PDA

View Full Version : Nick Griffin denied entry to Buckingham Palace

Mathew
22-07-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-10723764
Nick Griffin has been barred from Buckingham Palace and had his invitation void due to using his entry for a political purpose.

Apparently he's asked people what he should say to the Queen if they happen to "meet over the cucumber sandwiches"... :rolleyes:
Opinions?

Hecktix
22-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Good, only he would use such an event as a publicity stunt, afterall the party is private it doesn't need to be politicised, hell could you imagine what he'd say in the walls?

xxMATTGxx
22-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I hate the man so I'm glad he is going to be denied from the Queen's party.

Jordy
22-07-2010, 01:43 PM
While I initially thought it's fair enough if he was politicising it, using it for media attention etc however that depends whether he was warned against it beforehand. If they said don't do it and he then proceeded to have interviews and ask for questions to ask the queen then I agree he should be denied entry. However if they didn't explicity say not to do this, it seems they've just made up a rule to snub him and the people who have voted for him, which isn't really fair. After all he is a legit politician voted in by 1 million voters.

Tintinnabulate
22-07-2010, 02:10 PM
LOL. What a moron.

He added: "This event shows just how far this party has come in the last few years but I won't be at the Palace for myself or my family. No! I will be there to represent the patriots who made this possible; I'll be there for you."

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I think this is the answer which seems quite reasonable:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-griffins-furious-as-palace-invite-is-withdrawn-2032487.html

The statement added: "Mr Griffin's personal invitation was issued to him as an elected member of the European Parliament.

"The decision to deny him entry is not intended to show any disrespect to the democratic process by which the invitation was issued.

"However, we would apply the same rules to anyone who would try to blatantly politicise their attendance in this way."

You also have to wonder if he did this on purpose as he and his party gain lots of publicity which he probably needs after their very poor showing in the elections.

Tintinnabulate
22-07-2010, 02:18 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-griffins-furious-as-palace-invite-is-withdrawn-2032487.html

You also have to wonder if he did this on purpose as he and his party gain lots of publicity which he probably needs after their very poor showing in the elections.

He is a very very selfish man so he would probably have wanted to attend instead. Just a very stupid selfish man.

HotelUser
22-07-2010, 02:22 PM
The decision to deny him entry is not intended to show any disrespect to the democratic process by which the invitation was issued.

I really hope it was intended to show disrespect for his party.

Oh--and Nick Griffin is an idiot.

Nixt
22-07-2010, 02:22 PM
To be fair, while I believe Nick Griffin is a vile, racist crook I do not believe he should have been banned on the basis of his political beliefs. His position in the European Parliament gives him the same right as others to be there and I believe the truth behind this decision is going to be questioned. The Royals are supposed to be publicly politically neutral and this could result in that neutrality being called into question by the reprehensible Griffin and his band of sycophantic lackeys.

However providing this decision has been made on the basis of his politicising of the event, I believe it's a fair and just decision with the added benefit of the fact it's meant someone like Griffin can't attend. You've got to admit he's turned an invite that he received by default into some big "victory" when that isn't really the case at all. It's a private gathering and there is no reason to turn that into political propaganda. Fair enough if he is happy about it, but making it out to be a big victory for his party is not an appropriate way to react to the invitation.

Tintinnabulate
22-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Does he know that around 8,000 people are also attending :S.

GommeInc
22-07-2010, 03:17 PM
How would he make it a publicity stunt? :S You barely hear of it, and when you do it's a publicity stunt for all involved. He's done it before, and is usually ignored or kicked out, no-one's going to care either way but seeing as people voted for a BNP MEP then he should probably go :/

JustRG3
22-07-2010, 03:19 PM
From everything I see with nick Griffin, no one likes him at all. Why does he still has his job?

GommeInc
22-07-2010, 03:23 PM
From everything I see with nick Griffin, no one likes him at all. Why does he still has his job?

