PDA

View Full Version : Community

Richie
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey,
I'm going to try to be like gandhi in this thread, I guess. Well I have been thinking about this for a while and I don't think its changed much since I was staff. Habbox doesn't seem to have one whole community, we have a good community, yes. But its divided up into different groups. For example I don't see many managers getting along. Maybe they do but it seems to look like they are at war or in better context 'competition', each manager wants to make their department better than the others.

Habbox have other set 'groups' like the tech geeks, the rebellious spammers & the all important habboers. Lets be honest spam members don't get on well with the people in the habbo forum. Like wise with other sections. Within departments, groups form and ******** starts, its funny but true. I like how the forum team seem to be trying to interact with other departments such as the help desk. Department managers need to come up with a plan to basically clash with one another.

Don't get me wrong, the groups I'm talking about are groups because they don't share the same interests. However that said, it doesn't mean they can't get along & just generally have a laugh together. These groups need to make more of an effort to accept people and not flame them because they are discussing something that doesn't rock their boat.

It would be nice to see departments clash, I don't know how but I'm sure people could come up with some good ideas.

Rich.

Nemo
02-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I know what you mean, but apart from the managers thing, it really is hard to get all the different groups to get along. The 'spammers' (i guess im one of them, although not exactly rebellious now am i) don't generally get along with the Habboers because the spammers are quite a lot older (most of the time atleast), and much like in real life, i just can't talk to someone who is like 11 or 12 without either being patronising or feeling rather dumb myself. It's a sad truth, but not much else you can do.

One thing i'd like to see is the ridding of the staff forum, or atleast the ridding of the non-work related staff forums, they serve no purpose other than creating a gap.

Alex3213
02-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Departments do clash sometimes, but obviously it's harder with some departments (for instance the closest we can get as the Comps dept is just letting people publish their own comps- which fills up our calendar woo!) but I do guess you're right. Each department is at war, kk I do it to joke around but the bottom line is that we are all one and in it together, to make Habbox stronger each day. I see your point and it is very valid. +rep if I can.

edit: cant sorry

Richie
02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
One thing i'd like to see is the ridding of the staff forum, or atleast the ridding of the non-work related staff forums, they serve no purpose other than creating a gap.

I was going to say something along those lines, but I know the staff wouldn't be happy.

Hecktix
02-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Do you mean come together rather than work richie? Clash would mean we were fighting all the time :P Thanks for the comment about our involvement in Habbox Help Desk - as I kind of hinted earlier, our next stop is to get involved with HabboxLive and I was speaking to Jess only today about making this happen.

I generally find Habbox Managers friendly and willing to help, for instance HotelUser is very cooperative, Jess is - Jess has been a great help to me today. The Competitions Managers are also good to work with, generally Habbox Management get on and have a laugh - although it's clear we don't really interact with eachother in public on the forum, although I do assure you it generally does happen and although there are sometimes disagreements - we all do generally get on.

In terms of making other groups around the forum get along with eachother, mhmm I don't think there's much you can do about that but try to promote people to post everywhere and get involved in these other groups - which is something I actively try to encourage and have just launched the posting competition with the aim of this.

Alex3213
02-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I was going to say something along those lines, but I know the staff wouldn't be happy.

I don't understand what you're saying here, getting rid of the staff forums? It'd be harder for approval and communication.

Nemo
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't understand what you're saying here, getting rid of the staff forums? It'd be harder for approval and communication.
Just the non-work related ones, i heard there's a spam one there, like seriously? really? needed? no.

xxMATTGxx
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I think it would be hard to try and get any of the groups (members) to come together. Most of the time it's where they want to stay/post more often compared to the other forums. I can see where you come from as Spam isn't always welcome to everyone at times but you can't force people to get along or post elsewhere if they are mainly from the technology forums.

Communication between Managers has improved and has become a lot better compared to other times, I'm a bit confused on what you mean in regards of the staff forums?

Richie
02-08-2010, 09:49 PM

No get rid of unnecessary things such as spam forums in each department, I don't see why they are needed, can't everyone just post their comments in one spam thread? After all its not like staff speak about anything that the public aren't allowed to see.

Yeah oli thats what I meant lol my English is terrible innit lol

Main point: Keep the staff forums for work only, that way I think it would get people posting in public spam. I don't see why each department need a spam thread its not like they post anything the public aren't allowed to see. It just seems the spam threads are to make the staff feel privileged or something. It wouldn't be very fair to hide the public spam from staff now would it.

Hecktix
02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I agree that the "Habbox Staff: Talk about anything" forum should be removed.

Alex3213
02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
No get rid of unnecessary things such as spam forums in each department, I don't see why they are needed, can't everyone just post their comments in one spam thread? After all its not like staff speak about anything that the public aren't allowed to see.

