PDA

View Full Version : What

Cheryl
20-08-2010, 11:26 PM
DSLR do you have or recommend

if you are recommending one, under 500 with a basic lense maybe upto 550 :)

Thanks all

Firehorse
21-08-2010, 06:17 PM
You looking for 3D capabilities too? I've seen 3D ones for around £350.

W00TZEH
21-08-2010, 06:23 PM
You looking for 3D capabilities too? I've seen 3D ones for around £350.
He said DSLR...

roastchips
21-08-2010, 07:15 PM
For a DSLR personally i would go Nikon, only reason for that is because i myself prefer Nikon and actualy find the build quality better and also the actual system but if cannon suits you better then go Cannon alot of pros are cannon as with nikon so its all personal taste really. You also have sony and a few others but personally stick with Cannon or Nikon as lens choice is wider but sony is looking alot better now so its not to be thrown out completely.

Im not to certain on the cannon range but Nikon wise go D5000 with the 18-55 kit or if you want to learn more on composition grab yourself a 35mm F1.4, Very reasonably priced and 35mm is very nice on a DX (crop) sensor. If you want a zoom as i say go 18-55 or if you dont mind 2nd hand go for a 18-70mm this lens is a kit one but is a gem compared to most kit lenses as it can go alot wider in terms of F stops.

If youre willing to go full second hand then a Nikon D90 or a D200 should be in range and because it has a built in motor means you can get a cheap prime easily such as the 50mm f1.8. Alternatively again you could go with a 18-55 on that or the 18-105 kit lens the D90 came with but personally i would stick a 18-70 on it again.

So to sum up if you dont want 2nd hand go D5000 with 18-55 or a 35mm f1.8 if you can go 2nd hand go for it as you get alot more kit D90/D200 with a 18-55 a 18-105 or a 18-70. Or if you fancy a prime with it then a 50mm f1.8 is great or a 35 f1.4

EDIT: looking around a gripped D90 is going for around 550 so you should be able to get one with a 18-70 or 18-105 for around the same price minus the grip. D200's going for around 400 - 450

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks for that comprehensive response, I was looking for new, and also the Canon 1000D or maybe 500D or 450D, what could you say about them??

That Nikon D5000 looks quite nice :)

Alexx..
21-08-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.digitalslrphoto.com/

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=dslr+camera

Recursion
21-08-2010, 08:37 PM
If this is your first I'd get the Nikon D3000.

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 08:43 PM
http://www.digitalslrphoto.com/

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=dslr+camera
thanks so much for that

Johno
21-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Ditto. I would also look at these "starter" kits, if it's your first DSLR:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76463/show.html - Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm VR Lens (also available with just a plain 18-55mm lens)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75886/show.html - Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm Lens
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77764/show.html - Sony Alpha a290 with 18-55mm Lens

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Ditto. I would also look at these "starter" kits, if it's your first DSLR:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76463/show.html - Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm VR Lens (also available with just a plain 18-55mm lens)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75886/show.html - Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm Lens
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77764/show.html - Sony Alpha a290 with 18-55mm Lens

which of those would you recommend.

Johno
21-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I would probably say the Nikon D3000 - its seen by many as the starter camera of choice and once you get familiar with it, you can always move on to a better model. I'm considering buying one for my girlfriend and those were the three I looked at :)

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 09:07 PM
ahh ok, thanks +rep

roastchips
21-08-2010, 09:17 PM
which of those would you recommend.
Personaly i would go with the D3000 or D5000 as i say because personally i like and have worked with Nikon since i started photography and now after investing in lesnes flashes and other accessories it would cost a fortune for me to change systems. The only cannon camera i would really go for is the 5D MK2 personally everything else i think nikon has something to match or better it. Nikon is certainly the king when it comes to Off Camera Flash with the CLS and the king in the High ISO.

What you have to think is if you really get into photography what lenses ect do you want, look around and compare prices for accessories as once like me you invest in a system it will cost you a fortune to change.

if your thinking cannon i have heard the 450D is a cracking little camera so if you do want to go cannon go for that. My overall though is Nikon with a D3000 or a D5000.

Ahh yes D3000 is also a great little camera only reason i went more towards the D5000 is because it has the same sensor as the D90 and because its a bit better at high ISO meaning wont need to use built in flash as much (which is crap).

Advice for if you are going for any camera is to later on get a flashgun, while you may hate flash when you have a addon flashgun you will find you will use it more and more because of how soft natural looking like it can give when shot through a soften or bounced.

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Personaly i would go with the D3000 or D5000 as i say because personally i like and have worked with Nikon since i started photography and now after investing in lesnes flashes and other accessories it would cost a fortune for me to change systems. The only cannon camera i would really go for is the 5D MK2 personally everything else i think nikon has something to match or better it. Nikon is certainly the king when it comes to Off Camera Flash with the CLS and the king in the High ISO.

