PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials Forum Removal

Calvin
16-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Was just looking around the forum and noticed the Tutorials forum in the web development forum, this section was last active 27-05-2010 and hardly ever gets used and people normally post them in the development section too.

Also maybe remove the Paid Requests forum too because they can go in the web market, maybe have prefixes such as [REQUEST], [BUYING], [SELLING] like the Habbo trading section.

Oh, and maybe even remove the free requests forum as they can go in web development too.

Jamesy
16-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I agree with these, should simplify things in there :)

Blob
16-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, paid and free requests should either be merged into Requests with [FREE] or [PAID] prefixes, or both of them merged into web market.

Tintinnabulate
16-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Merging Paid and Free sounds like a good idea :).

Hecktix
16-08-2010, 11:19 PM
In terms of the requests this sounds quite plausible, I'll look into bringing it in with other forum changes on Sunday.

The thing with tutorials is they aren't really there to be posted in they are there to guide - I don't know what the tech section think of this.

I know two members were going to redo an old thread but I didn't hear anything again.

Blob
17-08-2010, 12:44 AM
In terms of the requests this sounds quite plausible, I'll look into bringing it in with other forum changes on Sunday.

The thing with tutorials is they aren't really there to be posted in they are there to guide - I don't know what the tech section think of this.

I know two members were going to redo an old thread but I didn't hear anything again.

Once I've finished a couple of scripts I will write some more if you wish.

It would be nice to keep them there, but I'm not quite sure how often they are viewed etc..

Jamesy
17-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Once I've finished a couple of scripts I will write some more if you wish.

It would be nice to keep them there, but I'm not quite sure how often they are viewed etc..

I wonder if there should be some sort of clear out and refresh of the tutorials in there - perhaps something the technical departments could do when they have some available time? I'd be more than happy than to attempt one regarding vB4 and such and work with people.

Nixt
17-08-2010, 01:07 AM
I wonder if there should be some sort of clear out and refresh of the tutorials in there - perhaps something the technical departments could do when they have some available time? I'd be more than happy than to attempt one regarding vB4 and such and work with people.

I think this is the better option! Try and get some people together and give the tutorial forum an overhaul. It has (could have) some quite value resources in there and the forum is technically designed as that rather than a place to post regularly. It would be good if we could get a lot of up to date guides in there.

Hecktix
17-08-2010, 10:03 AM
It would be nice to do a clear out yes. I will speak with Jamesy and some members of the tech forum to see what we can get done.

Blob
17-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Yeah that sounds good :)

Apolva
17-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I see it as more of a permanent sticky point for useful tech tutorials, but they're ALL MUDDLED UP.

Should be tidied/sub-categorised, eg.:
- WEB (CLIENT): HTML & CSS
- WEB (SERVER): PHP, ASP, JSP, ColdFusion
- WEB (MISC.): Flash, Shockwave, Java, Silverlight, Unity
- GRAPHICS: Photoshop, PSP, Fireworks, Illustrator
- AUDIO: SAM Broadcaster, GarageBand, FruityLoops, Logic Studio, Audacity
- PROGRAMMING: Java, C++, C#, VB
- MISCELLANEOUS: File conversion, Jail-breaking, etc.

Edit: Yes! Merge paid & free, no idea why they're separated in the first place (Prefix [PAID] for paid ones? ).

Richie
17-08-2010, 03:39 PM
If anything the paid requests should be more 'in the open'

Jamesy
17-08-2010, 06:22 PM

shoot me your email, I'm feeling brave ;)

I see it as more of a permanent sticky point for useful tech tutorials, but they're ALL MUDDLED UP.

Should be tidied/sub-categorised, eg.:
- WEB (CLIENT): HTML & CSS
- WEB (SERVER): PHP, ASP, JSP, ColdFusion
- WEB (MISC.): Flash, Shockwave, Java, Silverlight, Unity
- GRAPHICS: Photoshop, PSP, Fireworks, Illustrator
- AUDIO: SAM Broadcaster, GarageBand, FruityLoops, Logic Studio, Audacity
- PROGRAMMING: Java, C++, C#, VB
- MISCELLANEOUS: File conversion, Jail-breaking, etc.

I was thinking something along these lines of seperating them into categories for easy browsing.

Recursion
18-08-2010, 12:33 AM

I already agreed to help him out rewriting a couple and getting some new ones in. I like the idea of organizing them and giving them a bit of a refresh.

Hecktix
18-08-2010, 12:52 AM
If you guys give me the material I'll sort it all out for you :)

Apolva
18-08-2010, 11:05 AM
If you guys give me the material I'll sort it all out for you :)

Can you make it so we can post there ourselves?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!