great to meet other people from different countries and i thought that everyone was welcome in HxHD but this rule makes it seem as if habbos that speak other languages are not aloud in. . .

my guess is that the next rule for the room is
No gays/bi/lesbians aloud.

I find the rule to be a bit racist as it is getting people kicked and banned for being who they are and being comforable with themselves. . .Talking in their language also helps others to understand a bit about their country and maybe even help users to learn the language and pick up on it.

as keri has clearly showen all the rules there. rule 2 clearly states.
2.Don't be racist

is this new rule not breaking another rule????

It is great to meet people from around the world, but you won't be able to communicate fully with them unless you use a translator. Then you could abuse that and insult/offend other people in that language. Regarding banning gays/bi/lesbians, just no. Why we wouldn't do that? Most of Habbox Management are gay/bi/lesbian!

I'm not huge on the rule, but I can see the reasons why it is banned.

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
@MattG - I agreed with it in theory. Then when it comes along and I've seen it actually occurring and its actually really mean. I am in there a lot (unless I am banned) and its crap in reality.

Keri?!
08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
In a way we are international but you have to remember Habbo.com is an International English speaking hotel. They do not get kicked straight away for speaking in their own language, they get asked or advised to speak in English while in the room. This way everyone can understand each other without issues, if it is a private conversation for whatever reason then they can use the whisper function. The odd word like "Bonjour" is not breaking the rules.

Okay fair enough but I still don't really see the reason as to why it's completely banned, I got kicked for saying "ich liebe dich mit alle meine herz" which just means I love you with all my heart and that was not offensive in the slightest :S
In fact I was saying it to a staff member who responded in german aswell, so I just thought it was a bit unfair.
Can you at least put it in the rules because as far as I'm aware there is no way of knowing that this is banned from HxHD.

Alkaz
08-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Keri although you know its harmless, anyone in there unless they speak the language they aren't going to know what it means and it could be offensive. HxHD doesn't have a full team of translators to say if something is rude or not so stopping it like this is the best way. Well imo anyway.

Keri?!
08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'll just back down.
Although, I was speaking to a staff member who fully knew what it meant as I know they can read german..

Just sayin' anyways

xxMATTGxx
08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Okay fair enough but I still don't really see the reason as to why it's completely banned, I got kicked for saying "ich liebe dich mit alle meine herz" which just means I love you with all my heart and that was not offensive in the slightest :S
In fact I was saying it to a staff member who responded in german aswell, so I just thought it was a bit unfair.
Can you at least put it in the rules because as far as I'm aware there is no way of knowing that this is banned from HxHD.

I understand but a member of HxHD staff would have to translate everything to double check. Or if a user translate it and then says "This user just insulted me blah blah" etc. I'm not sure why it isn't on the rule sticky, but it will be soon.

Keri?!
08-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Okay, well at least it's on the rules so people know about it
I still think it's a somewhat silly idea in some ways but I do see reasoning to it now, thanks.

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Okay. I'm deadly serious about this but the maintenance message was sent to me in whatever language it is...

Does the hotel cater for international non-English speaking people?

http://i30.tinypic.com/2125ylt.png

Edit: It's danish....

xxMATTGxx
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Okay. I'm deadly serious about this but the maintenance message was sent to me in whatever language it is...

Does the hotel cater for international non-English speaking people?

http://i30.tinypic.com/2125ylt.png

Well they never sent an English one, so not really.

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Then how come they sent a Danish message to me then? All it says is the hotel is closing down for some important updates.

xxMATTGxx
08-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Then how come they sent a Danish message to me then? All it says is the hotel is closing down for some important updates.

If they were going to cater for Non-English people as well as English speaking people, then they would of sent multiple messages out in many languages. Which they didn't, they only sent one which was not in English but most likely Danish or something. It is either Staff having a joke/taking the piss or a mistake.

Kieran
08-07-2010, 12:20 PM
If they were going to cater for Non-English people as well as English speaking people, then they would of sent multiple messages out in many languages. Which they didn't, they only sent one which was not in English but most likely Danish or something. It is either Staff having a joke/taking the piss or a mistake.

They probably have a set system for sending out update messages and someone clicked the wrong one and didn't realise before the hotel went offline.

Hecktix
08-07-2010, 12:21 PM
It's a stupid rule in my opinion, it's like a shopkeeper barring people who speak little or no English from their shop - just ridiculous and wouldn't be done.

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:25 PM
If the staff member doesn't know what on earth they are saying, why would it offend them? Just give the staff permission to ignore any people speaking another language.

xxMATTGxx
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
If the staff member doesn't know what on earth they are saying, why would it offend them? Just give the staff permission to ignore any people speaking another language.

And also ignore any complaints from users? (Sorry Habbic/Scottish :P)

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:29 PM
And also ignore any complaints from users? (Sorry Habbic/Scottish :P)

I think they already have special permission for the frequent nagging from Habbic/Scott. ;) I don't see why this is any different.

It should be optional. If the staff choose to translate it and it is offensive, the user gets a warning... If the staff don't translate it, they can ignore it without any response or with a simple, "Hey, I don't understand... can you speak English?"

leer34$
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
This is very good, sick of having to translate into English . Good Idea Should be rule. :)

Shar
08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I think they already have special permission for the frequent nagging from Habbic/Scott. ;) I don't see why this is any different.

