PDA

View Full Version : Should Nazi parades be allowed?

kuzkasate
22-08-2010, 05:20 PM
In some countries like Latvia & Ukraine, Nazi veterans march the country, remembering their fellow World War II comrades, who died fighting alongside Nazi Germany.

Take this year, in Latvia, people supported the Nazi's and cheered them on their annual march to Riga's Freedom Monument at the center of town to lay flowers.

Heavily gaurded by police officers, the veterans, who were at the same time heckled by dozens of people who turned up to protest the commemoration of former Nazi Germany's Waffen SS officers shouting, "No quarter for fascists" and "Nazis get out of Latvia."

What do you personally think of this? I think that Nazi parades should be banned, people still go around supporting the Nazis and shouting HAIL HITLER. I find this disgusting, I have LOADS of family who fought in WW2 (some are still alive) & it absolutely ANGERS me that they let these parades happen, those people are scum & they deserve to die & not walk around the country where they are treated as heroes.

Catzsy
22-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Do you mean german soldiers or nazis? I guess the ordinary german people should commemorate their dead wherever they are welcome.

AgnesIO
22-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Being a nazi doesn't make you scum.

Hitler was evil agreed, but I think we should keep our noses out.

I would rather the idiotic neo-nazi people celebrate the past, than start a new future

kuzkasate
22-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Do you mean german soldiers or nazis? I guess the ordinary german people should commemorate their dead wherever they are welcome.
Nazis.

Being a nazi doesn't make you scum.

Hitler was evil agreed, but I think we should keep our noses out.

I would rather the idiotic neo-nazi people celebrate the past, than start a new future
Well it kinda does tbh.. & if they support them now, then who knows what will happen in the future?

HotelUser
22-08-2010, 05:42 PM
In recognition of the genocide inflicted upon the world by Nazi Germany, I think there should be no legal recognition or remembrance of any variants of nazis past or present.

Good debate idea, OP, +rep!

ziziziz
22-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Tbh the nazi's had no choice but to go to war, hitler made them so yknow.

-paul.
22-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I believe they should be allowed to support their veterans like we do with ours. But i dont believe they should support a new wave of Nazism

Axel
22-08-2010, 06:07 PM
A lot of the soldiers fighting for Nazi Germany had no idea of the atrocities going on behind the scenes, so can't really be considered 'scum'. They're just as respectable as any other WW2 veteran. However, there are a large number of soldiers who did know about and were involved in the holocaust. So I dunno what to say to outright banning parades... banning parades for the Nazi idea of holocaust, sure.

AgnesIO
22-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Nazis.

Well it kinda does tbh.. & if they support them now, then who knows what will happen in the future?

Not all nazi's were evil.

KebabJuice
22-08-2010, 06:49 PM
If all the O.A.P's are asleep yes; because if theyre awake they may die. - hearts not as good as it used to be if you know what i'm saying >.>

dbgtz
22-08-2010, 10:40 PM
no problem tbh, apart from those who think nazis are 1337 or those who hate against this. However they should probably be more low key because alot of negativity will go against it.

Jordy
22-08-2010, 10:46 PM
By all means veterans should meet up and remember fellow veterans but they shouldn't be advocating Nazism. While you are right, they didn't get much choice about signing up and fighting, they must recognise that Hitler was wrong and Nazism is a terrible thing now all the facts have come to light.

RedStratocas
22-08-2010, 10:49 PM
they shouldnt be banned, i believe in free speech.

GommeInc
23-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Yes and no, it's hard to say really. On the one hand you have the soldier who died for a cause and at the time they may not have agreed with it or simply of been innocent, as it would be wrong to assume all soldiers are evil, as some do what they are told as it is their "duty", but on the other hand you have the countless numbers of innocent people killed by the Nazi regimé. It depends if it's honouring Nazism, or the dead who died in the war, as it seems a bit unclear for now :/

Nimueh
23-08-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm a libertarian, so it would take a lot for me to side against freedom of speech, freedom of association, and freedom of assembly.

