PDA

View Full Version : Announcements

Richie
27-07-2010, 01:07 PM
An announcement is made then another thread is always created for example 'Thank you JamesOYES' is there really any need for the both threads? Would it not make more sense to allow people to reply to certain announcements, thanking them?

Jamesy
27-07-2010, 01:09 PM
An announcement is made then another thread is always created for example 'Thank you JamesOYES' is there really any need for the both threads? Would it not make more sense to allow people to reply to certain announcements, thanking them?

Then people could bump announcements and drown out other important ones.

Hecktix
27-07-2010, 01:10 PM
No, Habbox Announcements are official and important announcements and if people could reply in there they would be all out of order and the wrong threads getting bumped etc.

The congratulations forum is fine :)

Blob
27-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Or have another Forum instead of "Congratulations and Thank Yous!" underneath Development Announcement, where staff updates are posted and can be replied to?

Hecktix
27-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Or have another Forum instead of "Congratulations and Thank Yous!" underneath Development Announcement, where staff updates are posted and can be replied to?

No, that's a waste of space. The congratulations forum serves more than one purpose and is very good for the community

Richie
27-07-2010, 01:14 PM

that would make more sense add a new forum for 'Staff Changes' so when people bump threads its not hiding the 'important announcements' it just seems pointless how there's always two threads on the exact same topic constantly.

EDIT:

Oli if anything the congrats forum is wasting the space, I think you should remove the congrats forum and just add a new forum for staff changes or you could make it so staff changes don't go in announcements they automatically should be posted in the congrats forum afterall a member leaving isn't really classed as important.

Martin
27-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I think sometimes it's just nice to have a nice list of updates in chronological order. As the others have said, bumping would occur and the order would get all messed up. I like to see what changes have happened that day easily for instance, and it would just make it messy and confusing in my view.

I don't see the harm of people being congratulated in a seperate forum. It's more personal, and is a nice way of showing appreciation for people. I think the current system works just fine, and I really don't think it would make any difference having it in one thread. A staff update thread is just one post, once it's done you never have to see it on the new posts again.

Hecktix
27-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Martin has summed up the congratulations forum really, it's a community aspect where people can be congratulated and thanked for anything and nearly all of our users put it to use, I'm not gonna remove a forum that gets such good usage.

Richie
27-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Okay fair enough it just seems pretty pointless to me to have two of the exact same thread but ok.

Nixt
27-07-2010, 01:22 PM
The announcements forum is a comprehensive forum designed to bring members of the forum and the wider Habbox community information regarding changes to Habbox and it's staff. It serves that function perfectly and is an ideal record of staff changes and important staff updates across the time Habbox has been around. Allowing people to reply to the threads would, as Jamesy has said, mean that the announcements would be mixed up and confused and, I feel, would detract from the professional purpose an announcements forum is designed for.

Separating staff updates from the announcements forum would mostly render the announcements forum unnecessary. I don't think there is much complaint about staff changes being announced in that forum so I do not see the need to separate them. Furthermore, whilst you say "two threads on the exact same topic constantly", that is not the case. Once an announcement has been posted it very quickly disappears down the list of new posts very quickly. It will only be present as a record or reference when people check the announcements forum, which people do regularly.

The congratulations and thank you forum is in itself a valuable tool for the community and again, removing it would serve no real positive purpose. It allows members to post their own thread, independent of the announcement, which creates a more community feel and real thanks rather than the novelty of posting in an announcements thread. Moreover the forum is often used to say thank you for nice things people have done on or off the forum, and for birthdays etc. It's nice to have an exclusive forum for such a purpose and if we were to make members able to reply to announcements it would negate this forum and result in it's removal, which is undesirable.

Pyroka
27-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Can't we have an announcements comments add-on which doesnt bump threads?

I'm sure that'd be possible... and you'd get alot more thanks from users who just see the one thread.

Hecktix
27-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Can't we have an announcements comments add-on which doesnt bump threads?

