PDA

View Full Version : Android V iPhone

JACKTARD
11-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I read somewhere that in the last 2 months more android devices have been sold than iPhones...

Do you think that android is overtaking the apple app store and will eventually become the most used "app store"??

Recursion
11-08-2010, 04:51 PM
The Apple app store still has many more apps, most of them fart soundboards and other rubbish though ;)

And yes, Android is/will overtake Apple, but we have to remember, Android is selling on a collection of phones, from a collection of manufacturers, on a collection of carriers, whilst iOS is selling on one phone, from just a few carriers.

Anyone who say it won't overtake iOS is talking rubbish, it's a fact it will, just not necessarily for the reasons people think.

Android FTW!

Grippz
11-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Probably, 9/10 of the apps on the iPhone app store are rubbish lolol

Circadia
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Probably, 9/10 of the apps on the iPhone app store are rubbish lolol
Don't Diss Apps its my last name :'(
OT - i think They will overtake apple but i'm not too sure :)

W00TZEH
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Symbian is still selling more than both.

Recursion
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Symbian is still selling more than both.

That's because it's cheap and on a **** ton of phones :P

Jam
11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd love to see how many Apps the App Store has without the multitude of 'Free', 'Lite' and 'HD' versions of the same app, it must be a significant chunk.

Christian
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
The android app store will become more popular and actually about 76% of android apps are free on the android market compared to 23% of apps in the App store for iPhone are free.

I'd love to see how many Apps the App Store has without the multitude of 'Free', 'Lite' and 'HD' versions of the same app, it must be a significant chunk.

I noticed that as well and they tend to have a lot of tacky looking ads on them.

Generally I've found with android apps when the developer has released a free and paid version of the app on a lot of the free versions the only difference is that there are ads and little feature differene. If you don't like paying for apps android is much well suited for you.

GommeInc
11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
The Apple app store still has many more apps, most of them fart soundboards and other rubbish though ;)

And yes, Android is/will overtake Apple, but we have to remember, Android is selling on a collection of phones, from a collection of manufacturers, on a collection of carriers, whilst iOS is selling on one phone, from just a few carriers.

Anyone who say it won't overtake iOS is talking rubbish, it's a fact it will, just not necessarily for the reasons people think.

Android FTW!
What she said.

Android is just generally a better OS - any OS that can run on a variety of handsets and hardware is arguably better at coping with change. Look at the iPhone, iOS4 is proof that yet again Apple cannot future-proof their products. The original iPhone cannot support it because iOS4 is (from what I can tell at least) heftier than previous iOS', while the AndroidOS gets simpler and uses less resources thus can be used sufficiently on smaller/less powerful phones, which is where variety comes into play.

As far as I see, the App Store for iPhone isn't that amazing and contains just as many good apps as you can find on Android, with Android having some niftier ones like Home Screen changers, widgets and Swype. The iPhone isn't an amazing, must have phone anymore. Selling it on "simplicity" is aload of hash cake, when an Android can be made simpler because the Android OS is built to be customisable - add a clock widget, phonebook and the like and you've got yourself a simple homescreen. Heck, with ADW Launcher you can have just the one screen if you need simplicity, with contacts and the main apps there on the one screen. It's amazing how simple Android can be :P

MrPinkPanther
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
The Android store is not predicted to overtake the iOS Appstore until 2015. This is because iPhone users are more inclined to download apps and tend to be more "Tech savvy". That's not to say Android users are not but many fairly average mobile phones run Android which people on a budget can afford. It also must be noted that many apps are downloaded from the App store on the iPod Touch and iPad not just the iPhone. Even after 2015 the revenue generated between the two stores will likely be incomparable, the iPhone attracts more "premium" developers for a reason. People are generally more prepared to pay for their Apps on the iPhone than on Android and hence most of the very best gaming franchises appear on the iPhone and not Android, whilst this is beginning to change it is nowhere near there yet and likely won't be for a considerable amount of time.

So in short yes I think it will if things continue as they are but if Apple expand beyond the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch then it may not happen for a very very long time.

In August 2010 Android crossed the 1 Billion apps sold market. Previously in June 2010 the iPhone App Store passed 5 Billion downloads. Anyone who says it will switch round soon is frankly naive.