Because someone voted him in and the BNP see him as the best in their party, it's how democracy and politics work. He's hated, but some people must like what he and his party believe in if they voted the BNP to represent the UK as an MEP from somewhere in the UK :P

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 03:24 PM
How would he make it a publicity stunt? :S You barely hear of it, and when you do it's a publicity stunt for all involved. He's done it before, and is usually ignored or kicked out, no-one's going to care either way but seeing as people voted for a BNP MEP then he should probably go :/

By making sure he is banned from it by going against usual protocol.

beth
22-07-2010, 03:28 PM
i'm torn over this, i do believe in the power of free speech and as such, i don't believe people should be "barred" from anything because of what they believe.

but i do believe his being there was wholly inappropriate anyway.

edit: to the people who say why has nick griffin got his job, in the last election 500,000 people voted BNP. that, to me, is a scary number. there is not that small of a minority of people in the uk who believe in what he stands for. it's disgusting.

GommeInc
22-07-2010, 03:40 PM
edit: to the people who say why has nick griffin got his job, in the last election 500,000 people voted BNP. that, to me, is a scary number. there is not that small of a minority of people in the uk who believe in what he stands for. it's disgusting.
Some people vote for the party that is strongly against something, or have something as a main concern or priority, than parties that tackle problems as a secondary or minor problem. I assume they voted the BNP because of immigration and foreigners, which is arguably a decided problem with many parties in the UK, but some people think of it as a major problem, and vote for who reflect it the most so they went for the BNP.

It's just how some people are :P

By making sure he is banned from it by going against usual protocol.
About the comment on the website and what he wants to ask the Queen? If he attempts to during the time then ban him, but doing it prematurely isn't that helpful. It's unlikely he'll get the chance :/

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Some people vote for the party that is strongly against something, or have something as a main concern or priority, than parties that tackle problems as a secondary or minor problem. I assume they voted the BNP because of immigration and foreigners, which is arguably a decided problem with many parties in the UK, but some people think of it as a major problem, and vote for who reflect it the most so they went for the BNP.

It's just how some people are :P

About the comment on the website and what he wants to ask the Queen? If he attempts to during the time then ban him, but doing it prematurely isn't that helpful. It's unlikely he'll get the chance :/

Well they said it was against protocol because at the very least because of security. Who am I to say otherwise?

MrPinkPanther
22-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Should Mr. Griffin have been invited to the party? For sure. He is elected and although I despise his views they are the views that around a million other people hold in this country, it is his democratic right to receive that invitation. I do however completely respect the Queens removal of the invite, he was not intending to use it to relax but rather to score political points as the BNP website indicates. Additionally he claims it was the fault of the political elite that he was uninvited but the Queen has no affiliation to any party and is independent of the so called "political elite". It has nothing to do with them.

GommeInc
22-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Well they said it was against protocol because at the very least because of security. Who am I to say otherwise?
Suppose, he does have a way of angering people and in saying that he has pretty much made himself a target. It's democracy with him being an MEP against security/protocol. Saying he's going to talk the Queen seems a bit unlikely, as they tend to be about meeting in Buckingham Palace, than a good tea and a buffet with the Queen :/

beth
22-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Should Mr. Griffin have been invited to the party? For sure. He is elected and although I despise his views they are the views that around a million other people hold in this country, it is his democratic right to receive that invitation. I do however completely respect the Queens removal of the invite, he was not intending to use it to relax but rather to score political points as the BNP website indicates. Additionally he claims it was the fault of the political elite that he was uninvited but the Queen has no affiliation to any party and is independent of the so called "political elite". It has nothing to do with them.

though i agree he had the right to be invited, i think his invite was wholly inappropriate and the palace should've seen this happening prior to the invite.

-:Undertaker:-
22-07-2010, 08:56 PM

According to Griffin there are no rules for the garden parties which say he cannot announce it/use it as a political stunt. If that is the case then the Palace is very wrong in being remotely biased, and that is what will eventually make them loose their crowns as far as I see it (along with the stories which are emerging as of recent about some of the royals charging the taxpayer in expenses for trips). I do not want to see that, but for the state to be biased is totally and utterly wrong.