It should be optional. If the staff choose to translate it and it is offensive, the user gets a warning... If the staff don't translate it, they can ignore it without any response or with a simple, "Hey, I don't understand... can you speak English?"
We do ask them to speak English. However when people we KNOW that can speak English but speak another language and we tell them to stop we are obliged to kick *coughs Wiizzz/Josh/Colin* So I don't really see the point you personally are trying to prove.

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM
We do ask them to speak English. However when people we KNOW that can speak English but speak another language and we tell them to stop we are obliged to kick *coughs Wiizzz/Josh/Colin* So I don't really see the point you personally are trying to prove.

But with my way, you can basically ignore them if they continue to talk in their own language... Not just: warn warn warn and get out!!!!

Sarah
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I have been told off for speaking welsh which is a language of the UK. This language rule will turn away people not welcome them.

Shar
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
But with my way, you can basically ignore them if they continue to talk in their own language... Not just: warn warn warn and get out!!!!
No, we can't simply ignore them, especially if we get complaints about them.

Josh
08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
If you get specific complaints, you can obviously translate it then. What are the chances of another non-english person knowing that language being in the same room who isn't each others friend? (Don't know if that made sense.) Instead of making a stupid rule, make a disclaimer instead.

myke
08-07-2010, 01:03 PM
To be fair, I reported a post on the forum a few weeks ago written in a dutch language or something and got a PM saying that it's no longer breaking the rules to speak in another language - so why in hxhd?

Sarah
08-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Its unfair to Russian/Chinese/Japanese people. There hotels closed and redirected to english ones meaning that they are not welcome to speak their own language?! (in HxHD anyway..)

Yupt
08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
How much of a problem is it really of people being offensive in other languages? How many times has it actually happened?

Grig
08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Has this actually been such a huge problem to make it into a rule?! I've spoken once or twice with a friend in Russian in there, why would someone purposely come into a help desk where they don't know anyone and start swearing it's silly. You probably wouldn't even know. I was all against this rule and still am because it's harmless, just because people got fed up of seeing another language.

---------- Post added 08-07-2010 at 09:20 PM ----------

To add, that person was simply asking some things about the client, not swearing. So I say silly.

Nixt
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
This is currently being discussed with HxHD and General Management, we will get back to you with a clear explanation as to what is happening soon.

HotelUser
08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
A lot of you are making very valid points, and they would normally persuade me to argue in your favour, but unfortunately it's just not an option at the moment to open the gates entirely. The unfortunate truth is that there are trolling users who, more often than not, use foreign languages to insult other users. This is not Habbox Forum. We do not have the luxury of taking time translating posts, and giving guarantee'd bans to rulebreakers. We have to deal with rule breaking fairly quickly and that's just not a option when it comes to trying to translate everything another user is saying before it leaves the screen.

Usually when I see a genuine foreign user (and it's quite obvious because they will either have a freshly registered name or non english tags) I use Google translator to explain that they have to speak English in the room (such as I did last night when a Norwegian user was here). Google translator is good for that.

It's not like we're directly targeting foreign and kicking them on sight--far from it. If a user in the help desk is genuinely not able to speak English, and through google translator it's obvious that they're just here to be friendly, then I see no problem with amending this rule to state that so long as the user doesn't know English, and so long as it's obvious they're here to be fairly well behaved, they're allowed to stay.

For the record I have never seen a user speaking Russian, or Chinese in the help desk :P

If it wasn't on our rule list, apologies. It's been added now.

Josh
08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Usually when I see a genuine foreign user (and it's quite obvious because they will either have a freshly registered name or non english tags) I use Google translator to explain that they have to speak English in the room (such as I did last night when a Norwegian user was here). Google translator is good for that.

Explaining my first ban?

Hecktix
08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
What about users just wanting to speak other languages for a laugh with their friends?

HotelUser
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Explaining my first ban?

I'm going to assume you're Wiizzz because he seems to be the only English user getting into trouble for breaking this rule :)

Even if I disregard the rule, I know three staffmembers, and the general manager himself requested that you stop, yet you persisted. Then I woke up thismorning to receive a PM explaining that you had to be kicked from the room for two hours straight. Your ban is more than fair and you're quite lucky the staffmember kicking you didn't extend it more than I would have (especially after I cut you some slack last night):P

What about users just wanting to speak other languages for a laugh with their friends?

I'm thinking that if it's obvious that they don't know English that they be allowed to speak in their native tongue. If they know English then I'd prefer them to stick to just that. The reason for this being that usually when users in the help desk speak different languages "for a laugh" it includes some sort of mockery of another user.

Tintinnabulate
08-07-2010, 02:16 PM
This rule is ridiculous, simply ridiculous.

If I walk in and start speaking in Hindi, even if I am being rude, only the people who understand Hindi will know. If I am being rude in Hindi towards a user, they are free to use Google Translator and find out if I am being rude, and if I am, they can send the screen shot to HxHD Management. There is no need to hand out warnings. Staff can simply ignore those speaking in a different language.

Its a help desk, a desk where people can have a chat, not some super strict room.

