PDA

View Full Version : The one word answer threads

Mr-Trainor
22-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Didn't know what to call the thread :P
Anyway, threads like these:
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=613830 (What was the last thing you watched?)
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=556687 (What are you currently eating?)
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=564847 (What are you currently drinking)

I know some people think that they should be moved to where post count does not rise but I disagree with that. Instead, there could be a rule for all of them where you can only post once every x hours, or once every x replies. Something that will make sure people can't continuously post in them to get a large increase in their overall post count. Just an idea, feel free to develop my idea in to another idea :P

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I think that if you feel some members are posting just for post count and it is shown by continual posting when it would not be possible to eat, drink and watch programmes by the time they post again they should be sent a pm to warn them that it is not acceptable and if they continue they would face a restriction on their account. I don't really think any other action is necessary as they are pretty popular threads.

hah
22-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Are you trying to kill off the forum even more? There is hardly any posts as there is and restricting people from posting there is just taking the piss and is a step to far.

-Danube-
22-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Like Rosie said, if people are starting to abuse the threads, and it's really obvious then they should be warned about it. I think that if these threads were moved to a forum such as Spam where the post count doesnt increase then these threads would be ruined, they just be spammed with a load of nonsense. Like 'What did you last eat?' you'll have loads of people posting something like 'An Elephant'. Also i think that the post count increase in kinda the 'Reward' for posting in such threads, and is one of the only reason why they are used. If you stopped post counts going up then i think these kinds of threads wouldn't survive anymore.

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Are you trying to kill off the forum even more? There is hardly any posts as there is and restricting people from posting there is just taking the piss and is a step to far.

Tbf. That is not what he is saying. What he is saying is that some members say that are watching say 'Big Brother' and then come back within a couple of minutes to say they are watching something else. Same in the food and drinks thread which is purely for post count. I don't think though that restricting it is the best idea when the appropriate moderation action can be taken. You don't have to be aggressive about it though. :P

hah
22-07-2010, 10:31 AM
No he is sayin "Instead, there could be a rule for all of them where you can only post once every x hours, or once every x replies" maybe you should read it babe.

Are people not allowed change the channel? They could post they are watching something and then switch over to something else....
and it doesnt exactly take that long to eat either :rolleyes:

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 10:35 AM
No he is sayin "Instead, there could be a rule for all of them where you can only post once every x hours, or once every x replies" maybe you should read it babe.

Are people not allowed change the channel? They could post they are watching something and then switch over to something else....
and it doesnt exactly take that long to eat either :rolleyes:

Love the sarky emoticon:P It is obvious when the member is 'taking the piss' as you put it and you can only eat, drink and watch so many tv programmes a day. But I agree with you that it should not be restricted just monitored.

Hecktix
22-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, I quite agree that this needs to be monitored and if it's clear people are posting in it for post count then quite simply they should be PM'd and told to stop by a Moderator :)

Callum.
22-07-2010, 12:44 PM
this is like habbox history, for as long as I can remember there's been the eating+drinking ones.

obviously if someone posts continously then they should be warned, but things like the last thing you watched are really good. I go into that thread and have a browse and watch a few films people have been watching.

people don't eat continously so they should be warned if they post like that. people can't watch films in the space of 5 mins so be warned for that etc.

GommeInc
22-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Depends on context really. I agree some should just be chucked in spam, but some are quite interesting and statistics usually are just one word, or short sentence answers. Most should just go, but some are okay where they ask you why you only have x amount of something in your something, etc etc.

The "What are you eating/drinking right now?" threads exist on every online community or forum, they're not quite spam as they serve a purpose in the forum they're in. Like the food and drink thread is in the Food/Drink related forum (can't remember if it was merged or not) and in a way gives the forum some use and may provoke some conversation in a form of a new thread.

Blinger$
22-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry to single the guy out, but people like misawa (does he post still?) constantly triple posted in the what did you last watch thread... in about 3 hours! That needs to be sorted out, you can double post everyone 24 hours imo

beth
22-07-2010, 07:31 PM

agree with this. as long as no-one's double posting, i don't see the problem.

Mr-Trainor
22-07-2010, 08:03 PM
agree with this. as long as no-one's double posting, i don't see the problem.
With the amount of posts on HabboxForum, we could probably post in them every 5-15 minutes without double posting and that's over 50 times a day so I don't think that's the right way to put it :P I know what you mean by just monitoring rather than restricting though :)

beth
22-07-2010, 08:18 PM
With the amount of posts on HabboxForum, we could probably post in them every 5-15 minutes without double posting and that's over 50 times a day so I don't think that's the right way to put it :P I know what you mean by just monitoring rather than restricting though :)

well like, "the what song yr listening to" thread's been running like 5 years, and i don't think it's particularly offensive to anyone.
what i mean by saying "as long as no-one is double posting" i mean like as long as it's relevant.

Mr-Trainor
22-07-2010, 08:21 PM
what i mean by saying "as long as no-one is double posting" i mean like as long as it's relevant.
Once again, I know what you mean but then you never know if people are lying or not :P
As for the 'what song are you..' you could actually post every 3-5 minutes since most songs last 3-5 minutes.

Callum.
22-07-2010, 08:21 PM

but hxf is a pretty fun place to post. putting restrictions in place makes it much more narrow with the sense of freedom. what you're saying is so pointless, trying to fix something that is not broken, just because you don't like the few people who post quite a bit. it's only post count.

Mr-Trainor
22-07-2010, 08:25 PM
but hxf is a pretty fun place to post. putting restrictions in place makes it much more narrow with the sense of freedom. what you're saying is so pointless, trying to fix something that is not broken, just because you don't like the few people who post quite a bit. it's only post count.
Never at any point did I say I do not like people posting.. I post quite a bit on the forums so I have no reason to hate people who post quite a bit. I'm only making a suggestion and as said in my previous post, I agree that monitoring is probably better than restricting for now.

Matthew
22-07-2010, 08:27 PM
In the 'what are you listening to #2' thread, i went back and counted how many posts people have been doing.

since like 6pm today to now, someone has posted 11 times in that thread alone, and thats in 3 and a half pages of posts.
this surely shouldnt be allowed?

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 08:31 PM
In the 'what are you listening to #2' thread, i went back and counted how many posts people have been doing.

since like 6pm today to now, someone has posted 11 times in that thread alone, and thats in 3 and a half pages of posts.

Have you reported the post/posts?

Matthew
22-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Have you reported the post/posts?
no because it doesnt particularly bother me, i mean posting is good, but really (s)hes just cheating to get his/her post count up.

EDIT:
with the way it is, you could just sit down at that thread all day posting a new song - whether you've listen to it or not - every time someone else posts
its not really fair is it :P

Callum.
22-07-2010, 09:42 PM

from 6 pm to now is 3 and a half hours. thats what, 40 songs atleast, so 11 posts isn't that much.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!