PDA

View Full Version : Forum Calendar for Events

Josh
05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2rgf1i0.png

Alrighty. I am from Australia and I am regularly on Habbox an "international" site. However, by the looks of the above calendar, it isn't very friendly for international users. The actual event name has the BST time in it as well, which is very annoying considering my forum time is past that already.

I'm not sure if it is possible, but here is my idea:

With the date on the side, I think it should also include time for it in forum time (so it's different for each timezone). This would just make it a lot more user friendly for the international users that you invite to the site.

The way it is, it just shows that Habbox is not trying hard enough to cater for international users.

Nemo
05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2rgf1i0.png

Alrighty. I am from Australia and I am regularly on Habbox an "international" site. However, by the looks of the above calendar, it isn't very friendly for international users. The actual event name has the BST time in it as well, which is very annoying considering my forum time is past that already.

I'm not sure if it is possible, but here is my idea:

With the date on the side, I think it should also include time for it in forum time (so it's different for each timezone). This would just make it a lot more user friendly for the international users that you invite to the site.

The way it is, it just shows that Habbox is not trying hard enough to cater for international users.
I agree to some extent. But didnt they recently have those really late night giveaways that were at like 2am for us? But i guess they could change this to make it much easier for people in other countries

Josh
05-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree to some extent. But didnt they recently have those really late night giveaways that were at like 2am for us? But i guess they could change this to make it much easier for people in other countries

Sure, they try and bring in international users, but do they accommodate them well?

xxMATTGxx
05-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure if anything could be done to alter the calender in a way to show more times. Although when you click an event would you like it to show more than one timezone? We could always get them to do it themselves.

Josh
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
It shows my timezone on it if I click it (because of my forum settings). Does it really need the date there? It shows the events that are happening today so why put a date there? Is it possible to make the time there?

The name that Charl enters has the BST Time and it just doesn't help new users who would have no clue how to convert timezones.

xxMATTGxx
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
It shows my timezone on it if I click it (because of my forum settings). Does it really need the date there? It shows the events that are happening today so why put a date there? Is it possible to make the time there?

The name that Charl enters has the BST Time and it just doesn't help new users who would have no clue how to convert timezones.

So using that for events, you know the times are in your timezone? We made sure people put [BST] on so they knew all the times were actually in BST and they could check what that time is in their time. If you get me?

Josh
05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
So using that for events, you know the times in your timezone? We made sure people put [BST] on so they knew all the times were actually in BST and they could check what that time is in their time. If you get me?

If the BST time is in there, new people would get confused. Some people have trouble registering, let alone changing/setting their timezone for their timezone. I don't mean to be mean but I'm sure there are people out there like that. As Habbox says, it caters for a younger audience... I doubt they know all the timezone crap so I reckon they could get easily confused by the whole BST thingo and rock up to an event at 7pm THEIR TIME when they are really early.

Nemo
05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
So using that for events, you know the times are in your timezone? We made sure people put [BST] on so they knew all the times were actually in BST and they could check what that time is in their time. If you get me?
perhaps put a timer converter at the bottom? :p

xxMATTGxx
05-08-2010, 01:09 PM
If the BST time is in there, new people would get confused. Some people have trouble registering, let alone changing/setting their timezone for their timezone. I don't mean to be mean but I'm sure there are people out there like that. As Habbox says, it caters for a younger audience... I doubt they know all the timezone crap so I reckon they could get easily confused by the whole BST thingo and rock up to an event at 7pm THEIR TIME when they are really early.

I suppose you do have a point. So without BST is this no longer a problem or do you have a good suggestions we can try and do minimize the confusion.

Josh
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure. It depends if the date thing next to it can be changed. It is obsolete basically because the event only shows up on the day. IF it could be changed, then you could do that. But if it couldn't be changed, you would probably have to promote it, get the user to somehow click it. Not sure other than that. It just has to be user-friendly.

xxMATTGxx
05-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure. It depends if the date thing next to it can be changed. It is obsolete basically because the event only shows up on the day. IF it could be changed, then you could do that. But if it couldn't be changed, you would probably have to promote it, get the user to somehow click it. Not sure other than that. It just has to be user-friendly.

I did get Jamesy to look into it to see if it's even possible at all. He has just got back to me after some digging and saying its not easily possible I'm afraid.

Note:

I think the issue is that having the name in the actual "Events title" itself. Because the times the person puts on the actual event such as: 8pm to 9pm" is all done via whatever you have set your vBulletin timezone settings to. Although the title does not do that.

So is this where we stop doing that or?

Josh
05-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah I guess. Close or whatever you like.

Thanks Jamesy.

Catzsy
05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
The event is always advertised on the forum about 30 minutes before the scheduled event so I guess checking the community announcements would be an idea as well. :)

Josh
05-08-2010, 02:18 PM
The event is always advertised on the forum about 30 minutes before the scheduled event so I guess checking the community announcements would be an idea as well. :)

Sometimes that isn't enough notice.

Robbie
05-08-2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.habbox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80007&Itemid=500233

That gets the events from the forum timetable and automatically puts it in your time :)

You can get to it by going to Habbox.com then clicking 'Events Calendar' under the Win Win Win category :)

Catzsy
05-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Sometimes that isn't enough notice.

Well the only other thing I can think of is a world time converter linked somewhere around the calender such as this.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I don't know if this would be possible although it seems Robbie may have solved the problem. :)

Josh
05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.habbox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80007&Itemid=500233

That gets the events from the forum timetable and automatically puts it in your time :)

You can get to it by going to Habbox.com then clicking 'Events Calendar' under the Win Win Win category :)

Yeah, I understand that, but I never would have found that, and neither would have new users I think. Of course, that would work, but the forum calendar can't be just ignored. If we are just going to direct people to the Habbox Calendar, why bother with the forum calendar?

Robbie
05-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I understand that, but I never would have found that, and neither would have new users I think. Of course, that would work, but the forum calendar can't be just ignored. If we are just going to direct people to the Habbox Calendar, why bother with the forum calendar?

Well if Jamesy can't find a way to do it, then maybe a link to that could be added under the forum calendar saying that it shows the events in the users local time?

Josh
05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Well if Jamesy can't find a way to do it, then maybe a link to that could be added under the forum calendar saying that it shows the events in the users local time?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now that we know we can't change it.

Robbie
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah that's what I'm thinking now that we know we can't change it.

I'd imagine that adding a link there is quite simple, so I can't really any reason why it wouldn't be done.

HotelUser
05-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd imagine a link could be appended to direct the user to this (http://www.habbox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80007&Itemid=500233) page which outlines the week's events in local time for the user's convenience.

With a little TLC I'm sure the script at the bottom of Habbox Forum could be made to automatically adjust for a time offset with the same function I've put on Habbox.com, although it's rather out of my jurisdiction to discuss the coding affairs on HabboxForum.com.

Robbie
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
The times are in the users time when they click the event link on the forum anyway. Of course, they have to set that and it's not done automatically like your function - but yeah I agree.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!