I think I have shown General Management enough times this week (well Alkaz and MattGarner) how HabboxForum (and also HxHD) has gone from being very very relaxed in rules to being super strict. Management can claim the rules are relaxed in HxF right now and it may be in comparison to when ---MAD--- ran it, but its still more strict than in 2005-2006.

It now seems HxHD is also making silly rules.

HotelUser
08-07-2010, 02:18 PM

If I walk in and start speaking in Hindi, even if I am being rude, only the people who understand Hindi will know. If I am being rude in Hindi towards a user, they are free to use Google Translator and find out if I am being rude, and if I am, they can send the screen shot to HxHD Management. There is no need to hand out warnings. Staff can simply ignore those speaking in a different language.

Its a help desk, a desk where people can have a chat, not some super strict room.

I think I have shown General Management enough times this week (well Alkaz and MattGarner) how HabboxForum (and also HxHD) has gone from being very very relaxed in rules to being super strict. Management can claim the rules are relaxed in HxF right now and it may be in comparison to when ---MAD--- ran it, but its still more strict than in 2005-2006.

In 2005 you were not allowed to swear in HxHD, staff could issue permanent bans or bans lasting longer than a week as opposed to bans now which only last several hours to several days and if you weren't speaking in English, or you were roleplaying, you weren't allowed in the room at all. How on Earth are you justifying us being more strict now :P

Tintinnabulate
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM
In 2005 you were not allowed to swear in HxHD, staff could issue permanent bans or bans lasting longer than a week as opposed to bans now which only last several hours to several days and if you weren't speaking in English, or you were roleplaying, you weren't allowed in the room at all. How on Earth are you justifying us being more strict now :P

I think swearing is only allowed not as Habbo have allowed it.
Either way, not allowing people to speak in a foreign language is a bad idea and I have explained why - which you seem to have ignored.

Grig
08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I am having to agree with you 100% on this point, well summed up.

Also David, if you do that kudos on you. But many staff simply kick genuine users without attempting to communicate with them as much.

,Lexiilu
08-07-2010, 06:49 PM
so we probably almost all know i work there.
I personally find this rule unnecessary. normally i'd be all for the new rules HxHD has to offer but this one is excessive.
honestly, if you're going to take the time to translate what a user says about you, you have the time to send it to super staff and david.
i also think that if you really care what they have to say then you need to lighten up. they most likely know nothing about you and are just doing it for a laugh. i know that no one likes to be put down or made fun of or called names, but really. let people speak their language. if they're flooding or you know they're being rude because you know that language, then by all means, kick them. but i know that for myself, i used to have fun little french conversations with users who came in the help desk. we'd talk about our names, how we were doing, etc. in fact, on the day that this rule was implemented, earlier i had met two french speaking users and having a conversation about them. obviously if staff are involved they aren't going to be badmouthing a user, as they'd get in trouble.
i really don't feel that this rule is needed. i have only had a problem...once? with people being rude in another language and i'm not even sure if they were, it was what Habbic was telling me.
and what happens for those other hotels who close at midnight? they can't come in and chat? that's why we've had so many foreign users. well, one reason.
anyways, this is excessive, and i'm sorry Habbic/Scott, but you insult others in english 24/7, so why shouldn't they insult you back in the language they speak? and oh by the way, THEY DON'T. you've only told me they have one time. and I didn't translate it because I couldn't kick, nor did I have a norwegian keyboard.

all in all, i think this rule should go. that's just my opinion though.

xxMATTGxx
08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
The rule is nearly at the end of discussion and hopefully the outcome will please people. We are waiting for a view off someone and then we will go from there.

GommeInc
08-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Seems kinda pointless to be honest. Speaking in another language is pointless in a room as no-one is going to understand you anyway, but that is not to say it should be banned, seeing as it's Habbo and if I remember correctly it only stays on screen for a matter of seconds. If it's spammed on screen, I assume you've already got a rule for that? And if it's to offend another user, I again, assume you already have a room that which revoles around the words "Do not be rude (to other people)" :rolleyes:

Banning it when there are already rules in place is unproductive.

Storking
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
This has to be the stupidest rule ever enforced. -_-
I was in the help desk a few days ago and spoke a bit of spanish then was told to stop by Garion or I would receive a kick.
Yet there were genuine spanish users in the room speaking spanish too.. What does this rule say to them? It doesn't show Habbox as much of a international multicultural fansite!

Such rules really put me off coming to the help desk in future and i'm sure they put other people off too.

The need to attract foreign users hugely out weighs the need to stop a few english users from throwing harmless insults in another language.

Inseriousity.
08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I spoke in french the other day and I never got told off? I too think it will put off foreign users if they are told to stop speaking their own language, however I also think this rule hasn't been enforced as strictly as it's been made out on here? If it has then it might not be the rule that's the problem but the inconsistant application of it.

Nixt
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM
This rule is under review and I apologise for the delay in getting back to you, Roxy has came online to a lot of work so we are awaiting her response but she has a lot to do before she gets onto this part of her list.

HotelUser
08-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Between the discussion we (Garion, Matt, Roxy and I) had, and what you guys think, we're going to remove the rule altogether :)

Keep in mind, if this causes trouble we'll be required to reinforce it, which we don't really want to do!