The BNP result was rather good in the General Election for the number of candidates they stood, they increased their share of the vote by quite a large margin.

though i agree he had the right to be invited, i think his invite was wholly inappropriate and the palace should've seen this happening prior to the invite.

Because you disagree with his views?

That is the kind of democracy we have in Zimbabwe and nations such as that. The difference between here (including corruption amongst our leading elite) and there is that we are just better at hiding the fact we [our leaders] cannot stand other views which differ to their own and are just as corrupt as the ones in the Third World.

Catzsy
22-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Suppose, he does have a way of angering people and in saying that he has pretty much made himself a target. It's democracy with him being an MEP against security/protocol. Saying he's going to talk the Queen seems a bit unlikely, as they tend to be about meeting in Buckingham Palace, than a good tea and a buffet with the Queen :/

I don't make up the protocol rules :P It probably would have been better just to let him go as long as he didn't have a publicity stunt outsidel

Jordy
22-07-2010, 08:59 PM
That is the kind of democracy we have in Zimbabwe and nations such as that. The difference between here (including corruption amongst our leading elite) and there is that we are just better at hiding the fact we [our leaders] cannot stand other views which differ to their own and are just as corrupt as the ones in the Third World.No lol, this is an MEP not being invited to a garden party, this isn't rigging elections or silencing the opposition. You perhaps make a point about bias but then you blew it completely out of proportion.

22-07-2010, 09:09 PM
No lol, this is an MEP not being invited to a garden party, this isn't rigging elections or silencing the opposition. You perhaps make a point about bias but then you blew it completely out of proportion.

..and ask yourself why he isnt being invited to this garden party, and as for unelected and corrupt in terms of comparsion to Third World nations - I am of course referring to the EU & MPs expenses along with Mandelson, Barroso and the rest of them.

MrPinkPanther
22-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I am of course referring to the EU & MPs expenses along with Mandelson, Barroso and the rest of them.
...because Nigel Farage didn't claim £2 Million of Taxpayers money on top of his £64,000 yearly salary did he? He isn't a poor man so if UKIP are so principled and anti-European waste then why did he claim the frankly ridiculous figure?

22-07-2010, 09:17 PM
...because Nigel Farage didn't claim £2 Million of Taxpayers money on top of his £64,000 yearly salary did he? He isn't a poor man so if UKIP are so principled and anti-European waste then why did he claim the frankly ridiculous figure?

That is not expenses, I told you this before - had it been expenses and had he pocketed it then yes he would be as crooked as the rest of them. The allowances system works differing in the European Parliament as you should know - MEPs are paid for signing on (meaning you can go to Brussels, sign on and then go home without lifting a finger) and the allowances system pays for constiuency staff.

Mr Farage does not pocket the money, it pays for consituency staff - the same applies to all members of the European parliament. The difference between Farage and the Westminister system is that the Westminister system was abuse, it was not for paying staff - it was for personal benefit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lmuLI81SU

The European parliament also had a scam/scandel a few years ago involving mostly German MEPs and was only covered by the German media and it caused quite a uproar back in Germany. News reporters had been filming MEPs arriving and signing on, missing votes and then going home - so yes the system is flawed, yes it is a waste of money (including all money to every single MEP regardless of party) and it'd be much nicer if the entire thing was closed down tommorow.

Farage was involved with banking/metal trading earlier on anyway, he's making less now than he made when he first left school.

MrPinkPanther
22-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Mr Farage does not pocket the money, it pays for consituency staff - the same applies to all members of the European parliament. The difference between Farage and the Westminister system is that the Westminister system was abuse, it was not for paying staff - it was for personal benefit.

So you are saying using Taxpayers money to promote the UKIP message isn't for personal benefit?

22-07-2010, 09:21 PM
So you are saying using Taxpayers money to promote the UKIP message isn't for personal benefit?