GommeInc
11-08-2010, 09:55 PM
The Android store is not predicted to overtake the iOS Appstore until 2015. This is because iPhone users are more inclined to download apps and tend to be more "Tech savvy".
Being able to waste money on a device doesn't make you more tech savvy :S I'd say it's the other way round, Android users are more likely to be tech savvy, seeing as some apps you have to install manually by plugging it into a USB, adding Android app files and installing them that way if they're not available in the App Market. iPhone seems more for the dumb or those wanting a simple device, as Apple and some users market it (with many from here saying it's a simple, easy to use device).

Also, Android is pretty recent. iOS has been around for years and been very popular thanks to Apple, who really only took off with the iPod :/

Adding to that, any major company would develop apps for any major device. It's basic business practice to reach a wider audience.

xxMATTGxx
11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Android is a good OS and will take over iOS some point in it's time. Yes Apple may have an App Store on their iPod Touch and iPad also but you are forgotten that Android tablets are also being announced and so on. So if people buy them, then they will obviously want to download and install applications. Android is doing very way in terms of people wanting a phone with that OS.

danzooo
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I do think Android is definitely taking over from iOS and the App Store's place. Android appears on a more broad spectrum of handsets and, like someone else said, Apple only has two iPhones on the market you can buy brand new.

I do agree that most of the apps on the App Store are junk like fart soundboards etc but I reckon, as Android phones' popularity increases, so will the likelihood of the Android Store being full of ****e.

Pyroka
11-08-2010, 10:55 PM

Android FTW!

Only replying to this one post:

http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/verizon-customers-iphone/

The American smartphone is probably the biggest in the world. Verizon support Android through & through, but AT&T are the only carrier in the states to have the iPhone. So lets say... Both get the iPhone, how do you think the market share will go?

I think it'll shift, quite big, in iPhone's favour. Just sayin'. When the iPhone's exclusivity deal with O2 ended in the UK, alot of people traded their old phones for iPhones, and they're gonna do that again in the states. Android will lose market share next year, plus the fact the iPhone 4 balled up has worked in their favour, so when a mistake like that isn't made, and a new pro-Android carrier is announced, it seriously wont look as good. Both Google & Apple know it really.

Anyway yeah iOS is obviously exclusive, but thats what makes it so good, its exclusive and expensive and it's a gadget which people like. I've never used Android before so I'm not gonna go on about how its crappy and stuff (like some of you probably mightve already), buuut imo, iPhone > Android for quite a long time.

I mean I don't see most of the worlds press reporting on a new Android phone lol. They'd rather report on the revolutionary iPhone. brap brap LOL.

Though I come across total pro iPhone, I did see a guy with an iPhone 4 and he was holding it wrong, he kept on losing signal it was ******* hilarious LOL they screwed up big time with the iPhone 4 and quite rightly so that Android is claiming some ground due to that. I mean, iPhone releases once a year, Android OS has been released on god knows how many phones.

Right now Android have got the upper hand on quantity and quality due to their massive screwup. K.

(and I've just realised you were talking OS-wise not phone wise my point feels silly now LOL)

xxMATTGxx
12-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Only replying to this one post:

http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/verizon-customers-iphone/

The American smartphone is probably the biggest in the world. Verizon support Android through & through, but AT&T are the only carrier in the states to have the iPhone. So lets say... Both get the iPhone, how do you think the market share will go?

I think it'll shift, quite big, in iPhone's favour. Just sayin'. When the iPhone's exclusivity deal with O2 ended in the UK, alot of people traded their old phones for iPhones, and they're gonna do that again in the states. Android will lose market share next year, plus the fact the iPhone 4 balled up has worked in their favour, so when a mistake like that isn't made, and a new pro-Android carrier is announced, it seriously wont look as good. Both Google & Apple know it really.

Anyway yeah iOS is obviously exclusive, but thats what makes it so good, its exclusive and expensive and it's a gadget which people like. I've never used Android before so I'm not gonna go on about how its crappy and stuff (like some of you probably mightve already), buuut imo, iPhone > Android for quite a long time.

I mean I don't see most of the worlds press reporting on a new Android phone lol. They'd rather report on the revolutionary iPhone. brap brap LOL.

Though I come across total pro iPhone, I did see a guy with an iPhone 4 and he was holding it wrong, he kept on losing signal it was ******* hilarious LOL they screwed up big time with the iPhone 4 and quite rightly so that Android is claiming some ground due to that. I mean, iPhone releases once a year, Android OS has been released on god knows how many phones.

