Casio
24-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Why does everyone bum it so much?

AgnesIO
24-08-2010, 11:09 PM
last time i checkedit was people bummingiphone lol

Recursion
24-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Because it isn't locked down by a company who doesn't like you using your device for what YOU want to use it for.

I can customise my Android phone however much I like, it's like jailbreaking iOS but 100x better with an almost unrestricted Application Market.

Oh, did I mention, "It just works"? ;)

Apple
24-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Why does everyone bum it so much?

Because if you are the technical minded you can do all kinds of hacks and tricks, basically anything you like. Unlike the iPhone of course but lets not create a war here.

Markeh
25-08-2010, 07:28 AM
I just think Android is the way forward. Hence why my new handset coming tomorrow is an Android one.

MrPinkPanther
25-08-2010, 07:37 AM
People seem to think that Apple are a bunch of fascists that lock down their device for fun. Their approval process is a lot more transparent than it was and they accept almost all applications the first time around and when they reject them it IS with valid reason. This prevents the spread of viruses on the iPhone, I can download any app off of the Appstore knowing I'm completely safe and that it will run on my hardware for sure. One of the main criticisms of Apple that people have on here is in their updates and that they dropped the iPhone 2G. All I can say to that is that Android 2.2 is coming out almost exclusively to devices that have been released this year. Apple drops a 3 year old device and Android fans get angry but when a device thats 8 Months old is dropped they don't care.

Casio
25-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Not saying I don't like Andriod don't get me wrong but it seems to be like another iPhone, It's come about way to quickly.

AgnesIO
25-08-2010, 09:17 AM
People seem to think that Apple are a bunch of fascists that lock down their device for fun. Their approval process is a lot more transparent than it was and they accept almost all applications the first time around and when they reject them it IS with valid reason. This prevents the spread of viruses on the iPhone, I can download any app off of the Appstore knowing I'm completely safe and that it will run on my hardware for sure. One of the main criticisms of Apple that people have on here is in their updates and that they dropped the iPhone 2G. All I can say to that is that Android 2.2 is coming out almost exclusively to devices that have been released this year. Apple drops a 3 year old device and Android fans get angry but when a device thats 8 Months old is dropped they don't care.

I have downloaded hundreds of androids apps and never had a virus.

EDIT: Way to quickly? The difference is, where Android has got is far further than the iPhone.

Casio
25-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I think he means potentially you can get a virus, whereas with the iPhone Apple rescrits apps therefore you can't get any sort of virus's unless you jailbreak.

AgnesIO
25-08-2010, 09:21 AM
I think he means potentially you can get a virus, whereas with the iPhone Apple rescrits apps therefore you can't get any sort of virus's unless you jailbreak.

So he is bumming Apple, because of the POTENTIAL of getting a virus is gone. Millions of people still use windows, you can get viruses on that. (And some of osx ;))

GommeInc
25-08-2010, 10:21 AM
That's Apple, the only company to create iPhones AND run the OS. The reason Android doesn't appear on older devices is because of the carrier and the company who created the device. Android can still run on older devices, you just have to install it yourself (with a tiny challenge). Notice how it isn't Google/Android in charge of what device it is installed on.

Recursion
25-08-2010, 11:07 AM

First off, Android 2.2 is NOT exclusive to 2010 phones, and if it was, I could get Android 2.2 on my G1 (a 2008 phone) thanks to Android's open platform, XDA-Developers always find a way to port the latest Android build.
Second of all, viruses? Google provide adequate protection (i.e. the installer TELLS the user what the Application can do and the user has to physically press the Install button to accept the permissions they are giving to the Application).

Oh and just for the record, as GommeInc said, it's not Google who is responsible for updating phones, it is the manufacturer, Google just provides the base Android system and Google Apps package.

Example, why does this Background application need my coarse location? It doesn't, so I wont install it.

http://www.skitch.*****.co.uk/CAP201008251208.jpg

Robbie
25-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I would be very concerned if somebody was attempting to "bum" a mobile operating system.

It's available on a large range of phones in all price ranges..

HotelUser
25-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Bum it? Heck, everyone here seems to worship it :P

Casio
25-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Bum it? Heck, everyone here seems to worship it :P

Thank You lol I'm not diagreeing with them but I was wondering WHY everyone does.

GommeInc
26-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Thank You lol I'm not diagreeing with them but I was wondering WHY everyone does.
I wouldn't go to the extreme to say we like the bum sex with Android or worship it like a demi-god, but there are reasons as it is a very good OS for one that gets little media attention other than "it comes with Android!" in adverts. In comparison to the competition, it wipes the floor with them in terms of power to hardware ratio, with "slow" phones being able to handle it plus what comes with it. I think Android also brought in HD video recording in one of the OS updates, before iOS 4 came out with it, but only on a few devices that so happened to be around when the new Android OS came into existence.

HotelUser
27-08-2010, 09:44 PM

It's open source availability means customization to the extreme. We blow our Winmo kitchens out of the water with our android counterparts.

Multitasking and flash support are also two big pro Android traits for me. The UI I prefer over an iOS interface as well, having my widgets and whatnot.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!