What you have to think is if you really get into photography what lenses ect do you want, look around and compare prices for accessories as once like me you invest in a system it will cost you a fortune to change.

if your thinking cannon i have heard the 450D is a cracking little camera so if you do want to go cannon go for that. My overall though is Nikon with a D3000 or a D5000.

Ahh yes D3000 is also a great little camera only reason i went more towards the D5000 is because it has the same sensor as the D90 and because its a bit better at high ISO meaning wont need to use built in flash as much (which is crap).

Advice for if you are going for any camera is to later on get a flashgun, while you may hate flash when you have a addon flashgun you will find you will use it more and more because of how soft natural looking like it can give when shot through a soften or bounced.

thanks for that

roastchips
21-08-2010, 09:38 PM
thanks for that

What kinds of things do you think you will be shooting ? May be able to advise a little bit more then on what types of lenses are avalible for each system in relation to what you want to do.

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 10:25 PM
What kinds of things do you think you will be shooting ? May be able to advise a little bit more then on what types of lenses are avalible for each system in relation to what you want to do.

could I take you up on that offer when I get a camera then you can advise just on one system saves both of us time :) will +rep again when I can as you are very willing to help

roastchips
21-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Ye thats Fine any questions feel free to go ahead. What camera you going for then ? Have i managed to get you to the goodside of Nikon or are you going the Darkside ?

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Ye thats Fine any questions feel free to go ahead. What camera you going for then ? Have i managed to get you to the goodside of Nikon or are you going the Darkside ?

a few more reviews are in order, i was just looking at the pictures and the Nikon seems to have less buttons, does this make the userface easier or harder to use/ navigate.

roastchips
21-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't listen to all reviews as some are giving bad reviews what its complely not the camera fault. Actually makes it slightly easier for this level. Nikon you click the + button i think on entry level DSLR's and it gives you the ISO and focus modes ect. On a pro level DSLR though you want more buttons like the D3 has so you can set Aperture, shutter WB and ISO from the outside so you can get the shot easily. For this level though keep it simple as to many buttons will confuse you. It may look daughnting at first but belive me you will get the hang.

If you are looking at reviews based on image quality basically ignore it a D3000 ect will produce images just as good as a D3 when the res is the same using a lens such as the 24-70 F2.8. The reason the pro cameras are more is because they can take a better beating, have water resistant, better build, more FPS ect, better in low light, Built in motors, more external controls ect. Image quality is about the glass you put in front of the camera more.

Cheryl
21-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't listen to all reviews as some are giving bad reviews what its complely not the camera fault. Actually makes it slightly easier for this level. Nikon you click the + button i think on entry level DSLR's and it gives you the ISO and focus modes ect. On a pro level DSLR though you want more buttons like the D3 has so you can set Aperture, shutter WB and ISO from the outside so you can get the shot easily. For this level though keep it simple as to many buttons will confuse you. It may look daughnting at first but belive me you will get the hang.

If you are looking at reviews based on image quality basically ignore it a D3000 ect will produce images just as good as a D3 when the res is the same using a lens such as the 24-70 F2.8. The reason the pro cameras are more is because they can take a better beating, have water resistant, better build, more FPS ect, better in low light, Built in motors, more external controls ect. Image quality is about the glass you put in front of the camera more.

ahh ok cheers so much :) that helps loads.

MattFr
22-08-2010, 10:29 AM
No idea if you're already won over by a Nikon, but I would seriously suggest not going for a low model Nikon camera. I say this because the low range Nikon bodies don't have an integrated AF motor meaning if you want to buy anymore lenses, you have to buy more expensive ones which have motors built in to the actual lens, or you can just use MF if the lens doesn't have a motor. If you want to go for Nikon, buy a second hand D90, not a D200 they're getting on a bit now.

However, as a Canon user myself, I would say get a Canon. Look at a second hand 40D, they are a step above the beginner DSLR and although a bit old now, are nice pieces of kit. If you're looking for Video though, you either have to splurge on something like a 7D (expensive) or step down to the beginner DSLRs like the 500/550D (do these have video, I haven't kept up with latest releases?).

tldr, go for Canon :P

Firehorse
22-08-2010, 10:41 AM
He said DSLR...

lol my bad, must have only glanced and read dlp

roastchips
22-08-2010, 10:46 AM
No idea if you're already won over by a Nikon, but I would seriously suggest not going for a low model Nikon camera. I say this because the low range Nikon bodies don't have an integrated AF motor meaning if you want to buy anymore lenses, you have to buy more expensive ones which have motors built in to the actual lens, or you can just use MF if the lens doesn't have a motor. If you want to go for Nikon, buy a second hand D90, not a D200 they're getting on a bit now.