GommeInc
09-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Between the discussion we (Garion, Matt, Roxy and I) had, and what you guys think, we're going to remove the rule altogether :)

Keep in mind, if this causes trouble we'll be required to reinforce it, which we don't really want to do!
Just use the rules you already have dammit! If they're spamming it up, kick 'em and if they're being rude kick'em. :P

-:Undertaker:-
09-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I think this rule is a symptom of 'somebody with nothing to do creating something to do in which to occupy their time with'. A silly rule (glad its being reviewed) and I doubt most people know the rules of the hotel itself, let alone the rules of the Habbox Help Desk. I have noticed over the past couple of years (and no this is not a criticism of the staff of the help desk, more a change in the hotel itself) that staff in the Help Desk spend more time enforcing HxHD 'rules' than giving advice and help.

HotelUser
09-07-2010, 02:26 AM
I think this rule is a symptom of 'somebody with nothing to do creating something to do in which to occupy their time with'. A silly rule (glad its being reviewed) and I doubt most people know the rules of the hotel itself, let alone the rules of the Habbox Help Desk. I have noticed over the past couple of years (and no this is not a criticism of the staff of the help desk, more a change in the hotel itself) that staff in the Help Desk spend more time enforcing HxHD 'rules' than giving advice and help.

Dan, scroll up--the rule has been changed :P

About your latter comment, A year or two ago I would not have hesitated to agree. However we're nowhere near as strict now, with bans lasting several hours. We get far more help queries now due to a number of things, the removal of Habbo X's, Habbo Helpers, introduction of the traders pass, the merge, Habbo IDs, etc. When Nvrspk tried to make the help desk a more lounge oriented room in attempt to combat what you said, it completely failed :P

Grig
09-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Glad to see it's finally dealt with. Too many long winded rules are never good and make it less user friendly and more dreary.

Thanks for listening :)!

HotelUser
09-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Glad to see it's finally dealt with. Too many long winded rules are never good and make it less user friendly and more dreary.

Thanks for listening :)!

Hopefully what happened tonight after we lifted the rule isn't an indication of what's to come. There was some trouble from several users and even one staffmember. I would hate for them to ruin it for everyone else, which would of course result in this rule being reinstated.

Josh
09-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Good riddance.

HotelUser
09-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Good riddance.

Something told me you'd take on that mindset :)

SMStoPAYPAL
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I totally agree to banning foreign languages in all Habbox.com rooms.

You are not allowed to speak in foreign languages on the forum, as it blocks most people out of the conversation, so why should it be allowed in Habbox.com rooms?

scottish
10-07-2010, 11:30 PM

You are not allowed to speak in foreign languages on the forum, as it blocks most people out of the conversation, so why should it be allowed in Habbox.com rooms?

I agree, yesterday like 3 people were swearing in foriegn languages

nice 1 hxhd lol...........

Also it's stupid as if i went into a room full of people speaking foreign i wouldn't stay to get help i'd go to the better help desk that speaks english

It's hard to post about this without being racist :(

GommeInc
11-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Hardly, it would be a minority speaking it and when posted on a forum it lasts longer than 1 minute as is with Habbo :S If anything it comes under pointless posting on the forum, as it's exactly that - pointless to post in another language.

Richie
11-07-2010, 05:02 PM
The majority of the ppl who use dif languages are english speaking staff, its annoying as **** nuf said.

scottish
11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
The majority of the ppl who use dif languages are english speaking staff, its annoying as **** nuf said.

yeh out of everyone that i've seen speaking in a foreign language i've seen every one of them speaking english.

Calvin
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
What are we meant to do if Habbo merges all the foreign hotels too? (rumoured in the news & rumours section).

scottish
12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Lol some kid here atm going about saying suck my ****, and walking up to ppl n says ***** in spanish

lmao..

gd decision on the whole rule thing.... :rolleyes:

Nixt
13-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Lol some kid here atm going about saying suck my ****, and walking up to ppl n says ***** in spanish

lmao..

Then alert a member of staff.

The thing is only a very few amount of people will understand, so it really isn't a big deal. Equally if someone is being rude in a different language you can still report them to the Habbo Moderators.

scottish
13-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Then alert a member of staff.

The thing is only a very few amount of people will understand, so it really isn't a big deal. Equally if someone is being rude in a different language you can still report them to the Habbo Moderators.

It is a big deal, just because people don't understand doesn't mean people can be rude in HxHD

Erm when was the last time you were on habbo? :S If you knew anything about habbo you'd know habbo mods do not ban unless its VERY severe. If you reported someone for being rude you will get a staff says notice saying use ignore.

I don't see why it should be allowed

It's a UK based fansite, everyone in the room speaks english, so allowing this is basically just asking people to be rude in other languages as i see no other reason behind it..

Nixt
13-07-2010, 11:06 AM
It is a big deal, just because people don't understand doesn't mean people can be rude in HxHD

Erm when was the last time you were on habbo? :S If you knew anything about habbo you'd know habbo mods do not ban unless its VERY severe. If you reported someone for being rude you will get a staff says notice saying use ignore.