Right now Android have got the upper hand on quantity and quality due to their massive screwup. K.

(and I've just realised you were talking OS-wise not phone wise my point feels silly now LOL)

The reason why you don't see say the "big news channels" reporting new Android phones is because they would report on a new one X amount of days/weeks/months. There is a ton more Android devices than there is to iPhone models. There is only one a year (in terms of a new model) so yeah....

HotelUser
12-08-2010, 12:29 AM
I use Android and I like Android. I can't do a comparison honestly because I think I'd be quite biased and say Android is better without having of used a new iPhone these days :P

MrPinkPanther
12-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Android is a good OS and will take over iOS some point in it's time. Yes Apple may have an App Store on their iPod Touch and iPad also but you are forgotten that Android tablets are also being announced and so on. So if people buy them, then they will obviously want to download and install applications. Android is doing very way in terms of people wanting a phone with that OS.
Oh yeh of course and I'm debating getting the rumoured Archos Tablet if it comes out but I can't really see Android Tablets selling as well as the iPod Touch or iPad. The thing is Apple has many "loyal" fans who will just keep purchasing products, I for example know someone who owns every generation of iPod Touch. I think these fanboys are a lot more common with Apple than Android.

Being able to waste money on a device doesn't make you more tech savvy :S I'd say it's the other way round, Android users are more likely to be tech savvy, seeing as some apps you have to install manually by plugging it into a USB, adding Android app files and installing them that way if they're not available in the App Market. iPhone seems more for the dumb or those wanting a simple device, as Apple and some users market it (with many from here saying it's a simple, easy to use device).
Exactly. What I'm saying is that many Android users don't download apps because they aren't "Tech savvy". My point is that the iPhone is a premium product and people who purchase it generally have a fair bit of knowledge about it. Whereas Android devices can often be far far cheaper and so people may use them as normal mobiles rather than smartphones. Take my Grandma for example she owns the T-Mobile Pulse Mini.

Adding to that, any major company would develop apps for any major device. It's basic business practice to reach a wider audience.
You develop for where your market is. I mean look at the PSP and DS, the DS owns the vast majority of the games market and hence not only gets many games before the PSP but it gets much more exclusives too. As I say I think this will change with Android as it grows but I don't think the Android Market will reach anywhere near the Appstore in terms of "premium titles" anytime soon.

Dean
12-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm sure Android's market will overtake Apple's app store and I'm sure that Android being open source is a bonus.

GommeInc
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Exactly. What I'm saying is that many Android users don't download apps because they aren't "Tech savvy". My point is that the iPhone is a premium product and people who purchase it generally have a fair bit of knowledge about it. Whereas Android devices can often be far far cheaper and so people may use them as normal mobiles rather than smartphones. Take my Grandma for example she owns the T-Mobile Pulse Mini.
Which makes no sense. You assume everyone who buys an iPhone is tech-savvy (as said in your original post) and assume that everyone who uses an iPhone uses it as a smart phone when you'd be surprised just how many use them as an oridinary phone (if they get by the basic signal issues :P). Although Android phones are cheaper, you assume the basic Android user isn't tech-savvy, when that's the amazing thing about Android, you can make it as simple as you want or as advanced as you want. It covers a wider spectrum than the iPhone - it's for the tech-savvy and the ones who couldn't care less, and you can make that mark on the phone by making it as basic or as funky as you want - so no, not exactly :S

You develop for where your market is. I mean look at the PSP and DS, the DS owns the vast majority of the games market and hence not only gets many games before the PSP but it gets much more exclusives too. As I say I think this will change with Android as it grows but I don't think the Android Market will reach anywhere near the Appstore in terms of "premium titles" anytime soon.
Apple do not own any major game titles or companies. Nintendo own many game companies and titles, or are heavily affiliated, with some companies utilising the features and functions of the DS e.g. Electronic Arts. So there is no comparison between Apple and Nintendo when Apple do not develop games while Nintendo do and own the consoles in which those games are played on. If anything, the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad only really get EA exclusives, which suck immensely anyway. Besides, games do not make the smartphones, Apps do, games just so happen to be sold and/or obtained through the App Store/Marketplace :/ Games make up little of the smartphone experience, and assuming smartphones are game consoles is pretty naive when it's usually suggested they're just a computer away from home - for emails, Facebook, news and stuff on the go. The gaming side is pretty minimal at best.

