PDA

View Full Version : No release for Peter Sutcliffe

Nixt
16-07-2010, 03:52 PM
The justice system prevails: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10657290

I for one, am glad. It's nice to see that the judge echoes the opinions of a great many people in saying that a man who killed and attempted to kill that many people should never walk the streets of this country again.

Catzsy
16-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Looks like he tried to get a 30year minimim as he has served 29. Luckily it didn't work. :)

Hitman
16-07-2010, 05:06 PM
For once, the system has not be flawed or useless. I guess it matters on the judge's personal opinion. The fact is many people are not fit to walk the streets - ever - and it's a pity some are released early.

Inseriousity.
16-07-2010, 05:40 PM
having read a recent news article that says the judge didnt lock up a criminal because its not 'the way we do things anymore', it's good to see some common sense prevail. :D

-:Undertaker:-
16-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Good news, although he should of been hung by the neck until dead a long time ago in my eyes.

Mathew
16-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Just kill him off instead of wasting taxpayers money in prisons tbh.. :rolleyes:

Misawa
16-07-2010, 07:44 PM
If you're going to lock someone away for so long, execute them. It's a waste of a cell. They're never going to redeem themselves when a judge has given them such a huge sentence in the first place. They badly need to bring back executions here.

16-07-2010, 07:56 PM
If you're going to lock someone away for so long, execute them. It's a waste of a cell. They're never going to redeem themselves when a judge has given them such a huge sentence in the first place. They badly need to bring back executions here.

A lot of people argue against that with the 'morals argument' saying that killing somebody is not right (which is fair enough if that is your moral stance). However it does not make sense when you have people saying that in death penalty threads, yet on the other hand they support euthanasia and abortion. Either you [as in they] support all three (like myself) or do not support any.

Hecktix
16-07-2010, 08:19 PM
A lot of people argue against that with the 'morals argument' saying that killing somebody is not right (which is fair enough if that is your moral stance). However it does not make sense when you have people saying that in death penalty threads, yet on the other hand they support euthanasia and abortion. Either you [as in they] support all three (like myself) or do not support any.

Not really, death shouldn't be used as a punishment - it's not being used as a punishment in euthanasia it's being used to ensure a better end for the person that's dying, saying that - should a convict wish to be executed for their crimes then they should be, however if death is going to occur unnaturally, then the only right way for it to happen is if the person dying wants to die.

Misawa
16-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I also support all three. Some people think they have morals, when they have the opposite. They believe in morality so much that they actually become contrarian.

16-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Not really, death shouldn't be used as a punishment - it's not being used as a punishment in euthanasia it's being used to ensure a better end for the person that's dying, saying that - should a convict wish to be executed for their crimes then they should be, however if death is going to occur unnaturally, then the only right way for it to happen is if the person dying wants to die.

So the death penalty isnt 'immoral' as many in death penalty threads claim, which is my argument. The idea that the use of death in punishment is 'wrong' can only be backed up if you disagree with euthanasia and abortion as you believe death is wrong when induced onto somebody. The child being aborted never choose or did anything to be killed for, the murderer on the other hand made his choice when he killed another human being. The person wanting euthanasia also made their choice.

It cannot be pick and choose for the argument when it comes to morals. If somebody argues against the death penalty on morals then fine I cannot challenge ones morals - so long as their morals make sense and are consistent. Often the morals argument is picked up upon by opponents of the death penalty as a way of forcing the discussion to a close when in reality, their views are very hypocritical indeed.

Inseriousity.
16-07-2010, 09:17 PM
should a convict wish to be executed for their crimes then they should be.

This is why I don't agree with the death penalty tbh. Ian Huntley has tried to kill himself how many times now? If he succeeds, his punishment is up. He shouldn't have the easy way out.

=Lizzy
16-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm glad he didn't get let free, on the news this morning there was a woman who survived and she was still in shock after all these years.

16-07-2010, 09:26 PM
This is why I don't agree with the death penalty tbh. Ian Huntley has tried to kill himself how many times now? If he succeeds, his punishment is up. He shouldn't have the easy way out.

Ian Huntley is sitting (alive) in a nice warm prison cell, with access to a variety of activies in prison (such as gyms etc most of which normal people cannot even afford at times). He also has an Xbox in his prison cell along with reported access to Facebook and the internet. Holly and Jessica are reduced to skeletons in the ground now, and i'm sure they'd swap anyday with the comfortable lifestyle Huntley has now compared to their tragic little lives that were cut short by that monster.

Do not pretend he is suffering because it is a total insult to them two innocent little girls.

