PDA

View Full Version : poll for countries?

AgnesIO
23-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I was just wondering, and I am sure some people will cry over this, but could a poll be made in a forced to view thread, asking what hotel members originated from?

Not only do I think this would be interesting to see, but also beneficial to habbox, so you can see how big your target group really is.

I know some people will hate this, afterall being forced to view a thread is the end of the world, but just thought it would be good to see :)

Jamesy
23-08-2010, 12:02 AM
we could simply use the people who have applied for various country badges and get data out of that without causing disruption. Don't know if it would be any less or more representative than a poll.

Shar
23-08-2010, 12:02 AM
What if when they signed up there should be a poll asking what country they originated from and then get the award badge thing

Casanova
23-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I agree. And include age in it. Because you seem to be ignoring the majority of us a lot of the time.

I think it would mean you may adapt things so it suits us users better, and also means we're not being treated like a child with some of the competitions.

Hecktix
23-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree. And include age in it. Because you seem to be ignoring the majority of us a lot of the time.

I think it would mean you may adapt things so it suits us users better, and also means we're not being treated like a child with some of the competitions.

There was an age demographic poll about 2 months ago and over 50% of this forum are under 16.

I think Jamesy is more on it really, use the group requests as it won't cause any disruption, force read threads aren't something we do anymore and at the moment it's not possible and I don't think it should be.

GoldenMerc
23-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Or you could go to Awstats and see what country there from ;)!

Jamesy
23-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Or you could go to Awstats and see what country there from ;)!

From the looks of it we can't access Awstats, something Jin must have but we don't have access to.

GoldenMerc
23-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Looks like thats not on the agenda unless Jin allows it.

nvrspk4
23-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Awstats is accessible from CPanel is it not?

Apolva
23-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Just use the location of the IP?

Jamesy
23-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Awstats is accessible from CPanel is it not?

I can't see it on the one I've got access to. Anyway, I fear we may be overthinking this somewhat - is it not supposed to be just a rough guide than an exact count of every visitor and / or passing spambot?

Mikey
23-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I completely agree, there should be a poll on HabboxForum which shows what countries users are forum. :)

AgnesIO
23-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I completely agree, there should be a poll on HabboxForum which shows what countries users are forum. :)
If not a poll, then something at least.

I mean if we are getting a low amount of non-english people, then that indicates that we need more non-english event organisers etcetera, and if we get a high amount of non-english people we need even more non-english event organisers to keep us popular.

KebabJuice
23-08-2010, 01:46 PM
It would be a great way to find out who actually uses the forum and where there location is ;)

HotelUser
24-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I can't see it on the one I've got access to. Anyway, I fear we may be overthinking this somewhat - is it not supposed to be just a rough guide than an exact count of every visitor and / or passing spambot?

Alternative to awstats if we wanted to find out this information couldn't we add a small script to the forum to log which country the user is in based off IP? Seems straightforward enough :P

Mathew
24-08-2010, 03:49 AM
There was an age demographic poll about 2 months ago and over 50% of this forum are under 16.
That means 50% of the forum is over 16 too - I think that is quite a lot actually.. :O

I mean if we are getting a low amount of non-english people, then that indicates that we need more non-english event organisers etcetera, and if we get a high amount of non-english people we need even more non-english event organisers to keep us popular.
So basically, we need "more non-english event organisers"? Both to attract them and to keep them :)
I agree fully, I think there's only Dave who lives out of the UK :rolleyes:

nvrspk4
24-08-2010, 04:16 AM
If we're worried about this in terms of events, I would think logging the site's users would be much more effective than logging the forum's users.

More site users use Habbo than forum users, and there are many site users who don't use the forum and vice versa. If we're worrying about our on-Habbo or HabboxLive presence, recording forum stats would be going after the wrong demographic.

FlyingJesus
24-08-2010, 06:11 AM
we could simply use the people who have applied for various country badges and get data out of that without causing disruption. Don't know if it would be any less or more representative than a poll.

As far as I can remember I never applied for the country badge (as I only wanted the fabulous ones) and I know that plenty of other active members also decided to follow such a path. Not an attack on you as I know you to generally be an incredible asset to Hx, I just don't think looking at country flag awards would show much at this point in time

Really? I'm one of the oldest members here to my knowledge and I don't feel belittled or ignored. This isn't really a necessary point to bring up in this thread as far as I can see, but even if it were I don't feel it would be a valid argument.

Alternative to awstats if we wanted to find out this information couldn't we add a small script to the forum to log which country the user is in based off IP? Seems straightforward enough :P

I can't claim to know much of technical matters, but I'd assume that putting a poll on the forum (in which anyone who feels they might actually be effected by the results) would be both easier and more effective, especially considering how so many folks these days hide or at least attempt to hide their internet activity and so may well add incorrect data to such a script.

If we're worried about this in terms of events, I would think logging the site's users would be much more effective than logging the forum's users.

Nigella's right again, if you do decide to log user activity rather than ask current users through a poll, Hx users in general would be a far more useful demographic to find out than HxF specifically. Again, I'm not much of a technical guy so not sure what can and can't be done, but if a poll can be put on the main site without it being abused that might well be the best way to work out some useful numbers, as obviously those who are most interested (and therefore probably more active on the site) will be the ones to vote on it

HotelUser
24-08-2010, 04:56 PM
A poll would be easier for sure, I meant that if it was too much of an annoyance it might be worth while putting a script on to do it which we could keep on and continue to track throughout a longer period of time where as we would have to repost a poll. You're right about people spoofing their location though although I'm not sure how many people browse the forums incognito :P

As far as I can remember I never applied for the country badge (as I only wanted the fabulous ones) and I know that plenty of other active members also decided to follow such a path. Not an attack on you as I know you to generally be an incredible asset to Hx, I just don't think looking at country flag awards would show much at this point in time

Really? I'm one of the oldest members here to my knowledge and I don't feel belittled or ignored. This isn't really a necessary point to bring up in this thread as far as I can see, but even if it were I don't feel it would be a valid argument.

I can't claim to know much of technical matters, but I'd assume that putting a poll on the forum (in which anyone who feels they might actually be effected by the results) would be both easier and more effective, especially considering how so many folks these days hide or at least attempt to hide their internet activity and so may well add incorrect data to such a script.

Nigella's right again, if you do decide to log user activity rather than ask current users through a poll, Hx users in general would be a far more useful demographic to find out than HxF specifically. Again, I'm not much of a technical guy so not sure what can and can't be done, but if a poll can be put on the main site without it being abused that might well be the best way to work out some useful numbers, as obviously those who are most interested (and therefore probably more active on the site) will be the ones to vote on it

Special
24-08-2010, 05:03 PM
do a poll

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!