Major companies like the BBC develop Apps for both Android and iOS, Google develop for both (even though Android is from Google). Business aim for both big market shares, especially when the Android Marketplace is growing. A business would be pretty terrible if they cannot design for a wider market. EA does not develop games for Android because there is no desire at the moment. Games exist on Android, but they're usually mobile games rather than games made by companies that also create PC games.

xxMATTGxx
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
What I'm saying is that many Android users don't download apps because they aren't "Tech savvy"

What? :S So all the people who download applications on the iPhone is tech savvy? That is incorrect. Say If every iPhone user downloads applications, that does not say that are tech savvy. The iPhone is not rocket science and it doesn't take someone to have a not of Tech knowledge to use it. :P

MrPinkPanther
12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Which makes no sense. You assume everyone who buys an iPhone is tech-savvy (as said in your original post) and assume that everyone who uses an iPhone uses it as a smart phone when you'd be surprised just how many use them as an oridinary phone (if they get by the basic signal issues :P).
I never said "all" re-read the post, I said more. Many iPhone users don't use it as a smart phone, some use it simply as a fashion accessory. All I was saying is a higher percentage do, "average" mobiles can't run iOS, they can run Android.

Apple do not own any major game titles or companies. Nintendo own many game companies and titles, or are heavily affiliated, with some companies utilising the features and functions of the DS e.g. Electronic Arts. So there is no comparison between Apple and Nintendo when Apple do not develop games while Nintendo do and own the consoles in which those games are played on. If anything, the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad only really get EA exclusives, which suck immensely anyway. Besides, games do not make the smartphones, Apps do, games just so happen to be sold and/or obtained through the App Store/Marketplace :/ Games make up little of the smartphone experience, and assuming smartphones are game consoles is pretty naive when it's usually suggested they're just a computer away from home - for emails, Facebook, news and stuff on the go. The gaming side is pretty minimal at best.
I'm talking purely about third party titles for both devices. The DS attracts more third party support because it has a much greater market share in terms of games than the PSP, it's exactly the same as the iPhone vs Android. Yes it does make sense for a company to be on both but often it isn't logistically possible, especially for small indie developers such as the one I work for. Anyway, there are significant comparisons that can be drawn between Ninty and Apple. Both have bounced back from near oblivion, both have historically had bad third party support and both have arguably revolutionised their respective industries in recent years. As for why I selected Games, it is but an example. Games are going to be one of the most used things on a modern day smartphone. Gone are the days when they were almost exclusive to businessmen, now they are mass market devices and the majority of the time I see someone using an iPhone for purposes other than calls or texts, its for games.

However I must agree with you. I HATE it when people call smartphones games consoles. They aren't it's a completely different market.

Major companies like the BBC develop Apps for both Android and iOS, Google develop for both (even though Android is from Google). Business aim for both big market shares, especially when the Android Marketplace is growing. A business would be pretty terrible if they cannot design for a wider market. EA does not develop games for Android because there is no desire at the moment. Games exist on Android, but they're usually mobile games rather than games made by companies that also create PC games.
Some major companies do develop for both but others don't. I mean you've highlighted EA there and they are one of the (if not the) largest players in the mobile business, ok they are a bit rubbish but some of their titles are pretty good. The iPhone does have many AAA titles from large developers that Android doesn't, take GTA Chinatown wars for example. Originally a DS exclusive and the DS's highest rated game, it's on iPhone and not Android.

What? :S So all the people who download applications on the iPhone is tech savvy? That is incorrect. Say If every iPhone user downloads applications, that does not say that are tech savvy. The iPhone is not rocket science and it doesn't take someone to have a not of Tech knowledge to use it. :P

Again I didn't say that. What I said is many users don't download apps on Android because they aren't tech savvy like my Grandma for example. Even GommeInc admitted that it is fairly complex to download and install on Android and he's like your bum buddy ^^.

Dentafrice
12-08-2010, 08:57 PM
You can look at the 1 billion vs 5 billion in a few ways...

Now just imagine how long the iPhone has been out there, to the mass market; don't forget it's limited to GSM networks, and only a few... as well as only in one device.. the iPhone.

