PDA

View Full Version : I don't know whether to get the new Xbox

Gibs960
24-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Well my brother's getting it because it's supposed to be a lot easier to get xbox live on and my brother can't get xbox live so he's getting it. But I can't decide whether to because everyone says it's supposed to be better, but I can't tell anything different apart from hard drive and built in adapter. Please help me decide...

Robbie
24-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Better to get xbox live on? wtf are you on about?

dbgtz
24-07-2010, 10:05 PM
got an xbox already? no
not got an xbox? no
itll still eat your disc like no tomorrow and the rrod could still be really bad for all we know.

Alexx..
24-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't. The xbox dies after a few hours to give it time to cool off. It's annoying.

Johno
24-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't. The xbox dies after a few hours to give it time to cool off. It's annoying.

Mine has never done that yet.

If you already have one, I would say there is any point in upgrading tbh. If your old one is on the way out or is already dead, then just go for it. It's lots quieter, useful if you are planning on getting Kinect and great since it finally has built in WiFi :)

Fez
24-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Price cut imminent.

Pyroka
24-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Better to get xbox live on? wtf are you on about?

probs talking about the fact its got internal wifi

Nalfar
25-07-2010, 02:10 PM
If you already have an XBOX, then no, it's not a worthwhile purchase.

I bought one because my XBOX was from the original release in 2005 and thus had no HDMI port and I've recently purchased a new TV.

Robbie
25-07-2010, 02:18 PM
probs talking about the fact its got internal wifi

Yeah but he mentioned that later in the post so I assumed he was on about something else :P

Gibs960
25-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I mean cos its a new xbox, my brother can't get the updates from the website so my brother might be gettin it because its up-to-date :)

Robbie
25-07-2010, 05:43 PM
You do know you can put the updates on a CD/USB drive and update that way?

louder
26-07-2010, 12:07 AM
i'd get the new one.
for the same price as the elite it's a sweet deal.
you don't have to spend like £50 on an adapter.
you get a 250gb hd.
there already winners for me.

sure, there's factors like it's new, so rrod is gunna happen a lot,
and so will general faults. but they always do something like extend warranties & you end up saving money in the long run.

the other features aren't brilliant, but it is supposedly quieter, it's smaller etc.
and, hopefully they'll last longer than the premium or elite.

dbgtz
26-07-2010, 09:39 AM
i'd get the new one.
for the same price as the elite it's a sweet deal.
you don't have to spend like £50 on an adapter.
you get a 250gb hd.
there already winners for me.

sure, there's factors like it's new, so rrod is gunna happen a lot,
and so will general faults. but they always do something like extend warranties & you end up saving money in the long run.

the other features aren't brilliant, but it is supposedly quieter, it's smaller etc.
and, hopefully they'll last longer than the premium or elite.

Well if you spent another £50 for a ps3 you'd save even more money in the long run.

I'd like to add if you get a new one and want kinect, you might aswell wait. Well tbh you might aswell wait anyway, you spend an extra £50 and you could sell for £100. Plus the games could raise that a little. Only problem is it might be the 4gb 360 in that deal. But you could probs spend the money from kinect to get a new harddrive and still make a profit so in the end you only win.

samsaBEAR
26-07-2010, 10:43 AM
got an xbox already? no
not got an xbox? no
itll still eat your disc like no tomorrow and the rrod could still be really bad for all we know.
Don't be stupid, the only reason it ate the disc in that video is because the guy shook the xbox around, while the disc was running. If you do that then you deserve to have your disc chewed up.

dbgtz
26-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes but put it in to context, alot of people will not read that warning. And what do alot of people do when their machine is slow? Hit it. It's not even the fact that it's there that bothers me much now, it's the fact ms could have easily fixed it.

Swastika
26-07-2010, 05:16 PM
If you've already got an xbox then what's the point?
250GB big wow, i've got a 120GB and i've got like 90GB left, your never going to use up 250GB, plus you can buy the clip on hard drives that are 250GB anyway.
Built in wi-fi doesn't effect me because i use ethernet cables, only good thing i can see is it's supposed to be quieter.
I'm just going to buy kinect when it come's out instead, and lol at MS's 4GB xbox.
I'd rather have my older elite so i can carry on modding etc.

