PDA

View Full Version : windows encountered a problem copying files

emily965
22-08-2010, 03:39 AM
I am trying to copy some pictures onto a DVD, which I have done hundreds of times on this exact same computer. However, when I am trying to do it now it keeps giving me the error message.

Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?
And then it gives all of the detailed information for the picture. I tried copying some files onto a DVD and that is when it first gave me this same exact error message. Could I have messed something up inserting the DVD? I need to copy pictures to discs because I might be getting a new computer soon, and want to show my relatives over in the UK some photos by sending the DVD over there. Can anyone help me? Thought you might like to know. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Oh, and I have XP

Apolva
22-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Possible causes off the top of my head:
- Defective DVD (you occasionally get ones which don't work, so try a different one)
- Wrong-way up DVD (some blank dvds look the same on both sides, make sure the side with the ridge is facing down)
- The file (has it got a weird name? Is it too big? Is its file path is too long?)
- DVD drivers missing (right-click my computer > properties > hardware > device manager > is there a yellow question mark next to anything?)

-Nick
22-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Umm try the backup disk or I really don't know :S

Recursion
22-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Umm try the backup disk or I really don't know :S

... so why did you even bother posting.

As said above, check the DVD, try another one, try moving the pictures to your desktop and then burning them.

You might end up having to put them on a memory stick and try using another computer though.

Rapidshare
22-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Use a burning software, happened to me and I used some software which overrides the problem. Burn it as 'data'

Could also be that the picture is being open as you have to close down all editing/preview software for the picture(s) before being burned on to a disccc

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!