Now look at it from the Android perspective... the OS is capable of being on a CDMA or a GSM network... as well as capable of being on a numerous amount of handsets.

With all that information in mind, lets look at how fast the amount of Android handsets have increased... if it has took Apple this long to get 5 billion downloads, and this little time for 1 billion by Android, I can easily see it taken over before 2015.

I'd love to see it in a graph of how fast 1 billion downloads were achieved by Android vs how long 5 billion were achieved by Apple.

Now does that 5 billion also include iPod Touches? If so... then we can start to see how Android will catch up even quicker.

GommeInc
12-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I never said "all" re-read the post, I said more. Many iPhone users don't use it as a smart phone, some use it simply as a fashion accessory. All I was saying is a higher percentage do, "average" mobiles can't run iOS, they can run Android.
I didn't say "all" either, but I get your point :P However, you did suggest that iPhone users (no mention of 'few', 'all', 'some' etc) are tech savvy, when an iPhone is advertised as a simple smartphone, seeing as Apple do smother the thing with restrictions - they're pretty straight forward devices. Android phones vary and can be made to be simple or as complex as humanly possible while iPhones are a happy medium :) Saying "average" mobiles can't run iOS is a bit difficult to say, iOS isn't a flexible OS and isn't designed to run anything else, while Android is pretty fluid and flexible, and requires to do more, it's why iPhones aren't future-proof, the original iPhone is no obsolete because iOS 4 is too chunky to run on it, while an Android equivilent phone could happily use the latest Android.

I'm talking purely about third party titles for both devices. The DS attracts more third party support because it has a much greater market share in terms of games than the PSP, it's exactly the same as the iPhone vs Android. Yes it does make sense for a company to be on both but often it isn't logistically possible, especially for small indie developers such as the one I work for. Anyway, there are significant comparisons that can be drawn between Ninty and Apple. Both have bounced back from near oblivion, both have historically had bad third party support and both have arguably revolutionised their respective industries in recent years. As for why I selected Games, it is but an example. Games are going to be one of the most used things on a modern day smartphone. Gone are the days when they were almost exclusive to businessmen, now they are mass market devices and the majority of the time I see someone using an iPhone for purposes other than calls or texts, its for games.
Mobile phone gaming isn't seen fiable. The only major company to make games for the mobile are EA as far as I can tell, but even then they sell the same game on the DS as it's seen as the better market, which I think you agree on as the DS is obviously a better seller than the PSP and the iPhone (which some may say scrapes the portable game console market). You get the odd ROM where people have converted DS, Gameboy and other games to work on Android phones or iPhones, but never anything official. You do, however, get alot of small games appearing on both devices. Comparing the two, I'd say they're not that different after a good look at the markets, especially when you critically view the Android marketplace as smaller. The only thing the iPhone has over the Android phone is the backing of major gaming companies like we've mentioned. Gaming is a pretty small percentage of what people use their smartphones for.

Again I didn't say that. What I said is many users don't download apps on Android because they aren't tech savvy like my Grandma for example. Even GommeInc admitted that it is fairly complex to download and install on Android and he's like your bum buddy ^^.
I only said manual installs are "complex". Downloading from the Android marketplace is incredibly simple :P Click the categories, click install and so forth. Manual installs are when you upload the android app file to the phone and you use a file explorer to open and install the app. It's quite a simple procedure :)

MrPinkPanther
12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
With all that information in mind, lets look at how fast the amount of Android handsets have increased... if it has took Apple this long to get 5 billion downloads, and this little time for 1 billion by Android, I can easily see it taken over before 2015.

I'd love to see it in a graph of how fast 1 billion downloads were achieved by Android vs how long 5 billion were achieved by Apple.

Now does that 5 billion also include iPod Touches? If so... then we can start to see how Android will catch up even quicker.
iPhone Appstore launch: June 2008
Android Market launch: October 2008

They launched with just a few months between. The "2015" figure is not mine but of an independent research body. I've researched Android to work out if its viable to port some of my iOS Applications onto it, it's not at the moment but I may begin looking at it in a couple of years time.