Let me start by saying that I dislike Nazis... a lot. I would not bat an eyelash if I heard every single one of those skinheaded Neo-Nazis died in a fire. I'm against both their ideals and their practices, and if I was the ruler of the world, I would probably send them on an all expense paid vacation to the sun.

Luckily the world is safe from my totalitarian fantasies, and we do have some core rights that I believe apply to all people uniformly. Besides, we aren't talking about some Neo-Nazi rally in London or DC, we are talking about veterans from a war honoring their fallen with flowers. I would be upset if someone went out and killed a group of WWII vets, regardless of what side they fought on. The world was at war, and the Nazi propaganda machine was a monster. I'm sure a majority of them were convinced they were doing the right thing, fighting for their country and their family. I hold no grudge against them for that. The joking about Neo-Nazis aside, any loss of life is tragic, and I'm happy there are people left to honor those who have passed away because of a mad man's attempt to rule the world.

The way I look at it, if we start limiting people's freedoms, be it the Nazis or our citizens, then Hitler has won. Mussolini has won. Stalin has won. We don't live in a totalitarian world. The fundamental rights of the soldiers did not get revoked when they lost the war. A Nazi solider is still a person first and foremost, and I don't care if they are honoring their grandmothers or their comrades, their rights should remain firm.

Political rallies and other things those Neo-Nazis do are a whole different story. But even those kinds of demonstrations have legal alternatives other than taking away their rights to express themselves. Because in the end, those hecklers at the march did more than canceling the march would have. Censorship is never the answer, especially when it comes to honoring the dead.

So I say let them march, but they should remember that the freedom they enjoy is a double-edged sword. They do not deserve nor are they entitled to protection from other's thoughts. So people can and should go out and protest their march all they want. They can stand on the side lines and ensure that those men never forget the horrors they helped make possible.

Jessicrawrr
23-08-2010, 08:25 AM
They should be able to remember they're fellow veterans, but if things like 'Hail Hitler' are coming out of their mouths then yeah, it shouldn't be allowed.
Hitler did disgusting things, unforgettable things and those people shouldn't say those things.

are these parades in Germany or in other countries?

AgnesIO
23-08-2010, 11:21 AM
They should be able to remember they're fellow veterans, but if things like 'Hail Hitler' are coming out of their mouths then yeah, it shouldn't be allowed.
Hitler did disgusting things, unforgettable things and those people shouldn't say those things.

are these parades in Germany or in other countries?

In some countries like Latvia & Ukraine, Nazi veterans march the country :)

Ajthedragon
23-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I grandparent fought for the Nazi's and he thinks this is disgusting. :P No way should it be allowed, but I guess people are entitled to their own opinions.

Catzsy
23-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Not all nazi's were evil.

I think what you mean not all germans were nazis - they were the most fanatic i.e. the gestapo.

AgnesIO
23-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I think what you mean not all germans were nazis - they were the most fanatic i.e. the gestapo.

But if you fought against England in the war, and you were German , that wouldn't make you hate jews etc

Recursion
23-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes I think they should, free speech and all. Everyone wants free speech and the right to worship whoever and do whatever within the law but they dislike people practicing their beliefs? Wut.

RedStratocas
23-08-2010, 04:15 PM

nah nazi soldiers werent all evil. you have to think of the context, germany was in the toilet economically for years and were disregarded from the rest of europe since the end of WWI. citizens were incredibly poor. most soldiers weren't really primarily thinking about killing jews or invading other countries (a lot of them didnt even know about the jews thing), they thought they were fighting for a better life, thats all they wanted.

Yes I think they should, free speech and all. Everyone wants free speech and the right to worship whoever and do whatever within the law but they dislike people practicing their beliefs? Wut.

a lot of people only agree with freedom of speech when they agree with what is being said.

Jessicrawrr
23-08-2010, 04:48 PM
if they're doing it in different countries then no, in they're own country then why not.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!