PDA

View Full Version : AdBlock for Opera?

Recursion
17-08-2010, 03:15 PM
As the title says. HOW?!?!?!

N!ck
17-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Why? Ads are the only means of income for a lot of sites. Do you want them to die?

Recursion
17-08-2010, 03:31 PM
It's useful for more than just blocking ads, also do they get money even if I don't click on them? I NEVER click on stuff like Google Ads.

HotelUser
17-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm also interested in finding some sort of adblocker equivalent for Safari, if one exists mind you!

N!ck
17-08-2010, 03:45 PM
It's useful for more than just blocking ads, also do they get money even if I don't click on them? I NEVER click on stuff like Google Ads.

Yes. You'd probably be surprised. On most optimised sites the adsense click through rate is somewhere around 3-5% (generally closer to 3).

More and more sites are using CPM ads. This means they get paid per 1000 impressions of the ad whether it's clicked or not. This can range from like 0.2 cents per 1000 impressions to like 10 cents (or more with special agreements) per 1000 impressions depending on the quality of the traffic (USA/CA/UK vs China/Iran) and the nature of the ads displayed. If a site's getting a million hits per day with just one CPM ad at $0.03 per thousand that's $30 per day, $900 per month. Popunder/popup ads generally pay from $0.10 to $1.50 per 1000 ad loads depending on the quality of the traffic and the ad company.

If a site's getting 1 million impressions per day with a 1% adsense click through rate (more likely for popular sites) that's 10000 clicks multiplied by however many cents per click.

It all adds up. When a site is low traffic they need every bit of help they can from what ads bring.

Apolva
17-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Well the simplest form of ad-blocking always works...

Hosts file:
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 bdv.bidvertiser.com

Recursion
17-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Blah, how about a way to load the ad code but just hide it on the page? :P

Flisker
18-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Stop being fussy and let the ads load. lol

Recursion
18-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I already sorted it :P

Nemo
18-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes. You'd probably be surprised. On most optimised sites the adsense click through rate is somewhere around 3-5% (generally closer to 3).

More and more sites are using CPM ads. This means they get paid per 1000 impressions of the ad whether it's clicked or not. This can range from like 0.2 cents per 1000 impressions to like 10 cents (or more with special agreements) per 1000 impressions depending on the quality of the traffic (USA/CA/UK vs China/Iran) and the nature of the ads displayed. If a site's getting a million hits per day with just one CPM ad at $0.03 per thousand that's $30 per day, $900 per month. Popunder/popup ads generally pay from $0.10 to $1.50 per 1000 ad loads depending on the quality of the traffic and the ad company.

If a site's getting 1 million impressions per day with a 1% adsense click through rate (more likely for popular sites) that's 10000 clicks multiplied by however many cents per click.

It all adds up. When a site is low traffic they need every bit of help they can from what ads bring.You obviously didnt read what he put then, since he said he himself doesnt EVER click on them, so by saying x% of blahblah doesnt really help him or contribute anything considering he wouldnt click them if they're there or not, people might, but he didnt say that.

Glad u got it sorted.

Recursion
18-08-2010, 10:51 AM
If anyone wants to know how to block Google ads:

Right click somewhere on the webpage > Block Content > Click Details in the upper right hand corner > Add this URL:

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js

N!ck
18-08-2010, 11:31 AM
You obviously didnt read what he put then, since he said he himself doesnt EVER click on them, so by saying x% of blahblah doesnt really help him or contribute anything considering he wouldnt click them if they're there or not, people might, but he didnt say that.

Glad u got it sorted.

CPM ads?

I never click adsense either.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!