I didn't say "all" either, but I get your point :P However, you did suggest that iPhone users (no mention of 'few', 'all', 'some' etc) are tech savvy, when an iPhone is advertised as a simple smartphone, seeing as Apple do smother the thing with restrictions - they're pretty straight forward devices. Android phones vary and can be made to be simple or as complex as humanly possible while iPhones are a happy medium :) Saying "average" mobiles can't run iOS is a bit difficult to say, iOS isn't a flexible OS and isn't designed to run anything else, while Android is pretty fluid and flexible, and requires to do more, it's why iPhones aren't future-proof, the original iPhone is no obsolete because iOS 4 is too chunky to run on it, while an Android equivilent phone could happily use the latest Android.

Ahem I said "Tend" ^^. As for the limitations thing, it's a media created issue. Apple realistically reject very little and when they reject something it's usually with good reason. Their "smothering" has prevented the spread of malicious applications like you can find on the Android store. When downloading iPhone apps I don't need to worry about viruses, not at all. I know I'm safe. At the beginning Apple were useless, absolutely useless, but recently their approval process has become more transparent and if an App is rejected the person who rejected it will call the App Developer to explain why. Correct me if I'm wrong on the backwards support but No? The original Android handsets are a lot older than the original iPhone and they can't run Android 2.2 can they?

Mobile phone gaming isn't seen fiable. The only major company to make games for the mobile are EA as far as I can tell, but even then they sell the same game on the DS as it's seen as the better market, which I think you agree on as the DS is obviously a better seller than the PSP and the iPhone (which some may say scrapes the portable game console market). You get the odd ROM where people have converted DS, Gameboy and other games to work on Android phones or iPhones, but never anything official. You do, however, get alot of small games appearing on both devices. Comparing the two, I'd say they're not that different after a good look at the markets, especially when you critically view the Android marketplace as smaller. The only thing the iPhone has over the Android phone is the backing of major gaming companies like we've mentioned. Gaming is a pretty small percentage of what people use their smartphones for.
EA suck, agreed. But the iPhone attracts most indie developers hence the sheer mass of applications. Games are a HUGE part of modern day smartphones, in fact did you know as of February 2010 it was estimated that games account for 58% of the Appstores applications?

I only said manual installs are "complex". Downloading from the Android marketplace is incredibly simple :P Click the categories, click install and so forth. Manual installs are when you upload the android app file to the phone and you use a file explorer to open and install the app. It's quite a simple procedure :)

Ah ok fair enough.

One thing I forgot to mention is Androids 1 Billion downloads is highly suspect because I believe you can return applications within 24 Hours. These are still counted towards the final downloads total.

Dentafrice
12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
The launch date doesn't correlate with the period in which the App Store actually became active... it wasn't nearly active during the early phases of Android usage... now, with as many phones coming out using the Android OS, it has skyrocketed..

Like I said... a graph of it would explain what I'm saying.

MrPinkPanther
12-08-2010, 09:53 PM
The launch date doesn't correlate with the period in which the App Store actually became active... it wasn't nearly active during the early phases of Android usage... now, with as many phones coming out using the Android OS, it has skyrocketed..

Like I said... a graph of it would explain what I'm saying.
I know what you are saying but month on month the iPhone Appstore is growing more than Android.

Between December 2009 and August 2010 Android grew by 80,000 apps.

Between November 2009 and June 2010 (A smaller period) iOS grew by 125,000 apps.

Androids highest growth rate per month has been just over 10,000 apps which was in May.

Dentafrice
12-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Compare apps to actual downloads.. I'd like to see that... you can make 50,000 soundboards and kitty noise apps... but how many of those actually get downloaded enough times to actually count? 500+ downloads?

Recursion
12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Three words: Full. Flash. Experience.

How many web-based flash apps, sites and video experiences are out there? All of which devices on 2.2 can run ;)

Dentafrice
12-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Minusssss Hulu :(

Flisker
13-08-2010, 10:05 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is Androids 1 Billion downloads is highly suspect because I believe you can return applications within 24 Hours. These are still counted towards the final downloads total.
Problem with that is that you can do that on the iPhone app store. So how many app downloads can we subtract off Apples download count?

Jam
13-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Problem with that is that you can do that on the iPhone app store. So how many app downloads can we subtract off Apples download count?

You can't. You could probably get away with requesting a refund for 'accidental purchase' once or twice but there is no legitimate way as there is on Android.

Between December 2009 and August 2010 Android grew by 80,000 apps.

Between November 2009 and June 2010 (A smaller period) iOS grew by 125,000 apps.