I don't see why it should be allowed

It's a UK based fansite, everyone in the room speaks english, so allowing this is basically just asking people to be rude in other languages as i see no other reason behind it..

I was on Habbo yesterday. I go on Habbo daily. I know that if you report people for being rude, and they continue to do so, they get dealt with as far as I have seen.

If you believe someone is being rude, then tell a member of staff and they will be dealt with in the way they would be if they were rude using the English language.

The use of languages will not be banned.

scottish
13-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I was on Habbo yesterday. I go on Habbo daily. I know that if you report people for being rude, and they continue to do so, they get dealt with as far as I have seen.

If you believe someone is being rude, then tell a member of staff and they will be dealt with in the way they would be if they were rude using the English language.

The use of languages will not be banned.

I can assure you that is ********.

I've reported people for being rude, advertising c2c, etc and none of them have been banned, i get the 'Use ignore' or 'We highly advise you do not go on webcam for anyone' auto messages and the fat ***** do absolutely nothing. I don't really expect more from 12 year old moderators getting paid $1.50 an hour so

Explain why it shouldnt be banned, i see no reason behind it other than you WANT people to be rude in other languages

There is absolutely NO need to speak in any other languages in HxHD when EVERYONE speaks english or close to it (two norwegian people came in speaking partially english so clear they can do so)

Nixt
13-07-2010, 11:24 AM
My reasoning is that there is also no reason to stop people using different languages. People from a different country may wish to utilise the room as a place to discuss something in their own language (this does, and I have seen it, happen). Equally, if people want to converse in a different language for whatever reason, I don't see any justified reason to stop them.

Stopping languages results in even worse behaviour, individuals who do not believe they should be banned (which is a significant majority over those who don't) will attempt to campaign against it by violating the rule in HxHD. This results in more people getting into trouble and getting banned that is strictly necessary.

Of course there is the problem that people use different languages to be rude, but in this event, I can only see two reasonable outcomes:
1) No one really understands, and therefore no one cares.
2) Someone does understand, then they can report this to the staff who can deal with it.

No real problem there as far as I can see.

I think the use of foreign languages is just a silly fad - a silly fad that will only be prolonged as long as individuals continue to complain about it.

scottish
13-07-2010, 11:33 AM
My reasoning is that there is also no reason to stop people using different languages. People from a different country may wish to utilise the room as a place to discuss something in their own language (this does, and I have seen it, happen). Equally, if people want to converse in a different language for whatever reason, I don't see any justified reason to stop them.

Stopping languages results in even worse behaviour, individuals who do not believe they should be banned (which is a significant majority over those who don't) will attempt to campaign against it by violating the rule in HxHD. This results in more people getting into trouble and getting banned that is strictly necessary.

Of course there is the problem that people use different languages to be rude, but in this event, I can only see two reasonable outcomes:
1) No one really understands, and therefore no one cares.
2) Someone does understand, then they can report this to the staff who can deal with it.

No real problem there as far as I can see.

I think the use of foreign languages is just a silly fad - a silly fad that will only be prolonged as long as individuals continue to complain about it.

Becuase 99% of the time it's simply to break a rule, no-one ive ever seen in HxHD has been unable to speak english or very close to it, so the rule is just advertising being rude in foreign languages as staff cannot be ****** to translate everything, and translators often fail as i've proved to hoteluser as someone was being rude, hoteluser translated at it came out as crap... Habbox is a UK based fansite, not a Norweigan based fansite. If half of HxHD couldnt speak english i'd see a point but as EVERYONE can speak english the rule is simply ******ed. Also it doesn't encourage the purpose of the room, HELP DESK. If you go into a room full of people speaking in some weird foreign language you wouldn't stay, you'd go to the next help desk and actually get help rather than being isolated from the conversation as you don't speak that language.

Stopping languages results in even worse behaviour, individuals who do not believe they should be banned (which is a significant majority over those who don't) will attempt to campaign against it by violating the rule in HxHD.

Do you realise how stupid that statement is? lol...

Oh people don't like the rule about being rude, lets all be rude and get the rule removed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No you ban the people who abuse the rule and move the **** on... the help desk obviously has crap management if you remove rules because people abuse them lmfao......

At your list of 2 crap refer to the whole hoteluser lost in translation thing in first paragraph

Nixt
13-07-2010, 11:38 AM
The time I have spent in HxHD recently, which is relatively often, has not indicated to me this is a massive problem. I have not received any massive complaints from David or any members of HxHD staff saying it has become a massive issue. It is generally quite easy to tell when someone is taking the piss, foreign language or not.

Regarding my reference to people campaigning against the rule by breaking it, I meant in the context of the fact that the rule is pointless or flawed. Which this is. It just makes no sense and creates an authoritarian atmosphere we want to avoid. Find me another room on Habbo that has banned foreign languages? It makes no sense to do it. It is a minor annoyance that will fade in time, when trolls find another way to annoy people.

Your opinion is duly noted but the rule will not be re-added. This decision was made on the basis of thorough discussion between myself, Roxy, Matt and David. It will remain our decision.

scottish
13-07-2010, 11:44 AM
The time I have spent in HxHD recently, which is relatively often, has not indicated to me this is a massive problem. I have not received any massive complaints from David or any members of HxHD staff saying it has become a massive issue. It is generally quite easy to tell when someone is taking the piss, foreign language or not.