Yeah oli thats what I meant lol my English is terrible innit lol

Main point: Keep the staff forums for work only, that way I think it would get people posting in public spam. I don't see why each department need a spam thread its not like they post anything the public aren't allowed to see. It just seems the spam threads are to make the staff feel privileged or something. It wouldn't be very fair to hide the public spam from staff now would it.

Oh so you're saying that "Spam Threads" in each forum should be removed. I dunno, I'm in two minds about this one. I agree to the extent but I don't think it'd be very practical for the staff, as they are urged to post around anyway which is teh main concern, and I know the staff in the Comps dept (and I'm sure most depts too) don't feel privileged for having a Spam Thread. I think it's just something "extra" for the staff.

Nemo
02-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh so you're saying that "Spam Threads" in each forum should be removed. I dunno, I'm in two minds about this one. I agree to the extent but I don't think it'd be very practical for the staff, as they are urged to post around anyway which is teh main concern, and I know the staff in the Comps dept (and I'm sure most depts too) don't feel privileged for having a Spam Thread. I think it's just something "extra" for the staff.
Extra or not, its what is causing a gap between the staff and normal members am afraid to say

im sure spam will seem less stand offish if staff are poisting in there

Ajthedragon
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I agree, I am good friends with some members but not others, most likely due to having no interaction with them during my time at habbox. Maybe encouraging departments to work together in some aspects would encourage a batter overall community. :)

FlyingJesus
02-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I disagree 100%, if I don't want to be nice to someone because they're boring or ugly I shouldn't have to be, and the only way to enforce such a thing is by tightening up on rules which people complain about enough already. People are not equal and shouldn't be forced to pretend they are

Mr-Trainor
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I disagree with getting rid of the spam threads in each department for the reason that they are what enable the department to bond together. The only way they could be removed are if the department managers can create other ways to help departments bond together, as it is essential that departments work together rather than against each other.

As for the Habbox staff talk about anything forum, I can see why it can be removed. I don't really use it much although people do actively use things like the staff quotes thread. As you said though, there's no need for it as they can use the public spam thread.

scottish
02-08-2010, 10:19 PM
i say we close every dept but hxhd and hxf

give ownership to that habbic guy n we're sorted

but on a srs note

"I agree"

Tintinnabulate
02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey,
I'm going to try to be like gandhi in this thread, I guess. Well I have been thinking about this for a while and I don't think its changed much since I was staff. Habbox doesn't seem to have one whole community, we have a good community, yes. But its divided up into different groups. For example I don't see many managers getting along. Maybe they do but it seems to look like they are at war or in better context 'competition', each manager wants to make their department better than the others.

Habbox have other set 'groups' like the tech geeks, the rebellious spammers & the all important habboers. Lets be honest spam members don't get on well with the people in the habbo forum. Like wise with other sections. Within departments, groups form and ******** starts, its funny but true. I like how the forum team seem to be trying to interact with other departments such as the help desk. Department managers need to come up with a plan to basically clash with one another.

Don't get me wrong, the groups I'm talking about are groups because they don't share the same interests. However that said, it doesn't mean they can't get along & just generally have a laugh together. These groups need to make more of an effort to accept people and not flame them because they are discussing something that doesn't rock their boat.

It would be nice to see departments clash, I don't know how but I'm sure people could come up with some good ideas.

Rich.

I agree. Even the management know all dept managers compete. While a little competition isn't bad, the level of ******** I have seen on MSN about other dept managers is unbelievable. Its not just different depts not liking each other, but members within the same department don't speak.

Callum.
02-08-2010, 10:34 PM
The old spam RuneScape rivalry used to be good. But I see where you're coming from.

Nixt
02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
It's very difficult for me to comment on members themselves mainly because, admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been able to fully identify with members as I used to when I was a Moderator and even a Super Moderator. The real issue for us is that we can't really do much to ensure that members themselves interact, whilst we would love it for everyone to come together as a big community it's impossible for us force people to do that. If anyone has any ideas regarding the bringing together of all communities - the spammers, gamers, tech geeks etc, it would be great!

As for staff, in terms of Department Managers we have endeavoured to bring the Management community closer. I think it is fair to say when we got promoted the Management team was very separate and segregated. Since then we have done two things which I think have actively benefit the Managers and their departments.

Actively utilise the department manager's forums for discussions revolving around Habbox, promoting inter-department communication.
Monthly management meetings, and a discussion thread thereafter.

Since the introduction of these I do feel that, slowly but surely, departments have began working together a lot better. The barriers that were there are breaking down but it has / will be a slow process. Again the more we can do to improve this and, if necessary, make it public we will. Suggestions are welcomed.