If just over 1 in 3 apps gets a 'Lite', 'Pro' or 'HD' version alongside the normal one (which I would say is what occurs) then those figures would be the same.

kk.
13-08-2010, 11:22 AM
you cant compare android and iphone... it'd be android vs iOS4. Android is on hundreds of phones so of course there are going to be more users of android.

But either way, all im going to say is that you dont find iPhone/iOS4 users finding faults with android.. mainly us we dont need to. ;)

---------- Post added 13-08-2010 at 12:25 PM ----------

uhm, you cant? At least not as easy. you have to contact apple, or something. never done it, never will (unless i end up buying something xpensive and its ****).

xxMATTGxx
13-08-2010, 11:39 AM
"Apple launches 'try before you buy' apps". So that would be classed as a download? :P

monsta
13-08-2010, 11:58 AM
The Android is only recent compared to Apple Apps, and it's already on thousands, if not millions, of phones. But there are far too many loyal Apple fans, who will buy their products, and is quite popular with Designers and Developers - mainly because of their graphics (I think this is what Panther meant by "Tech-savvy"). Note that because of the these fans on the internet there are a lot of mentions regarding Apple products, and many will go with the 'IT' crowd.

I guess choosing a mobile will depend on what you use them for, so you can't just compare their Apps. However I'd say the Android was for more tech-savvy people, whereas the iPhone is more for social and interactive uses.

Jam
13-08-2010, 12:31 PM
"Apple launches 'try before you buy' apps". So that would be classed as a download? :P

Its just a list of Lite and Free versions of apps.

Recursion
13-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd very much say that Tech savvy users would actually choose Android over iOS. Why would you want a locked down phone with a "dumb" (as in, it stays the same constantly, with next to no customisation) user interface if you knew what you were doing? I picked Android mainly because it was built around Linux and it opened a lot more doors for me. I can develop and push an app out onto the market for free, whereas to even test it on an iPhone I have to pay $99 and then hope it gets through Apple's ridiculous requirements.

It's weird, even around school I see more Android phones than iPhones now, even the girls are getting them!!

kk.
13-08-2010, 12:39 PM
It's weird, even around school I see more Android phones than iPhones now, even the girls are getting them!!

that was always going to happen when Android is the OS, not the phone, though. There are hundreds of more phones which has the capability of running Android, and only 4 which run iOS4, and even then its limited because of the price point.

kk.
13-08-2010, 12:39 PM

that was always going to happen when Android is the OS, not the phone, though. There are hundreds of more phones which has the capability of running Android, and only 4 which run iOS4, and even then its limited because of the price point.

Flisker
13-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd very much say that Tech savvy users would actually choose Android over iOS. Why would you want a locked down phone with a "dumb" (as in, it stays the same constantly, with next to no customisation) user interface if you knew what you were doing? I picked Android mainly because it was built around Linux and it opened a lot more doors for me. I can develop and push an app out onto the market for free, whereas to even test it on an iPhone I have to pay $99 and then hope it gets through Apple's ridiculous requirements.

It costs $25 to have a developers account allowing you to publish apps to the market.

crazed
13-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I have an android phone. I quite like it, I can't really compaire it to an iPhone as I've never owned one, only used one.

GommeInc
13-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't believe he's arguing against that. True, iOS is only on 1 to 4 phones, but at the same time iPhones are advertised everywhere - on TV, in newspapers, adverts etc. It's an accessory phone. Android and the phones it appears on are rarely advertised outside of strict adverts where "The new Sony Ericsson Xperia x10 Mini with Android" is the usual slogan. You do not see it in Coronation Street or talked about on TopGear (Jeremy Clarkson goes on and on about the iPhone). At the end of the day, Android isn't physical - the phones are. What sells iOS is the physical device that is the iPhone. iOS is popular because the iPhone is advertising it. Android isn't as popular (debateable) because there is no precise device advertising it. However, comparing the two Android is incredibly popular if the figure are true, for an OS that isn't really advertised :P

Also, your point makes little sense. After reading your post and his post, he clearly states "I see more Android phones now", so yes, he was saying Android in the phone sense, not the OS sense which is what you're talking about, which makes little sense :P

Recursion
13-08-2010, 04:36 PM
It costs $25 to have a developers account allowing you to publish apps to the market.