Regarding my reference to people campaigning against the rule by breaking it, I meant in the context of the fact that the rule is pointless or flawed. Which this is. It just makes no sense and creates an authoritarian atmosphere we want to avoid. Find me another room on Habbo that has banned foreign languages? It makes no sense to do it. It is a minor annoyance that will fade in time, when trolls find another way to annoy people.

Your opinion is duly noted but the rule will not be re-added. This decision was made on the basis of thorough discussion between myself, Roxy, Matt and David. It will remain our decision.

It's not a MASSIVE issue however there is an issue..

And no it's not, evidently...

It does make sense to do it, why the **** did hxf ban it for ages if it made no sense to do it? :S

It prevents people being rude so that staff can actually do their job (if their not afk)

also why was it added then removed

very professional lmao

Nixt
13-07-2010, 11:51 AM
It's not a MASSIVE issue however there is an issue..

And no it's not, evidently...

It does make sense to do it, why the **** did hxf ban it for ages if it made no sense to do it? :S

It prevents people being rude so that staff can actually do their job (if their not afk)

also why was it added then removed

very professional lmao

The issue is minimal as you say, so there is no need to overreact to it by creating a whole rule regarding it which creates a flare up in rule breaking. The rule on foreign languages on the forum was repealed as it was considered pointless. Again, it was an over reaction to events at the time, that is why I removed it when I completely rewrote the forum rules a while back.

I apologise that you feel that the events were unprofessional. However, as humans it is only natural mistakes are made or reactions to certain situations as they happen are seen as unnecessary in retrospect. When the rule was introduced it was done so because it seemed like a pressing issue, however upon reflection it was removed. This is not unheard of and I don't think it really affects you massively and neither does it affect anyone's overall view of Habbox.

If you are unhappy with the behaviour of individuals in HxHD then please report it to a member of HxHD staff. If you are seriously unhappy with the repeal of this rule, I will say that there are plenty of other rooms on Habbo that you are free to spend your time in if you have such a considerable aversion to people using foreign languages - as this rule will not be reinstated.

scottish
13-07-2010, 12:05 PM
The issue is minimal as you say, so there is no need to overreact to it by creating a whole rule regarding it which creates a flare up in rule breaking. The rule on foreign languages on the forum was repealed as it was considered pointless. Again, it was an over reaction to events at the time, that is why I removed it when I completely rewrote the forum rules a while back.

I apologise that you feel that the events were unprofessional. However, as humans it is only natural mistakes are made or reactions to certain situations as they happen are seen as unnecessary in retrospect. When the rule was introduced it was done so because it seemed like a pressing issue, however upon reflection it was removed. This is not unheard of and I don't think it really affects you massively and neither does it affect anyone's overall view of Habbox.

If you are unhappy with the behaviour of individuals in HxHD then please report it to a member of HxHD staff. If you are seriously unhappy with the repeal of this rule, I will say that there are plenty of other rooms on Habbo that you are free to spend your time in if you have such a considerable aversion to people using foreign languages - as this rule will not be reinstated.

Every issue should be addressed not just MASSIVe issues. In no way did i state it was minimal.

Now you're sounding like the idiots in the past ~ DONT LIKE IT DONT COME HERE?????????? That has to be one of the most downright idiotic statements made by management

And it doesn't matter i'll just continue to be rude as i'm sure plenty of others are.

Also if this rule isn't going to be implemented i suggest staff just completely ignore foreign languages, as i've been told off twice for saying 'lol says hoteluser and rnb in the same sentence to make them wonder what im saying' in norwegian and czech, apparently for being rude, which it in no way is rude, so either ban foreign languages, or do nothing about them as clearly the staff are failing miserably at any handling of this.

Nixt
13-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Complaints about individual members of staff can be made either in the Complaints About Habbox Staff thread or by PMing myself or their relevant Manager. Evidence to back up your complaint is preferred.

If you believe a member of HxHD staff is warning you unnecessarily, this is the appropriate procedure to follow. Thanks :).

scottish
13-07-2010, 12:22 PM
If unnecessary warnings is against staff rules i don't see how there are any HxHD staff left..

Nixt
13-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Evidently because no one has complained about it, which leads me to believe it is not as big an issue as you may be making out.

scottish
13-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I got warned for saying 'rothes' earlier......... lmfao as did faboosh

Nixt
13-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Naming a town in Scotland is an offence, if I am honest. Jk ;)

If you are warned wrongly, all you have to do is PM the relevant individuals with evidence and it will be looked into and dealt with. There is nothing more I can say.

scottish
16-07-2010, 04:37 PM
this rule is clearly failing

for the last 2 hours some kids have been provoking me and being rude to me in foreign languages, hoteluser has sat there and done absolutely **** all yet when i'm rude back i get a warning

Learn to do your god damn job hoteluser

Andii
16-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I got warned for saying 'rothes' earlier......... lmfao as did faboosh

its true i was there. how is it that certain members (moto and take-out) are aloud to swear to us in french and not get one single warning whereas we get warnings for just saying hello or something. . .????

scottish
16-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeh thats pissing me off

they've been rude for about 2 hours

I said his grandmother raped his dad or something and got warned

Yet he's telling people to **** their dad etc for 2 hours and not received one warning... lol

Catzsy
16-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Well I do have some sympathy with your there Scott, if that's the case. They are just taking advantage of another language to be rude.

