PDA

View Full Version : [Film] how do you feel about the 3D film movement?

RedStratocas
04-08-2010, 12:22 AM
i was discussing this with someone today, thought itd be a good thread. im sure everyone's noticed the surge in 3D movies the past couple of years, what do you think of it?

there's a tongue-in-cheek joke going around "if you can't make it good, make it 3D" which i think holds a fair amount of truth. when the movement first started it was mostly animated films, and it worked to an extent, like with coraline. but its getting really out of hand to me. it seems like a lot of movies (and im sure there will be more after avatar) are focusing solely on special effects and visual appeal rather than actual story lines. there's always been films like this (see: career of michael bay) but i feel like at this point its going to be almost a requirement of film producers and executives that certain movies must be in 3D or they wont even bother making it. the logic behind this is to combat movie pirating, since you have to pay more to see a movie in 3D, and a movie thats supposed to be seen in 3D cant really be downloaded and watched on a computer. but in general i dont like watching movies in 3D; its pointlessly more expensive, i hate wearing those clunky glasses for so long/over my real glasses, the glasses make the film less clear, and often after a while i simply forget that it's even in 3D, which kinda renders it pointless to me.

Misawa
04-08-2010, 12:30 AM
3D is a gimmick and nothing more. It's been around since the '50s. There was a boom then, a boom in the '80s and now a boom from 2009 onwards, featuring mostly post-conversion 3D which looks horrendous.

3D is used to mask poor story
3D makes picture quality darker
A huge percentage of viewers cannot watch in 3D due to the health of their vision
A lot of Hollywood heavyweights outright refuse to use the technology

If you've ever seen a 3D film, you've already seen the others. Theyr'e all use the same tricks. Film wasn't made for 3D and you can't use the third dimension to tell stories. 3D is not here to stay.

crazed
04-08-2010, 12:46 AM
A lot of films recently have offered 3D, only a selected few I watched in 3D and in all honesty I saw no 3D. There might have been the odd bit of "OMG ITS COMING OUT OF THE SCREEN" but nothing special. The whole film isn't in 3D it just like parts, and its just utter crap. I have not seen one 3D film that I have enjoyed watching.

Jordy
04-08-2010, 12:51 AM
The images always come across as very poor quality to me and a fair bit darker. In all honestly I think it's pointless, it makes no difference to my opinion of the film what-so-ever. People raved about Avatar's 3D however I came away thinking that 3D still has an awful long way to go before it's "decent".

It's just a gimmick and I'm sure we're all tired of seeing things thrown towards you in an attempt to make you surprised.

Neversoft
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Disappointed.

Hecktix
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I am rather pissed off with this 3D film stuff, I feel that a lot of film makers are spending far too much money on making their films 3D and then kinda forgetting they have to make a good story too. I don't personally think I've seen a good film in 3D, apart from Avatar - which is just as good normal anyway.

I think it's a waste of money and films should not be made in 3D - it's slowly ruining films for me.

Mikey
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I watched Toy Story in 3D at the Imax. The whole thing was in 3d and it was brilliant :)

Fez
04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Done right, it's great.
Done at all, even right, the picture quality worsens anyway.
Gimmick to try and make you all pay that bit extra. HOLLYWOOD IS DYING HAHAHAHAHA.

Andeeh
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
not to forget you have to pay a couple of extra quid to see it in 3D. It's a joke!

Suspective
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM
It has potential, but it isn't the industry's greatest thing. There is 3D televisions now.

Lost_Addict
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
A lot of films recently have offered 3D, only a selected few I watched in 3D and in all honesty I saw no 3D. There might have been the odd bit of "OMG ITS COMING OUT OF THE SCREEN" but nothing special. The whole film isn't in 3D it just like parts, and its just utter crap. I have not seen one 3D film that I have enjoyed watching.
d is meant for depth now a days not the OMG its coming at me effect.

Fallen
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I loved 3D when it was just on a few films at the cinema, but now its like on every film and its very expensive!

Nemo
06-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I dont really care about it, as long as they keep stuff in 2d aswell then whatever. I dont like wearing the glasses after a while but other than that i dont think i'd notice a big difference

[Jay]
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I havent seen a film in 3d for ages, last film I saw was spy kids 3D which was rubish but im sure the technology has moved on a bit and its better.
I do agree that 3D is being used to cover up the flaws in movies (bad story line / actors). I dont care to much for 3D.
On the + side 3D does stop piracy and makes more money for the movie companys which is why so many films are coming out in 3D.

Tintinnabulate
11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
If they can make it good then yes e.g. Avatar.

Samantha.
11-08-2010, 10:31 PM
3D sometimes is rubbish on a film, i thought Alice and Wonderland is 3D was absolute rubbish and there was no need for it to be in 3D but some films are amazing in 3D like Toy Story 3 was fantastic in 3D.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!