PDA

View Full Version : Will my screen be weakened?

Superior
26-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Earlier this morning I was climbing up a ladder and at about 1 story high when I lifted my leg up I could just feel my phone (iphone 4) starting to slide out of my pocket but it was too late to do anything, I heard it smack down on the floor (cement/concrete type floor). After looking at it I can't really see any damage at all or workout which bit hit the floor first. It seems to be working fine but with a fall like that and a phone made out of glass lol I must of been really lucky. So are the chances are that the glass is now weakened? It is insured but obviously I'd prefer to not have to go down that road. And also how the hell do you think it landed for it to get no damage at all? Pretty weird. Imagine if phone makers started to make some parts of the phone heavier so when it gets dropped it will always fall in the same position and land on a strong point of the phone? If that worked every time you dropped your phone the chances of it breaking would be reduced dramatically. :o

Muct
26-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Freaky stuff lol.
There could be some damage INSIDE the phone or with what it can do, like, it might have affected stuff like phoning or texting people. I would take it into somewhere that are good with phones to check it out properly lol.

Superior
26-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I've been using it for the last hour, like I'm listening to music on it now and everything just seems fine but you never know I might come across something that has been internally damaged.

Recursion
26-07-2010, 11:39 AM
If it's working now, it's fine.

You were damn lucky kid :P

Trinity
26-07-2010, 12:41 PM
If it's working now, it's fine.

You were damn lucky kid :P

This.
If anything was going to go wrong, it would have happened by now.
You've been insanely lucky, other people have dropped their iphone 4s from 2 feet high and the screen has smashed.

hamheyelliot
26-07-2010, 12:45 PM
If you've got one, maybe the horrible rubber case took the impact :P

danzooo
26-07-2010, 03:27 PM
You are one lucky bugger, my friend! To be honest, I think it will be fine. Are you sure there's no big gouges out the side, chips, scratches, cracks, nothing???

Superior
26-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I honestly cannot stress how immaculate the phone still is, ever since I have got it I have never put it in the same pocket as my keys or anything sharp. There is not 1 scratch anywhere on the phone. Someone posted a vid on youtube of them using the metal band to open bottles which did no damage to the phone at all and he opened about 6 bottles of beer. I think that it landed on side with the impact being spread out over the corner of the glass as well as the corner of the metal strip. It is working fine just like it has always been so I guess I just got insanely lucky. I saw a vid on youtube where he dropped it just 2 or 3 times from about shoulder height and the 3rd time the screen was shattered completely.

Apolva
26-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I think you might be right about it landing on its side.

My friend dropped his 3GS from a few feet face-down onto some grit on a concrete floor and smashed the screen. :(

Recursion
26-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I dropped my G1 when I was getting out of a car last year... sod's law it had to be whilst it was out of it's pouch. The case infront of the screen survived, with my screen protector taking the brunt of the damage from the stones, but the LCD underneath was cracked.

Fixed it for £20 my self by buying an LCD off eBay... T-Mobile wanted like £150 to fix it!!

GommeInc
26-07-2010, 05:19 PM
It won't be weakened :P Glass would just smash, if it doesn't it's as strong as ever unless it's got any cracks. You''re very lucky though, they seem to be quite easy to shatter :P

JACKTARD
26-07-2010, 07:52 PM
If you've got one, maybe the horrible rubber case took the impact :P

not looking so horrible now, is it? haha

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!