Nixt
16-07-2010, 04:55 PM
When I was there you guys were just arguing with the member, rather than attempting to bring this to the attention of the staff. When you did start trying to bring it to our attention, the majority of it was "THE STAFF ARE ****, THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING" and other similar insults.

If you want something to be dealt with, politely inform the staff (if they have not noticed) and allow them a brief bit of time to translate. It will then get dealt with.

Andii
16-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeh thats pissing me off

they've been rude for about 2 hours

I said his grandmother raped his dad or something and got warned

Yet he's telling people to **** their dad etc for 2 hours and not received one hour... lol

ino its not fair at all i got warned for spamming the word HotelUser because i wanted his attention since he was ignoring me and then they other 2 ***** were telling me to go **** my mother and all that crap. . and yet they never even got a warning or anything said to them

scottish
16-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I tried to get hoteluser and markypee to sort it, like 4 times they just said ? and didn't even bother, upon which i'm obviously going to insult them as they're pissing me off failing to do they're job COMPLETELY.

Andii
16-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I tried to get hoteluser and markypee to sort it, like 4 times they just said ? and didn't even bother, upon which i'm obviously going to insult them as they're pissing me off failing to do they're job COMPLETELY.

ino i saw that and yet the french noobs wer swearing at you and you were getting warnings and they never got anything said to them

HotelUser
17-07-2010, 02:39 AM
If this is the case then I do apologize, Scott. However I might also point out that at no point did you make a civil attempt towards getting mine, or Mark's attention about this.

scottish
17-07-2010, 10:31 AM
If this is the case then I do apologize, Scott. However I might also point out that at no point did you make a civil attempt towards getting mine, or Mark's attention about this.

Yes i did, i said 2 times to both you and mark to warn them and translated what they were saying, both times you apparently ignored, upon which i started telling you to do you're job as you were failing, again i was ignored which resulted in me insulting them back.

Sharon
17-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes i did, i said 2 times to both you and mark to warn them and translated what they were saying, both times you apparently ignored, upon which i started telling you to do you're job as you were failing, again i was ignored which resulted in me insulting them back.

This I saw.

All staff should bookmark Google Translate.

Alex3213
17-07-2010, 11:00 AM
If the rule is lifted (which I think it should be) there should be at least one staff translating what they are saying, using translator for a vague idea, or if they speak another language (like Shar speaks German and I think Nikki speaks French?) they can try and help out.

Grig
17-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I should be hired simply because I can cover Russian, Spanish and Chinese. ;)

scottish
17-07-2010, 11:09 AM
no-one really cares about russian or chinese

most people insulting are doing it in czech spanish french norwegian portuguese etc

Andii
17-07-2010, 11:51 AM
no-one really cares about russian or chinese

most people insulting are doing it in czech spanish french norwegian portuguese etc

exactly. . and scott did say about how you and mark should warn the people speaking. even i did but you clearly just ignored them and started talking to me about calming down.

GommeInc
17-07-2010, 11:55 AM

lmao..

Hardly, as it's breaking other rules so he gets punished. I'm amazed this sort of information goes beyond some people :S Better to punish the trouble makers than to punish everyone else as well.

scottish
17-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Hardly, as it's breaking other rules so he gets punished. I'm amazed this sort of information goes beyond some people :S Better to punish the trouble makers than to punish everyone else as well.

Obviously............ the point is none of the staff could give a **** and aren't translating it so are getting off with being rude in foreign languages......................................... .................................................. .. and evidently does NOT get punished.

GommeInc
17-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Tell them, if they fail to do anything then your reasons are just as far as I see it. Outright banning foreign languages is pointless, as the rule can be broken into multiple rules that already exist:

- Spamming/Flooding
- Rude/Bad Behaviour

It sounds like it broke the first one, and it definitely broke the second.

scottish
17-07-2010, 12:04 PM
My last like 4 posts are based on staff not listening to translations or people being rude etc..

Allowing foreign languages is just giving people a new method to be rude, as most translators fail as i've proved to hoteluser as he was translating something and it came out to jibberish when the person was in fact being very rude, so clearly they cannot rely on translators, so theres an easy way to be rude without being caught... lol

Dean
17-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Keri, if you got kicked for speaking in a foreign language, then why can staff speak in foreign languages???

http://uploads.shizzlenizzle.biz/images/1279372753_Screen%20shot%202010-07-17%20at%2013.23.38.png

scottish
17-07-2010, 12:33 PM
It's now allowed lmao

It's stupid though, there is absolutely no need to speak in any foreign language in the room

Grig
17-07-2010, 12:55 PM
You won't be affected because you don't understand so there is no need to make a big fuss out of it.

scottish
17-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok come to hxhd and let me say your a ****** your dads dead etc in french to you so you don't understand?

