PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or do schools...

dbgtz
22-07-2010, 06:04 PM
recognise and award bad people but not well behaved people? For example in my school:

a group of people who perform badly (behaviour-wise) got a trip to the new forest recently but anyone who was doing well couldn't go.
today, a guy with really bad uniform recieved a mr potato head for having bad uniform but no one got an award for having good uniform
i dont really care about this one but good people don't get like points of some sort (we call them merit points but i dunno what u do)
its like i might aswell avoid all the rules in order to get recognition.

Nemo
22-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah, bad people who do good get rewarded, people who do good anyway dont.

Bailey
22-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Same everywhere, nothing you can do, life's a *****.

Sharon
22-07-2010, 06:56 PM
We get that. I do everything on the page and don't get anything. The naughty guy near me does one question - OH MY GOD THATS GREAT WORK KEEP IT UP - HAVE 5 POINTS

JustRG3
22-07-2010, 07:23 PM
England is full of this my friend. It's like... It's better not to work and seak money from the government these days.

beth
22-07-2010, 07:29 PM
disagree with this, bad behaviour usually has alot of issues behind it, and the school are probably pastorally sorting that out.

Samantha.
22-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah they do. My school talk all the naughty kids on this canoeing trip and the good kids got nothing..
This is unfair, they know they can behave bad and still get rewards

Mr-Trainor
22-07-2010, 07:53 PM
It's not just you, my school does it as well and it's really annoying. Like, we have an accommodation system and through the whole year I only get 1 or 2 whereas some of the badly behaved people have over 10!

Special
22-07-2010, 07:56 PM
before i left it seemsed all the bad kids & all the clever/good kids got treated & the people in the 'middle' got left out

Alex3213
22-07-2010, 08:00 PM
before i left it seemsed all the bad kids & all the clever/good kids got treated & the people in the 'middle' got left out

Yeah this is what I believe also, and I don't think it is right. I got treated because of my behaviour (good obvvvvv) but I also know people who would constantly disrupt the lesson would also get praised and rewarded for, the people who were in the middle? Sorry, who?! Forgotten about.

FlyingJesus
22-07-2010, 08:09 PM
It's been this way since at least the early 90s. Seeing people ridiculously inferior to you getting praise and rewards just for managing not to eat their books when you get nothing at all for being the highest achiever in near every field is apparently demoralising enough to make some of those at the top just give up and let their potential go to waste. Good work, welfare state.

beth
22-07-2010, 08:15 PM
all of you guys obviously have had a sublime time at school, and i'm sorry the teachers didn't give you things for doing as your supposed to.

but all i'm gonna say is, and i'm saying this from experience, the stuff teachers do with those kids pastorally can save lives.

Gibs960
22-07-2010, 08:43 PM
It's the opposite at my school... if you do 1 bad thing wrong, you can't do anything right ever again at that school... it gets annoying both ways...

Shar
23-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Not necessarily true, the teacher's usually +rep me when I do things right and I'm like far from a rebel student (A)

Jamesy
23-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah, bad people who do good get rewarded, people who do good anyway dont.

Sad but true. The other year my school introduced a system where for every grade you got over a target grade on a piece of assigned work, you got X points and at the end of the year those with the most points were entered into a draw to win £750. So if you're target grade was an A you were considerably short changed :P.

Moh
23-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah, my school was like that, a bit kinder though. I'v always been middle set, the bottom set get rewarded for doing easy stuff and the top sets get rewarded well.. just for being top set.

So during all my time in secondary school, I'v never had the chance to go to theme parks, skiing, Paris. The only trips I got to go on were history and geography, but you've got to do work in them =[

Really unfair.

Alkaz
23-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Kids with bad attendance and behaved poorly at my old school we're rewarded with free trips to Thorpe Park, iPods, iTunes vouchers yet people like me who didn't have a single detention in five years were just forgotten and left behind. Admittedly all of those who were rewarded for their sins got crap grades at the end of year 11 but perhaps if they made good examples out of the good kids then the bad ones would be more inclined to do better to get these rewards.

JACKTARD
23-07-2010, 05:16 PM
We have loads, the good people get free trips out to decent places and the **** people get nothing.

We also have a thing where if you were working at above your target grades you got a free breakfast but for some people that wasnt great because all targets were A*

Volumise
23-07-2010, 07:04 PM
oh my skls opposite
where bad people can't go to trips etc
good people get rewarded certificates and crap

Fez
23-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Should be grateful for the gifts that your personality has bestowed on you. By all means, you have a right to feel cheated out of a reward, but isn't the biggest reward of all being able to look down on all the 'bad behaved' people with those pocketfuls of qualifications and a well paying job?

FlyingJesus
24-07-2010, 10:31 AM
but all i'm gonna say is, and i'm saying this from experience, the stuff teachers do with those kids pastorally can save lives.