I'm sure that'd be possible... and you'd get alot more thanks from users who just see the one thread.

What Garion said about users being able to make their own thread stands, it's nice for a user to be able to make a thread congratulating someone and it's nice for the user being congratulated.

Nixt
27-07-2010, 01:29 PM
What Garion said about users being able to make their own thread stands, it's nice for a user to be able to make a thread congratulating someone and it's nice for the user being congratulated.

Furthermore a lot of members who post with a thank you or congratulations actively seek out a thread to reply to (or create if there is one lacking) which ultimately gives the "thanks" received a certain sentimental value. I feel that the whole thank you process would be devalued if we allowed replies to announcements.

Tintinnabulate
27-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Hello ladies,

why not do it so all announcements are copied into a forum and users can simply reply to them.

e.g. A thread on job openings - so people can ask and see who will be applying.
e.g. A thread on a resignation - can be used to thank the member.
e.g. A new competition - people can discuss it.

Its used on various forums including vBulletin and is successful.

Hecktix
27-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello ladies,

why not do it so all announcements are copied into a forum and users can simply reply to them.

As Garion and I have said, it's a lot nicer if the threads made in Congratulations & Thankyous are made by the community - it gives them more of a sentimental value and means much more to the users.

What you have suggested is even more what the OP was against - two of the same thread.

xxMATTGxx
27-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Hello ladies,

What is wrong with how it is done now though? :S

Tintinnabulate
27-07-2010, 02:37 PM
What is wrong with how it is done now though? :S

Means more posts and people can discuss all announcements and can comment on them if they wish to.

xxMATTGxx
27-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Means more posts and people can discuss all announcements and can comment on them if they wish to.

Surely if they had something to say regarding someone being hired/resigned/fired and what not, they will say it anyway when someone creates that thread for them.

Tintinnabulate
28-07-2010, 01:24 AM
yeah but it would increase posting etc. its popular on a lot of forums which use it.

Blinger$
28-07-2010, 01:28 AM
It is always the same people making these threads though!

Hecktix
28-07-2010, 01:28 AM
yeah but it would increase posting etc. its popular on a lot of forums which use it.

I'd rather have the friendly, community feel than a few more posts.

scottish
28-07-2010, 01:50 AM
only purpose of congrats forum is free post count lets b honest

GRATS YOU WERE GREAT STAFF... what was ur job again??

Hecktix
28-07-2010, 02:15 AM
only purpose of congrats forum is free post count lets b honest

GRATS YOU WERE GREAT STAFF... what was ur job again??

Nope, as post count is disabled and always has been in there :P

HotelUser
28-07-2010, 03:46 AM

Having staff announcements being announced in the announcements forum, and then a congratulatory thread be made in return (previously in the feedback section prior to the creation of the forum tailored to the task) has been an element of Habbox since pretty well the very beginning. It's not harming anybody, postcount doesn't increase there, and if you don't like the forum--well--just don't browse it :P

Tintinnabulate
28-07-2010, 09:51 AM

Just means people can add comments on announcements. I can see a lot of people commenting on most announcements. Doesn't make the forum less friendly ...

Hecktix
28-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Just means people can add comments on announcements. I can see a lot of people commenting on most announcements. Doesn't make the forum less friendly ...

Yeah but like Garion said, the fact someones gone to the trouble to make a thread for you to say goodbye, or thankyou is quite nice.

Tintinnabulate
28-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah but like Garion said, the fact someones gone to the trouble to make a thread for you to say goodbye, or thankyou is quite nice.

And if someone doesn't make a thread then its not very nice for them :P
But if the threads were automatically copied in a dedicated reply forum, it would mean more people are likely to reply :P.

Nixt
28-07-2010, 10:38 AM
It devalues and depersonalises the system of thanking people. It's this system which works just fine or not at all. I would prefer our current system which doesn't really have any troubles at all.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!