HotelUser
17-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Keri, if you got kicked for speaking in a foreign language, then why can staff speak in foreign languages???

http://uploads.shizzlenizzle.biz/images/1279372753_Screen%20shot%202010-07-17%20at%2013.23.38.png

Read the whole thread, please. This rule was changed long ago.

You could have MSN'd me, whispered me; yet you did not. Every time you attempted to inform us of their presence you were hostile :P

It's now allowed lmao

It's stupid though, there is absolutely no need to speak in any foreign language in the room

Despite what might come from this, I agree with you.

scottish
17-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Read the whole thread, please. This rule was changed long ago.

You could have MSN'd me, whispered me; yet you did not. Every time you attempted to inform us of their presence you were hostile :P

Despite what might come from this, I agree with you.

You should be active in room reading what is said so i have no reason to contact you on MSN etc.

If other people were in the same situation they wouldn't be able to contact you through MSN so if you're in the room you should be actively reading the chat

GommeInc
17-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Indeeed, there's no importance in speaking in a foreign language, but there's no reason to ban it as there are already rules in place that cover such scenarios - rudeness and pointless/spamming/flooding. And what that HxHD staff member said was a compliment if anything :P

scottish
17-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Indeeed, there's no importance in speaking in a foreign language, but there's no reason to ban it as there are already rules in place that cover such scenarios - rudeness and pointless/spamming/flooding. And what that HxHD staff member said was a compliment if anything :P

There is a reason to ban it, as the rules in place aren't enforced as no staff take the time or effort to translate it to find out its being rude etc.

scottish
17-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Tara just told me to **** my mother and called me a son of a *****, yet when i reply i get warned?

*REMOVED*

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to other forum members.

Richie
17-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I think its stupid, other languages should be banned unless the person genuinely can't speak English. which would be very rare as it doesn't give habbos the options to sign up to the .com hotel in a foreign language.

scottish
17-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Ok now i'm unbanned and hoteluser has banned foreign languages.

Richie
17-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Ok now i'm unbanned and hoteluser has banned foreign languages.

Amen to that

scottish
17-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Waits until Nixt or MattG come on and remove the rule

It's pretty stupid if they do.. lol

Richie
17-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Waits until Nixt or MattG come on and remove the rule

It's pretty stupid if they do.. lol

if they remove it or keep it?

scottish
17-07-2010, 06:52 PM
If they remove it

HotelUser
17-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I've done this because it was causing more problems than what it's worth, and because it's unfair on staff to have to translate 10 lines of another language, when the room is already full of other people and more often than not people are abusing the capability of being allowed to speak in another language.

If general management disagree with the decision I'm sure they'd have a good reason to do so, Scott. It's not as if we're fighting against eachother here. We did discuss lifting the rule in the first place :)

scottish
17-07-2010, 08:20 PM
There is no logical reason i can see in lifting this rule.

GommeInc
17-07-2010, 09:42 PM
There is a reason to ban it, as the rules in place aren't enforced as no staff take the time or effort to translate it to find out its being rude etc.
Then enforce the rules that are there, making a new rule won't do much, other than cause disputes when a user who is being innocent is wrongly accused of being foreign :P

scottish
17-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Then enforce the rules that are there, making a new rule won't do much, other than cause disputes when a user who is being innocent is wrongly accused of being foreign :P

You can't expect staff to translate hundreds of lines of text just to see if people are being rude

When you could just ban foreign languages so not giving people the opportunity to be rude in it and people wishing to converse in a foreign language can use Whisper so the innocent people can still avoid being told off, where as the people intentionally breaking the rule will receive punishment.

GommeInc
17-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Not entirely sure how you know exactly what they're saying, and if they were/are being rude, you just tell whoever's in the desk. It's not as hard as it sounds :/

scottish
17-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok you spend your day in HxHD translating everything people say in a foreign language and highlight staff on the matter

Or do the most logical thing and ban it when its never necessary to use a foreign language in HxHD anyways...

GommeInc
17-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Why translate when you probably do not need to know? It's conversation, people who are english or from england or an english speaking country would sooner understand english than another language. It's like listening to people speaking english to each other, you probably are not that interested in what they have to say unless you're that nosey. I'm just saying with the current rules in place, you could just extend into them to include foreign languages where if it's spammed, which I assume it is and was if you were being shouted at in a foreign language, and if someone objects and says it's rude, then it breaks the rudeness rules. It's quite simple, work with what you've got, not bring another equation in with the same numbers plus some new ones just jumbled up differently.

scottish
17-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Why translate when you probably do not need to know? It's conversation, people who are english or from england or an english speaking country would sooner understand english than another language. It's like listening to people speaking english to each other, you probably are not that interested in what they have to say unless you're that nosey. I'm just saying with the current rules in place, you could just extend into them to include foreign languages where if it's spammed, which I assume it is and was if you were being shouted at in a foreign language, and if someone objects and says it's rude, then it breaks the rudeness rules. It's quite simple, work with what you've got, not bring another equation in with the same numbers plus some new ones just jumbled up differently.

No-one has a proper conversation in a foreign language...... thats the whole point of this rule being pointless

Everyone who speaks in a foreign language in the help desk has spoke english fully and is only using that language as a means of being rude to avoid a ban/warn....

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!