My point still stands, $25 ~ what? £13? vs $99 ~ £55 or something. It's cheap, and I can still test the apps on my own phone and put them on the internet for download for free if I want to.

JACKTARD
14-08-2010, 03:58 PM
One problem I find with android is that the paid ones are in different currencies and cost more than apple app stores. Generally apple's apps are all under £1 whereas android's are often £2-£3.

GoldenMerc
16-08-2010, 03:16 PM
One problem I find with android is that the paid ones are in different currencies and cost more than apple app stores. Generally apple's apps are all under £1 whereas android's are often £2-£3.
Android has far more free ones than Apple Store

GommeInc
16-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Indeed, which is why Apple have made a new system like Android/Google by making an Ad system to make money back and make some Apps free (if I remember correctly).

MrPinkPanther
16-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Well technically the Appstore has far more free applications than the Android Market. The Android Market has almost double the amount of free apps than the iPhone in percentage terms but the iPhone has over double the amount of Apps. "Premium" games on the iPhone are in addition generally cheaper as well because since iPhone users download more applications it requires a much smaller market share to generate a steady income stream.

Indeed, which is why Apple have made a new system like Android/Google by making an Ad system to make money back and make some Apps free (if I remember correctly).
Yup. The iPhones had this since pretty much day 1 in the Appstore but it was never official, it was third party. Apple were losing revenue through it so they introduced "iAds" although most apps don't utilise it yet which sucks.

Agnostic Bear
16-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Has to be Android on this side, recently switched to a Samsung Galaxy S and I do quite like it. Far more tech savvy people use Android rather than iOS as most people that use iOS do it because they've been whitewashed or want a fashion accessory as previously said. A few people (myself included) choose iOS products based on their technical features and ease of use. However changing to Android has seen a few bumps and bruises here and there but nothing that I mind at all.

So I choose Android.

MrPinkPanther
16-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Android certainly has the very top tier of "tech savvy" people who want an open source platform but in sheer volume terms I think more iPhone owners are tech savvy than Android. Popular devices like the Pulse predominately attract the casual market, the iPhone is purely a premium product and attracts very few of these "casual users". It's exactly why I believe the iPhone dominates the app market at the moment. If someone was serious about using their device as a portable computer then I fundamentally believe they would go with the iPhone. Oh and before you say it it's not cause I'm an Apple fanboy ^^. I'll be the first to admit someone wanting to use their computer for work purposes, games or something particularly technical would go with Windows or maybe even Linux over OSX. However I think the same thing applies here but in reverse. Those who are serious about Apps would buy an iPhone and Jailbreak it.

HotelUser
17-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Android certainly has the very top tier of "tech savvy" people who want an open source platform but in sheer volume terms I think more iPhone owners are tech savvy than Android. Popular devices like the Pulse predominately attract the casual market, the iPhone is purely a premium product and attracts very few of these "casual users". It's exactly why I believe the iPhone dominates the app market at the moment. If someone was serious about using their device as a portable computer then I fundamentally believe they would go with the iPhone. Oh and before you say it it's not cause I'm an Apple fanboy ^^. I'll be the first to admit someone wanting to use their computer for work purposes, games or something particularly technical would go with Windows or maybe even Linux over OSX. However I think the same thing applies here but in reverse. Those who are serious about Apps would buy an iPhone and Jailbreak it.

I gave my 50 year old mother my old G1 and from the same woman who asked me, "how many rams does my laptop have," she sure has adapted and started to adore Android--claiming that she could never go back to anything else :P

MrPinkPanther
17-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I gave my 50 year old mother my old G1 and from the same woman who asked me, "how many rams does my laptop have," she sure has adapted and started to adore Android--claiming that she could never go back to anything else :P

Which is exactly what I was saying?

On the topic of funny old people, my Grandad got two sim cards through the door from Virgin and was adamant that he had to put both in for it to work.

HotelUser
17-08-2010, 01:24 PM

On the topic of funny old people, my Grandad got two sim cards through the door from Virgin and was adamant that he had to put both in for it to work.

Yes I know, I thought it was a feel good story which fit quite smugly which what you were saying :P

Recursion
17-08-2010, 02:59 PM

wut. Tech savvy people are more likely to pick the open source platform... and if I think I understand what you're saying, that's only because of the lead in marketshare iPhone gained over Android in the few months it was out before Android was properly established.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!