Nalfar
26-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes but put it in to context, alot of people will not read that warning. And what do alot of people do when their machine is slow? Hit it. It's not even the fact that it's there that bothers me much now, it's the fact ms could have easily fixed it.
If you do that to any machine that reads disc the outcome will be similar. You shouldn't be owning something like that if that's how you're going to treat it.

dbgtz
26-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Sorry I didn't realised thats a law? It's what people do! I do it to my pc and it doesn't destroy my disc and it stops this annoying vibrating sound it makes against my desk. I imagine vibrations from say rockband still move it enough to kill the disc.
I can ******* whack my ps2 and it still wont scratch my disc. If the ps2 can protect against it then surely ms could with the 360. They're either lazy or ******ed.

samsaBEAR
27-07-2010, 12:38 PM
What the **** I never hit my xbox. If your xbox is running slow, perhaps you need to get it fixed instead of resorting to bashing it about. Yeah, perhaps it could be easily fixed, but in all honesty, what idiot (bar the guy in the video) lifts up the xbox when a disc is running? Hell I get paranoid if I move it when the xbox is switched off.

dbgtz
27-07-2010, 03:29 PM
yes but people do it, never said you did, never said i did (to an xbox).
but as proved by bbc watchdog it can happen during rockband/guitar hero or the drop of a large book (say the yellow pages) which means it probably still will.

Nathaaaan
27-07-2010, 05:48 PM
The new X-Box supposedly doesn't get RRoD, instead when it overheats you get that annoying message "Needs to temp shut down cuz it's t00 warm" and a little red dot flashes in the middle whilst it's cooling down, and disappears when it may be switched on again.

Apparently.

Just heard from a reliable source.

Gibs960
27-07-2010, 05:56 PM
You do know you can put the updates on a CD/USB drive and update that way?
yeah not working either :(

My mates MW2 got ruined by my mates Xbox and it was on the TV stand the whole time...

dbgtz
27-07-2010, 06:09 PM
its vibrations gibs

also it does nathan i think aswell but I cant remember who told me this but when you turn something off it always heats up first before it cools down again so yeah. overheating exists in all tech tbh.

Apple
27-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I'd have to say no, it is not worth the switch. When Apple made the iPhone 4, they wanted to make it so people with the 3GS would actually want to switch phones and upgrade to it. However with this it is just simply updating the Xbox of the little things it should already have, also to put up better competition. Wifi and more memory is simply raising the standard we know Xbox as and I think it's fair to say that it's about time. :)

Rock
28-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Don't get the new one if you already have a 360. Anyone know if they are bringing any updates like NXE or something?

Nathaaaan
28-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Don't get the new one if you already have a 360. Anyone know if they are bringing any updates like NXE or something?

There's going to be another dashboard update five days before Black Ops released but there won't be any cosmetic differences.

Nemo
05-08-2010, 01:24 PM
If u got the money, go for the new one, i dont see why not personally (unless you look at its ugly design)

Hiro
05-08-2010, 02:11 PM
I recently bought the new Xbox 360 Slim, mainly due to my old elite overheating and when I did play, my connection ALWAYS dropped. As soon as I turned the slim on, the WiFi synced straight away, the pad did, and I quickly transferred all my data from my old HDD. Surprisingly, the slim hasn't given me any problems online, I am always at full green bar on MW2/Halo, etc whilst with the elite I was dropping every 20-30seconds. So for the £200 I paid, it was worth it, definitely runs a lot quieter. Yeah, it can get hot, but I've had mine turned off for 10 mins and it has already cooled down. Just like every other electronic with a fan, make sure it has room to breathe.

EDIT: I should mention that the Wireless-N is awesome too, especially if you have an N router.

dbgtz
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I really wish PS3 had N wireless thingymabob because my connection is really starting to suck, but that could just be BT or the radius of it. I think though overall the N is a waste of extra money it's just one of those things to make you go "oh this is better now I'm going to get this" when really it won't be needed at all for along time for most people. I guess future proofing helps though.

Sly
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Ooh it has the wireless adapter built in?
I want onee, I've had a 360 since they were first released yet never had live 'cos I refuse to pay £50 for the wireless adapter!

Fez
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I really wish PS3 had N wireless thingymabob because my connection is really starting to suck, but that could just be BT or the radius of it. I think though overall the N is a waste of extra money it's just one of those things to make you go "oh this is better now I'm going to get this" when really it won't be needed at all for along time for most people. I guess future proofing helps though.

Our wireless is still one step ahead of Wireless N.

Just BT. I can't even connect to BT at my stepdad's house.

Hiro
12-08-2010, 12:40 AM
You can get the Wireless-N adapters for like £38 now. Which is still expensive. I got my old one for free by lying to the customer support.

Describe
18-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Does this 'new' XBOX360 still rrod?

Johno
19-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Does this 'new' XBOX360 still rrod?

not quite, it red dots of death apparently

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!