Inseriousity.
16-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Ian Huntley is sitting (alive) in a nice warm prison cell, with access to a variety of activies in prison (such as gyms etc most of which normal people cannot even afford at times). He also has an Xbox in his prison cell along with reported access to Facebook and the internet. Holly and Jessica are reduced to skeletons in the ground now, and i'm sure they'd swap anyday with the comfortable lifestyle Huntley has now, compared to their tragic little lives that were cut short by that monster.

Do not pretend he is suffering because it is a total insult to them innocent little girls.

Killing him isn't going to bring them back. If it could, I'd prepare the rope myself.

16-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Killing him isn't going to bring them back. If it could, I'd prepare the rope myself.

A minute ago you were against the death penalty.

I agree killing him will not bring it back, but neither will sitting him in a cell courtesy of the taxpayer and giving him an Xbox.

Sharon
16-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm glad he didn't get let free - I saw it on the news, appauling

Inseriousity.
16-07-2010, 09:59 PM
A minute ago you were against the death penalty.

I agree killing him will not bring it back, but neither will sitting him in a cell courtesy of the taxpayer and giving him an Xbox.

I am against it because it doesn't bring them back. If it did, my opinion would change. Simple really.

Trinity
16-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Ian Huntley is sitting (alive) in a nice warm prison cell, with access to a variety of activies in prison (such as gyms etc most of which normal people cannot even afford at times). He also has an Xbox in his prison cell along with reported access to Facebook and the internet. Holly and Jessica are reduced to skeletons in the ground now, and i'm sure they'd swap anyday with the comfortable lifestyle Huntley has now compared to their tragic little lives that were cut short by that monster.

Do not pretend he is suffering because it is a total insult to them two innocent little girls.

I love this post.
I live in a pretty poor area with a high crime rate. I've talked to a lot of young offenders and a large amount of them say they'd rather be in prison because it's a better life in there. Prison is supposed to be a punishment, not a reward for committing a crime.
I've heard people claim that it's still a punishment because they're separated from friends and family, but tbh most of their friends and family are criminals too so they'll all get to live together in a nice big house.

Personally, I'd bring back the death penalty for serious criminals like Peter Sutcliffe and Ian Huntley. The money saved could be used to actually help the people that deserve it. This country can't afford to waste money on scum right now. They're going to die in prison anyway, what difference does it make if we speed the process up a bit?

16-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I am against it because it doesn't bring them back. If it did, my opinion would change. Simple really.

Then by that logic you would be against any form of punishment/form of custody as it would not bring them back from the dead.

Inseriousity.
16-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Then by that logic you would be against any form of punishment/form of custody as it would not bring them back from the dead.

No because there are other factors involved that means I support imprisonment but do not go to the extreme of the death penalty. The only factor that would persuade me to support said death penalty is if it brought them back, which is impossible unfortunately.

Hecktix
16-07-2010, 10:10 PM
So the death penalty isnt 'immoral' as many in death penalty threads claim, which is my argument. The idea that the use of death in punishment is 'wrong' can only be backed up if you disagree with euthanasia and abortion as you believe death is wrong when induced onto somebody. The child being aborted never choose or did anything to be killed for, the murderer on the other hand made his choice when he killed another human being. The person wanting euthanasia also made their choice.

It cannot be pick and choose for the argument when it comes to morals. If somebody argues against the death penalty on morals then fine I cannot challenge ones morals - so long as their morals make sense and are consistent. Often the morals argument is picked up upon by opponents of the death penalty as a way of forcing the discussion to a close when in reality, their views are very hypocritical indeed.

You may notice, that I didn't mention abortion - I mentioned euthanasia. Abortion is something I have neutral opinion on, I am both for and against. However I am for euthanasia (as if someone wants to die and has valid reasons to die, I believe they should be able to) however against the death penalty because I feel that nobody should be killed if they don't want to be killed - that's how it should be.

Yes, I agree it's the easy way out but to be fair he is better off dead - if I worked at Broadmoor and I caught him trying to top himself I'd walk on by, if he wants to die - let him, it'd save us a lot of money however we cannot be killing convicts if they don't want to die. I'd say the fact that the moment they kill and get convicted their life as they know it is over is enough punishment and whether they live through this punishment or die they still get the punishment of their life as they know it being over and I'd imagine the sense of freedom is the biggest factor affecting those in prison, they don't get the sense of freedom when dead either though :P - but I must highlight I'm not for the death penalty, I just think euthanasia could be used in prisons for those wishing to end their lives rather than spend the rest of their life in prison, purely because it saves us money.