It is for personal benefit yes but of the party and not of Mr Farage, but thats within the rules and is how the system over in Brussels works. Then again that is the excuse the MPs in Westminister used - I don't like the Brussels system either and neither do UKIP hence why we'd rather the whole thing shut down. UKIP made the choice many years ago that if they were to fight this European Union they would take part and tackle it from the inside - Farage needs money to pay for staffing costs in the regional office. If Farage was flouting the expenses system similar to what occured in the Westminister system then I would be first to drop him (and yes there is a big question mark over the expenses of Lord Pearson who is a member of the Westminister system). UKIP MEPs take a portion of their salary and spend it on the party rather than themselves, it provides extra funding for the party and is their choice with what to do with their own wages. Personally I would like to see every single MP and MEP investigated by the fraud officers and if they were found to be flouting the expenses system like Alistair Darling, Nick Clegg and others then I would have been supportive of them all losing their jobs and the entire lot charged for it.

Allowances and expenses are entirely differing.

dbgtz
22-07-2010, 09:28 PM
This is kinda off topic but tbh I think people misjudge the bnp, its not actually racist really to some extent its "britain for the british". Ok I dont support it but I can see where he is coming from. Im pretty sure its not like "only whites can stay" its just if you were born here or not i guess therefore he should not have been barred, anyone could have done what they were assuming he could do.

MrPinkPanther
22-07-2010, 09:32 PM
It is for personal benefit yes but of the party and not of Mr Farage, but thats within the rules and is how the system over in Brussels works. Then again that is the excuse the MPs in Westminister used - I don't like the Brussels system either and neither do UKIP hence why we'd rather the whole thing shut down. UKIP made the choice many years ago that if they were to fight this European Union they would take part and tackle it from the inside - Farage needs money to pay for staffing costs in the regional office. If Farage was flouting the expenses system similar to what occured in the Westminister system then I would be first to drop him (and yes there is a big question mark over the expenses of Lord Pearson). UKIP MEPs also take a portion of their salary and spend it on the party rather than themselves, it provides extra funding for the party and is their choice with what to do with their own wages. Personally I would like to see every single MP and MEP investigated by the fraud officers and if they were found to be flouting the expenses system like Alistair Darling, Nick Clegg and others then I would have been supportive of them all losing their jobs and the entire lot charged for it.
It benefits UKIP and through UKIP it benefits Farage. I don't doubt there are far worse claims by other MEPs but you can't complain about Westminster MP's expenses when one of the few elected representatives UKIP has, and one of the highest ranking ones at that, is clearly not squeaky clean himself.

Allowances and expenses are entirely differing.
Expenses is the broader term which includes such claims as these.

This is kinda off topic but tbh I think people misjudge the bnp, its not actually racist really to some extent its "britain for the british". Ok I dont support it but I can see where he is coming from. Im pretty sure its not like "only whites can stay" its just if you were born here or not i guess therefore he should not have been barred, anyone could have done what they were assuming he could do.
The problem is there is a difference between what you say in public and what you say in private. Look on youtube and you will see some extremely racist videos of dear Mr Griffin. I hate to draw this parallel because I am no way indicating that the BNP are as bad as the Nazis but look back to the later 1920's and early 1930's. The Nazi's spread discriminatory propaganda but no more than this, look what happens when they get into office. The incitement of racial hatred, Kristallnacht and eventually of course the Holocaust. Every BNP member is not racist, it would be wrong to say that. Their leader? He is.

22-07-2010, 09:36 PM
It benefits UKIP and through UKIP it benefits Farage. I don't doubt there are far worse claims by other MEPs but you can't complain about Westminster MP's expenses when one of the few elected representatives UKIP has, and one of the highest ranking ones at that, is clearly not squeaky clean himself.

Expenses is the broader term which includes such claims as these.

Yes it is a stupid system you are right, the more you turn up the more you gain in expenses - as I was talking about earlier on with the sign in fiasco at the European parliament. I can and will complain because Farage has been squeaky clean, hence why before UKIPs amazing success at the European Elections 2009 the pro-Tory press didn't jump on the story because of the very reason there was no story.

If he had been involved in milking the expenses system in Brussels then he would have been ripped to shreads day-in and day-out by the media, and quite rightly so.