That is true but not all of them need that sort of help. There were only like 3 people at my high school who had pastoral attention for the right reasons (and one of those was middle/top set just messed up) but all the spacks got told how great they were for being able to put their own shirts on.

Should be grateful for the gifts that your personality has bestowed on you. By all means, you have a right to feel cheated out of a reward, but isn't the biggest reward of all being able to look down on all the 'bad behaved' people with those pocketfuls of qualifications and a well paying job?

No. This was always the line we got given by parents and teachers when we said anything about it but what kind of "reward in itself" as they put it is being the best when no-one acknowledges it or helps you build on it? Also with that aside I'm fairly sure most of the academically challenged kids are richer personally than I am because they got into manual trades which are high-paying from the start.

Fez
24-07-2010, 08:41 PM
No. This was always the line we got given by parents and teachers when we said anything about it but what kind of "reward in itself" as they put it is being the best when no-one acknowledges it or helps you build on it? Also with that aside I'm fairly sure most of the academically challenged kids are richer personally than I am because they got into manual trades which are high-paying from the start.

I guess you're right.

dbgtz
24-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah but its like (at this age for some) "work hard and you get qualifications to work more" or "do absolutely nothing and you can go to thorpe park 5 times and then you can just live off of benefits so you never lift a finger again"

Homosexual
24-07-2010, 10:34 PM
recognise and award bad people but not well behaved people? For example in my school:

a group of people who perform badly (behaviour-wise) got a trip to the new forest recently but anyone who was doing well couldn't go.
today, a guy with really bad uniform recieved a mr potato head for having bad uniform but no one got an award for having good uniform
i dont really care about this one but good people don't get like points of some sort (we call them merit points but i dunno what u do)

My school does the first and the third.. :/

There was this guy who started a fight and was excluded for two days.. at the end of the year he got to go to Alton Towers with everyone else in the Exclusion Room (that's what we call it..).

The third, we call them "achievement codes" and "behaviour codes". Good people used to get achievement codes, but now only behaviour codes are given out instead of both.

Good students get no recognition anymore.. :\

Nuxty
24-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Sounds like my school as well! What they're probably trying to do is bribe the bad kids with treats etc trying to build a sort of relationship with them so they wont be bad again etc.

crazed
24-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Yes, it's always been like this. Naughty/ misbehavingchildren get rewards when they behave for a while, this hopefully encourages them to act good all the time.

Pyroka
24-07-2010, 11:20 PM
its cuz the idiots and those who are destined for the dole need that extra push to see that theyre doin good

usually this means kids that do excellent get neglected

which really does highlight why people want to go to really good skls, cuz they know that if theres no bad eggs then all the smart kids get the praise and well they get better dont they

some kids function well without praise and want to do better so they can get praise, but yeah some just give up and then theyre on the dole too hey go figure lol the world wouldn't be going around if we didnt have our idiot wasters!

highly jealous of mr potato head though

louder
24-07-2010, 11:44 PM

not being noticed is reward enough. trust me.
i was awful in school.
i was suspended & skiving more than i was there.

if nobody's saying anything to you, then everything's fly.

Hollie
25-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Alot of my teachers do but not all of them, my maths teacher does really bad.. Theres this boy who is constantly disrupting the lesson and she said to him 'If you dont speak for 10 minutes you can have an event log' (an event log is a really good thing at my school) just because she can't control him.. The people who don't talk a lot don't get anything. Me and my friend stayed behind after the lesson to talk to her about it and she was all defensive about it. Really annoyed me tbh

::Art::
25-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Haha this year the good people went to London and the others went to cork :P

Oleh
26-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Its true, At my school those consitently bad were rewarded for being slightly good e.g. Go-karting, Paintballing even rockclimbing.

And what do us who are consitently good get? a slap on the wrist if we are bad and a STICKER when good.. woop woop

HotelUser
26-07-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm quite confused about what awarding a mr potato head means :P

I don't have a problem with teachers praising kids who don't do so well so long as it's boosting that child's confidence. In many cases you're right, it's just frustrating.

Richie
26-07-2010, 06:46 AM
The good people are getting a reward, they aren't getting taken out on trips because teachers want them to do epicly good and succeed in life. Yeah, the bad ones may get to go on trips but they are losing out on quality school work. The whole uniform thing I've never seen happen before but maybe it was a joke or something?

Gibs960
26-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I've never been treated equal to anyone in my whole school life, I've never had any treats I wouldn't consider myself the worst behaved but I get moaned at for expressing an opinion that's different from a teachers.

JACKTARD
26-07-2010, 02:28 PM
but tbh if I got an award for something good and I had to get up in assembly I would want to die right there right then.

Molly.22
26-07-2010, 02:47 PM
My school give people awards for improving their behaviour. Yet people who are never bad get nothing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!