Let's be honest here, if he wasn't suffering he wouldn't have tried on multiple occasions to kill himself, the man has no freedom - like all other prisoners, he has to abide by the prisons routine, by no means is he not suffering.

Trinity
16-07-2010, 10:35 PM
You may notice, that I didn't mention abortion - I mentioned euthanasia. Abortion is something I have neutral opinion on, I am both for and against. However I am for euthanasia (as if someone wants to die and has valid reasons to die, I believe they should be able to) however against the death penalty because I feel that nobody should be killed if they don't want to be killed - that's how it should be.

The innocent murder victims didn't want to be killed, but they were. Why should criminals get to choose?
If they don't want to die, they shouldn't kill people.

Hecktix
17-07-2010, 01:22 AM
The innocent murder victims didn't want to be killed, but they were. Why should criminals get to choose?
If they don't want to die, they shouldn't kill people.

Well that's about lowering to their levels, no the innocent murder victims don't want to be killed and this is precisely why murder is a crime and is immoral - capital punishment is the exact same crime.

Trinity
17-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Well that's about lowering to their levels, no the innocent murder victims don't want to be killed and this is precisely why murder is a crime and is immoral - capital punishment is the exact same crime.

It's not the same at all. They murdered innocent people, we'd be getting rid of scum, saving the country a bit of money, making room in prisons and *hopefully* discouraging other people from committing serious crimes.

Hecktix
17-07-2010, 02:11 AM
It's not the same at all. They murdered innocent people, we'd be getting rid of scum, saving the country a bit of money, making room in prisons and *hopefully* discouraging other people from committing serious crimes.

If the death penalty had worked like that in the first place then it wouldn't have been abolished for being unfair and totally immoral. Unless the person wants to die nobody has the right to take a life, no matter what someone has done.

In God's eye no matter what a man has done his sins can always be repented. Whilst I am not religious this concept of an everlasting open arm of forgiveness is a good opposition for the death penalty - if s person is murdered immediately upon conviction they have no time to consider what they've done and in a lot of prison suicide cases it's often recorded that the prisoner makes comments about regretting their actions or accepting they did wrong or are a bad person, although it takes time for criminals to realise this - they need to understand what they have done.

As for using the death penalty as a scare tactic it wouldn't work, scare tactics never work it's psychologically proven.
Besides those who murder are not sane individuals, they are clinically insane - they won't care for the consequence.

Trinity
17-07-2010, 02:43 AM
If the death penalty had worked like that in the first place then it wouldn't have been abolished for being unfair and totally immoral. Unless the person wants to die nobody has the right to take a life, no matter what someone has done.

I think there were other reasons for it being abolished, like the risk of killing someone and then finding new evidence to prove them innocent or something.
I also think that it was abolished partly because the legal system is becoming too soft.
The way I see it, the murderer does want to die. They understand that they could be put to death for their actions, and go ahead with it anyway.

In God's eye no matter what a man has done his sins can always be repented. Whilst I am not religious this concept of an everlasting open arm of forgiveness is a good opposition for the death penalty - if s person is murdered immediately upon conviction they have no time to consider what they've done and in a lot of prison suicide cases it's often recorded that the prisoner makes comments about regretting their actions or accepting they did wrong or are a bad person, although it takes time for criminals to realise this - they need to understand what they have done.

I shall ignore the god comment, I have very strong views on religion and don't want to take this thread off topic.
I'm not suggesting murdering them immediately on conviction.
It doesn't matter if the criminal accepts what they did was wrong or not, the simple fact is they've proven they have the capability to kill, and could quite easily do it again. That bit doesn't have much to do with my death penalty argument, I'm only suggesting the death penalty for when it's 100% certain that the person would/wants to commit more serious crimes.

As for using the death penalty as a scare tactic it wouldn't work, scare tactics never work it's psychologically proven.
Besides those who murder are not sane individuals, they are clinically insane - they won't care for the consequence.

I admit that scare tactics aren't very effective, that's why I said hopefully, not definitely, but they do work sometimes. If it discourages just 1 person, then that's enough to make it all worthwhile in my opinion.
Your last comment is just wrong. Not all murderers are clinically insane.
I'm also not just suggesting the death penalty for murderers. Any serious crime where the offender is 100% certain to continue having a serious negative effect on other people and has no chance of changing.

Samantha.
17-07-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm glad he hasn't been released because he would only go out and kill again and that's just wrong and there is no need for it. If anyone should be killed, it should be him. 30 years wasn't enough time in prison anyway!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!