GommeInc
22-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't make up the protocol rules :P It probably would have been better just to let him go as long as he didn't have a publicity stunt outsidel
It's what I was thinking too :P He should go, provided he doesn't do a little stunt there. CHances is he wouldn't be able to, and he doesn't need to anyway seeing as he is a voted in MEP.

According to Griffin there are no rules for the garden parties which say he cannot announce it/use it as a political stunt.
In a way, I can understand the Palace's concern, using it for publicity is a bit wrong and inappropriate for what appears to be an event for MEPs to mingle with her Majesty. That's not to say I agree entirely, he should still be able to go but not make a scene about it, as he has been in trouble before for what he stands for - it's sort of what democracy is about, hating on the parties/people that make little sense :P

Eckuii
22-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Lets remember that Griffins Cronnie still went so what is the big issue that the BNP has. Griffin was banned because he spoke out after he was invited by the Queen of this country.

Griffin should have being invited, at the end of the day, a million people voted for him regardless of what people think. A lot of people voted BNP at a time when MP's were rinsing the system and didn't care about immigration for 13 years. The politicans brought this upon themselves.

I totally disagree with everything that the BNP stand for.

Apolva
23-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Personally I find this hilarious.

Even though he shouldn't have been invited to begin with.

Superior
23-07-2010, 07:39 PM
He is a very very selfish man so he would probably have wanted to attend instead. Just a very stupid selfish man.
How do you know he is so selfish, have you watched a documentary on him or something? I can understand why you don't really like him, after all if he came into power his main priority would be lets face it.. to get people like you out so if I was in your position I wouldn't like him either. To tell you the truth, even I don't like him. It just so happens to be that he has good policies behind him.

Personally I find this hilarious.

Even though he shouldn't have been invited to begin with.
Why shouldn't he of been invited? He had every right to go as he was voted in as an MEP by a million people.

Fez
23-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Lets remember that Griffins Cronnie still went so what is the big issue that the BNP has. Griffin was banned because he spoke out after he was invited by the Queen of this country.

Griffin should have being invited, at the end of the day, a million people voted for him regardless of what people think. A lot of people voted BNP at a time when MP's were rinsing the system and didn't care about immigration for 13 years. The politicans brought this upon themselves.

I totally disagree with everything that the BNP stand for.

I agree with everything you've said there.

ifuseekamy
24-07-2010, 04:51 AM
How do you know he is so selfish, have you watched a documentary on him or something? I can understand why you don't really like him, after all if he came into power his main priority would be lets face it.. to get people like you out so if I was in your position I wouldn't like him either. To tell you the truth, even I don't like him. It just so happens to be that he has good policies behind him.

Why shouldn't he of been invited? He had every right to go as he was voted in as an MEP by a million people.
Because it's their party, they have every right to uninvite whoever they want.

Superior
24-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Because it's their party, they have every right to uninvite whoever they want.

Yes which is fair enough but they need to have good reasons for banning people and this reason just isn't good enough as it was not made clear to him that he has to keep quiet about it.

Jordy
24-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes which is fair enough but they need to have good reasons for banning people and this reason just isn't good enough as it was not made clear to him that he has to keep quiet about it.We don't know that to be honest, of course Nick Griffin would deny there being rules about it.

Superior
24-07-2010, 02:03 PM
We don't know that to be honest, of course Nick Griffin would deny there being rules about it.

Yeh we don't know for sure but I don't think that he would be stupid enough to lie on national TV.

Catzsy
24-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeh we don't know for sure but I don't think that he would be stupid enough to lie on national TV.

I suggest you check the 'Question Time Transmission'. :P He is pretty stupid tbh. At least Farage has a brain and clear policies that you either like or you don't. There is no nasty 'isms' just lurking beneath the surface like Griffin. He shouldn't have made a fuss. The other BNP MEP went to the party..............

Jordy
24-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah my dad's always saying if the BNP had a credible leader they'd be a dangerous party in UK Politics. I think Nick Griffin's on his last legs tbh, he's modernised the party a lot but he's messed up here and there was large losses in the May council elections I believe.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!