However, as a Canon user myself, I would say get a Canon. Look at a second hand 40D, they are a step above the beginner DSLR and although a bit old now, are nice pieces of kit. If you're looking for Video though, you either have to splurge on something like a 7D (expensive) or step down to the beginner DSLRs like the 500/550D (do these have video, I haven't kept up with latest releases?).

tldr, go for Canon :P

Complete and utter rubbish, while what you said is 50% correct the part about lenses with motors in being more expensive is rubbish. The nikon lens range are now all nearly AF-S lenses that will autofocus on the lower model. Out of hand the only one i can think that isent is the cheap 50mm f1.8 but that on a crop sensor would be a bit long so most go for the 35mm f1.8. The only other lenses it rules out that are pretty good i can think is the 80-200 f2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 but i hardly think the OP will be buying those considering they are professional grade lenses. D200 may be getting on by it is still a great little camera and is still in par with entery level DSLR's and is stronger and built better than entery DSLR's so for that reason i would keep in ruled in, some of these little gems can still be found with low amount of usage and actually alot of press photographers still use these babys.

40D's are going very down in value and will soon be near enough out dated as even a entry level DSLR will be able to out perform in terms of ISO, Video on DSLR is a gimmick in my opinion and not worth it but if the OP does want video the D5000 the D90 or the new D3100 support this in the nikon entry range alone. 7D is not a bad camera but in my opinion the D300S from Nikon is by far the better camera in terms of ISO performance but the 7D does slightly have the upper edge in Autofocus. 550D competitor in the Nikon range is the D90 and while it maybe close again i think the nikon packs more bang for buck.

If its just portraits you are doing then i have heard very good things about the Fuji S5 pro, it uses a nikon F mount so nikon lenses fit on it and i have heard the out of camera JPGS are so good that very little people shoot RAW and PP with this camera for portraits.

MattFr
22-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Complete and utter rubbish, while what you said is 50% correct the part about lenses with motors in being more expensive is rubbish. The nikon lens range are now all nearly AF-S lenses that will autofocus on the lower model. Out of hand the only one i can think that isent is the cheap 50mm f1.8 but that on a crop sensor would be a bit long so most go for the 35mm f1.8. The only other lenses it rules out that are pretty good i can think is the 80-200 f2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 but i hardly think the OP will be buying those considering they are professional grade lenses.

40D's are going very down in value and will soon be near enough out dated as even a entry level DSLR will be able to out perform in terms of ISO, Video on DSLR is a gimmick in my opinion and not worth it but if the OP does want video the D5000 the D90 or the new D3100 support this in the nikon entry range alone. 7D is not a bad camera but in my opinion the D300S from Nikon is by far the better camera in terms of ISO performance but the 7D does slightly have the upper edge in Autofocus. 550D competitor in the Nikon range is the D90 and while it maybe close again i think the nikon packs more bang for buck.

Apologies, I was very in to the photography scene a few months back but I haven't kept up with it for a while now. Things move on so fast, I swear AF-S was only in higher range lenses, or maybe that just applies to Canon with their L range.

Although I'm now unsure about which to go for out of Canon and Nikon, I think the best advice now would be to go into a shop, play with all the bodies and lenses you might be looking at, then decide upon that.

roastchips
22-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Apologies, I was very in to the photography scene a few months back but I haven't kept up with it for a while now. Things move on so fast, I swear AF-S was only in higher range lenses, or maybe that just applies to Canon with their L range.

Although I'm now unsure about which to go for out of Canon and Nikon, I think the best advice now would be to go into a shop, play with all the bodies and lenses you might be looking at, then decide upon that.

Yes at one point AF-S was only for pro lenses but now this has been brought into 95% of the nikon range and 3 news lenses got released the other day one of which was the 85mm 1.4 now making the AF-D version out of the range. Cannon L range is cannons top quality lenses range, nikon doesn't have a name for its top lenses but these are easy to spot from usually Wide apertures, Big Costs and also most have a gold plate by the focus indicator.

I agree with your 2nd point go and have a feel of the bodies, if its you thats going to be using them then make sure you have comftable were all the dials are ect. Lense wise now nikon has arround the same as cannon apart from cannon have some cheaper pro lenses in a f4 format but really the choices are now very very similar only reason i would say you would go cannon purely on lenses choice is for there super long primes like the 800mm but i wouldn't let that worry you as only a very few have the problem of that as they cost a absolute fortune.

Cheryl
22-08-2010, 01:44 PM
thanks both, I have thoroughly read all your posts, I will go into jessops and try and touch them

roastchips
22-08-2010, 02:57 PM
thanks both, I have thoroughly read all your posts, I will go into jessops and try and touch them
Ye if you just go in and say im interested in my first DSLR can i have a test of some they will be fine. Expect them to try and heavy sell you one though as they are on commission so depending what at the moment they get the most for they will try and push you towards that. My advice is go in a try but down buy when you go in at least have a night to think about what you liked the most and why as i say if you get into photography and guy more gear you will get to such a stage were it would cost a fortune to move to a different brand unless your a sports tog but we will save that for another day ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!