PDA

View Full Version : How to develop a in XP

GoldenMerc
10-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Well im wanting to learn a new coding language, im wanting to possibly make a new application for windows XP what would i need to learn ect? and is it hard?
Ross

MintExtras
10-08-2010, 06:16 PM
C++ and/or Java :) And they're just as hard to learn as php i would say :)

GoldenMerc
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Whats better C++ or Java
Plus what would i develop in?

Apolva
10-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Whats better C++ or Java
Plus what would i develop in?

C++ has better performance and is better for things like 3D games (it's a low-level language) whereas Java is more portable (but run inside a virtual machine).

Both Java and C++ will run on pretty much any platform/OS, but with Java there's much less hassle porting from one platform to another.

If you're aiming for Windows only, C# (C Sharp) is a fair amount easier to code and ranks just under C++ with regards to performance.

Recursion
10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
If you can, try to avoid Windows XP, it's a(n already dead) dying platform. You're best using the cool new stuff you can do with C# and C++ in Windows 7.

If you can, get MS Visual Studio 2010 for free from www.dreamspark.com, It doesn't matter what some people may say, it IS the best IDE out there :)

GoldenMerc
10-08-2010, 08:39 PM
What i was trying to do was develop most of it on xp then move it over to android and after android the mac os.

Recursion
10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
In that case, I'd look at Java, the code will be mostly compatible with every major OS.

Ideally, you'd go (not necessarily that order):
Windows - C#
Android - Java
MacOS - Cocoa

Trigs
10-08-2010, 11:23 PM
If you want to get into desktop programming, start off with something simpler than C++ like C#. My personal favourite is Java though.

Apolva
11-08-2010, 01:04 AM
In that case it's probably best you begin with Java, that way you'll be able to develop for pretty much any platform (most feature/smartphones support it with Java ME).

The Java IDE I use is NetBeans (simplifies the coding/compiling/debugging) - http://netbeans.org/

Doppelmayer
11-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Check out Appcelerator, you can use Html, CSS, Javascript, Ajax, Ruby & Python to create awesome desktop apps that are cross platform.

http://www.appcelerator.com/products/titanium-desktop-application-development/

Recursion
11-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Check out Appcelerator, you can use Html, CSS, Javascript, Ajax, Ruby & Python to create awesome desktop apps that are cross platform.

http://www.appcelerator.com/products/titanium-desktop-application-development/

Interesting, got any idea how well it works? :P

Doppelmayer
11-08-2010, 10:07 PM
It's not bad. A lot of the features I've dumped and created different methods, but It has great potential. I've created a Retail Point of Sale that's being used a few stores right now. I'm working on some other retail applications ATM. So yeah, It's not bad.

Trigs
12-08-2010, 01:45 AM
What databases does it support?

Recursion
12-08-2010, 10:02 AM
It's not bad. A lot of the features I've dumped and created different methods, but It has great potential. I've created a Retail Point of Sale that's being used a few stores right now. I'm working on some other retail applications ATM. So yeah, It's not bad.

I was gunna give it a go for some mobile apps but on Mac it wants me to get the iPhone SDK (I only want to go for Android) and on Windows it can't find my JDK for Android development, when I know it's there. >.<

Hurf Durf.

Ill stop hijacking your thread now, sorry :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!