PDA

View Full Version : Considering changing internet service provider

Richie
14-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Hey,
I got a phone call off upc (ntl) today, the representative explained how they would up our internet speed x15 from just 31€ a month. I download music & movies often so my main concern is would they pass my details onto the police if caught downloading illegal. I wanted to ask on the phone if I was to download illegally do they take legal action, but as he was speaking I was thinking to myself what a silly question thats like asking the police can you kill someone.

My ISP at the moment is eircom and they quite frankly don't give two flying ***** about people downloading illegally, in their t&c they even state they will never pass your details on to the police etc, you basically get 3 strikes with them and on the last one they just cutt you off. I'm on 0 strikes.

So my question basically is, should I contact upc and ask them what happens if someone is caught downloading illegally or should I just stick with eircom?

Jam
14-07-2010, 08:00 PM
NTL are apart of Virgin Media (unless Telewest didn't purchase the Ireland subsidiary, or its an acronym for another company) and Virgin are well known for complaining and cutting people off for illegal downloading.

xxMATTGxx
14-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Well since your current ISP has these rules set out sort of speak. I would assume the other ISP's in Ireland would follow a similar agreement. Your current one states:

So is the Graduated Response already in place for eircom's broadband customers?

eircom and IRMA are commencing a pilot for the implementation of the graduated response.

The purpose of the pilot is to give eircom a clearer understanding of the types of issues that can arise in relation to implementing the three-step graduated response process.

eircom is committed to supporting the music industry, but also to helping customers understand the issues surrounding the illegal downloading of music. eircom will therefore, as part of the pilot for the three step graduated response, implement a comprehensive information programme which will include:

Informing customers of the issues.
Providing assistance to customers on how to prevent illegal music downloading & sharing.
Helping customers identify legitimate music services.

eircom has set up a dedicated team to work on this pilot.

As part of this pilot, IRMA will supply eircom with the IP addresses they detect illegally uploading or downloading copyright works on a peer to peer (P2P) basis. On receipt of these IP addresses from IRMA, eircom will identify the related customers and implement the graduated response process.

They also state:

How will the graduated response work?

IRMA will provide eircom with notifications containing the IP addresses of the people they detect illegally uploading or downloading music content. Once eircom identifies the eircom account holder through their IP address eircom will:

Contact the customer in writing to inform them that their IP address has been detected by IRMA, as infringing copyright. eircom will clearly advise the customer that such acts are illegal and will provide information on how the customer can avoid repeating the infringement.
If the customer continues to engage in the illegal uploading or downloading of music content, eircom will issue a second warning letter to the customer indicating that unless the infringement ceases the customer will have their service withdrawn.
Write to the customer for a third time to advise them that their service will be withdrawn for a seven day period as they continue to engage in the illegal uploading or downloading of music content. If the customer infringes a fourth time then the broadband service will be disconnected for a 12 month period.

As well as contacting customers via letter, eircom will also attempt to contact customers via telephone and a browser based pop up to advise them of the infringement and to assist them in ensuring their computers are not a source of copyright infringement.

eircom has set up a dedicated team to support customers through this process. Customers can contact our dedicated team via telephone on 1890 253 059.

The record companies have said that they will be pursuing similar agreements with other broadband providers in Ireland. This really is a matter for IRMA to comment on.

Meaning that other ISP will be on similar agreements. You could contact them but they will most likely have a similar agreement, do they not have a website?

Richie
14-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Well since your current ISP has these rules set out sort of speak. I would assume the other ISP's in Ireland would follow a similar agreement. Your current one states:

They also state:

Meaning that other ISP will be on similar agreements. You could contact them but they will most likely have a similar agreement, do they not have a website?

Yeah they have a website but I couldn't find there t&c's about it http://www.upc.ie/

Swastika
14-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I use virgin media (NTL), and i download illegally all the time and i haven't been contacted once yet.

LMS16
15-07-2010, 06:18 AM
If you dont wanna risk getting caught, you peerblock :)

Lew.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!