Finally I'll give my two cents on the spam thread situation. Sometimes I feel that we should get rid of all the spam threads and / or move them to the spam forum. The problem is that it does definitely detract staff attention from the forum as a whole and it's removal may encourage posting around the forums as a whole, notably the spam forum. However if this is to happen, it really would have to be a two way thing. The spam forum can be very cliquey and I understand a lot of staff are literally too 'scared' to post in there for fear of disapproval or rejection.

In terms of its positives, the staff spam threads do work to bring a community feel within the department and bring staff members together. They are a very effective method of ensuring that staff get on with each other and get to know each other well. Alternative methods of making this work, without the spam threads, could be looked into :).

Inseriousity.
03-08-2010, 06:34 AM
If you'd have said this 2 months ago, I'd have agreed with you (and have often said it myself). There was/still is a 'every manager for themselves' ideology in the management team but it has definitely improved. It's far easier for me to ask for things now and while I can't go into details of what we're discussing in the management forum, it's finally good to see it get used! I'm sure, as Saurav said, there'll be lots of ******** still. We're not always going to like someone but we shouldn't let that get in the way of improving Habbox and promoting is as best we can.

As for spam threads, I disagree. At the end of the day, Habbox isn't work. It shouldn't just be about work because it's an online voluntary job. The spam thread in competitions wasn't really used that often before I hired these chatty trialist and while I find spam annoying sometimes, it's nice to see some bonding for once. You say that the removal of these spam threads will increase posting around the other forums but I don't think it would, I just think it'll decrease posting in the staff forums.

I think it's hard, maybe even impossible, to find a forum with one big community. There'll always be little groups. It's just human nature.

Sharon
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
why would you get rid of staff spam threads :S

you all complain about lack of communiction between staff... well what do you think its for

you can't make people comunicate if they have nothing in common eg. you don't see a spammer talking to someone who posts in tech every day...

Nemo
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
why would you get rid of staff spam threads :S

you all complain about lack of communiction between staff... well what do you think its for

you can't make people comunicate if they have nothing in common eg. you don't see a spammer talking to someone who posts in tech every day...We're not asking for something like spam talking to tech, we're talking about spam talking to staff spam, im not seeing much difference personally. The current spam isnt stand offish at all imo, as long as you aren't really annoying, you're fine. And if it does seem stand offish to new people, then having staff in there balancing it out can only be a good thing personally, instead of creating this divide between the normal members and the staff like we currently have. I dont think i've even talked to half of the staff, dont even know who half of them are actually now that i think about it.

And there's a difference between just general posting (which is what we want to get rid of in the staff forums) and communicating. Communication can easily be achieved without having the spam threads. Sure you won't all be as much friends, but atleast you'll interact with more of the forum, which i can only see as a good thing.

Richie
03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Shazzy lol staff don't communicate through spam they post pointless crap like people do in spam, you have pm, msn or profile posting for communication. Spam is for spam if its for communicating which it isn't it wouldn't be called spam :S

FlyingJesus
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
We're not asking for something like spam talking to tech, we're talking about spam talking to staff spam

Have you seen most of staff spam?

as long as you aren't really annoying, you're fine.

Have you seen most of staff?

Nemo
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Have you seen most of staff spam?

Have you seen most of staff?No and no sadly D:

although i see your point

xxMATTGxx
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Shazzy lol staff don't communicate through spam they post pointless crap like people do in spam, you have pm, msn or profile posting for communication. Spam is for spam if its for communicating which it isn't it wouldn't be called spam :S

It depends which spam threads you are looking at. The ones I've read the department bond quite well within their department spam thread. :P

Hecktix
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I've found the mod spam thread absolutely vital for mod bonding, so I do see the point in spam threads.

What I don't see the need for however is the 'Staff Talk about anything' forum.

Charlottay!
03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
im in agreement that we dont need the "staff talk about anything" forum. thats full of useless things that can be incorporated into the main forum.

however individual department spam threads are used for general staff communication. without that in most departments people would actually never talk and the departments would be pretty divided.
If you have a problem with them being spam threads then perhaps they should be renamed to Staff bonding threads. I speak for events here and that our thread is not used for pointless things but actual for general communication and bonding.

Alex3213
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
im in agreement that we dont need the "staff talk about anything" forum. thats full of useless things that can be incorporated into the main forum.

however individual department spam threads are used for general staff communication. without that in most departments people would actually never talk and the departments would be pretty divided.
If you have a problem with them being spam threads then perhaps they should be renamed to Staff bonding threads. I speak for events here and that our thread is not used for pointless things but actual for general communication and bonding.

I do agree with your point, I know in other spam threads I've seen it's just picture after picture after picture by the same person which isn't communicating at all and is just generally annoying. I talk in the Spam Thread a bit for both depts I work for, but someone doing that puts me off, because it's a good way to communicate.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!