PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying an m11X

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:23 AM
In january im buy muhself a m11x alienware laptopity thingabobity.

Now, What i was is what processor, gpu n stoof i should get.

Limit is £1000 btw yah.

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Get a Desktop.

Go on.

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:29 AM
I have a desktop. Boppityboopitybip

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Then why do you want an Alienware laptop? I assume for gaming, yes?

You realise the battery will last 1 hour at most.

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:32 AM
School work, Portable WoW. Things unconcievable to the average breyn

Just to put out there. The m11x has a battery life of around 6 hours if im corect

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Then get a normal laptop. No need to spend more than 450-500

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:34 AM
i have a normal laptop. I dont want a normal laptop...

/thread.

Pointless excersise was.. pointless

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I guess you want to take it to school and show it off to everyone then? As far as I can see that's the only reason to get one if you already have a laptop...

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Well ill explain things to you in a way i find them...

My Desktop will be used for everything, My laptop is broken and this will be my new laptop which i can use for portable gaming/internet use.

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Just get the cheapest Alienware then. That way you will waste less money. Spend the rest on upgrading your desktop.

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:46 AM
the m11x is the cheapest. jeez. Upgrading my desktop comes when it needs to.

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Well looks like this thread has come to an end then. That was informative. Get the mx11.

Oleh
27-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Lol Much?

Glopy
27-08-2010, 02:03 AM
there was a nice laptop at i think del, for £199 really cheap. bummer tbh i payed more for my netbook ;( but its good,, check it out i saw it on a advert

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:16 AM
there was a nice laptop at i think del, for £199 really cheap. bummer tbh i payed more for my netbook ;( but its good,, check it out i saw it on a advert

A 199 dell ain't gonna fulfill his needs lol. And go with the m11x if it's the cheapest.

Recursion
27-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I see Alex use an M11x on Diggnation and it does look nice, just not sure so much on the price tag it being Alienware will have slapped on ;)

Apple
27-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I see Alex use an M11x on Diggnation and it does look nice, just not sure so much on the price tag it being Alienware will have slapped on ;)

You have a massive pet hate of any technology that is even mildly expensive. :P

It's obviously going to cost alot for a laptop that has gaming abilities which are better than the average computer, you are not only paying for the high end technology itself but also for it to be compact. You aren't going to have much fun gaming on a 199 dell like already suggested which I think may of been a troll post, you really do get what you pay for. Please don't say something like "you can still get all the same for much cheaper if you build the computer yourself" but so what. If you wanted a £15,000 kit car you could buy it in bits and build it yourself, this usually saves you around £2000 which would price it at £13,000 instead so my point is it's just common knowledge that choosing to build it yourself saves you money. Might be true you are also paying partially for the brand but that's life and why you can go out and buy some trainers for £3 and some for £100.

Recursion
27-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't have a problem with expensive technology, it's just you're paying for a brand with Apple or Alienware. As weird as it may seem, I do indeed own a MacBook lol.

I see where you're coming from with the Car analogy but, in the Technological world, you get what you pay for up to a point. After this, it's just a greedy company making money off the uninformed. It seems you can slap "Apple" "Alienware" "Gaming" or "Performance" before a name and it immediately bumps the price up at least £200. Whilst, yes, building it your self can save some money, you don't have to, you could get a perfectly good Dell laptop, not marketed as "Gaming" but will play exactly the same games at the same performance as the Alienware and save a couple of hundred quid at the same time, or even spend that extra couple of hundred on something else or upgrade the laptop again.

There's no need for it.

N!ck
27-08-2010, 11:32 AM
You have a massive pet hate of any technology that is even mildly expensive. :P

It's obviously going to cost alot for a laptop that has gaming abilities which are better than the average computer, you are not only paying for the high end technology itself but also for it to be compact. You aren't going to have much fun gaming on a 199 dell like already suggested which I think may of been a troll post, you really do get what you pay for. Please don't say something like "you can still get all the same for much cheaper if you build the computer yourself" but so what. If you wanted a £15,000 kit car you could buy it in bits and build it yourself, this usually saves you around £2000 which would price it at £13,000 instead so my point is it's just common knowledge that choosing to build it yourself saves you money. Might be true you are also paying partially for the brand but that's life and why you can go out and buy some trainers for £3 and some for £100.

You know the "Apple tax"? You're paying a lot more just because it's Apple.

The "Alienware tax" is about 10x worse.

Apple
27-08-2010, 12:19 PM
You know the "Apple tax"? You're paying a lot more just because it's Apple.

The "Alienware tax" is about 10x worse.

I never thought I'd come across a tax that I actually like!

I remember looking at some Alienware PC's, they looked wicked and had some of the best specs I'd seen.

Recursion
27-08-2010, 12:26 PM

I remember looking at some Alienware PC's, they looked wicked and had some of the best specs I'd seen.

The best specs at the worst price, yes.

N!ck
27-08-2010, 12:43 PM

You could custom build better for about a third of the price ;).

Apple
27-08-2010, 12:46 PM
You could custom build better for about a third of the price ;).

So would it be possible for me to sell my mac and custom build a much better computer that runs OS X? I have seen threads were complete novices have built their own computer so maybe I could do it myself.

N!ck
27-08-2010, 12:55 PM
So would it be possible for me to sell my mac and custom build a much better computer that runs OS X? I have seen threads were complete novices have built their own computer so maybe I could do it myself.

I wouldn't advise it. It can be done, but I would only run OS X on Mac hardware.

Recursion
27-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Selling your Mac would be the best thing you've ever done (unless it's your secondary computer), ask xxMattGxx, he did ;)

Oleh
27-08-2010, 02:13 PM
To be honest i there is 3 reasons i want one - They look better than every laptop ive seen, Faster than every laptop ive seen for the size, practical size for what i need it for

Apple
27-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't advise it. It can be done, but I would only run OS X on Mac hardware.
That is the thing I do not understand with Mac's. You can run both windows and OS X on a Mac system but you can't on a Windows system such as dell. Is it hard to explain why this is? If so I think I'll pass. :P

Selling your Mac would be the best thing you've ever done (unless it's your secondary computer), ask xxMattGxx, he did ;)

That would seem rather odd as buying a Mac was the best thing I've ever done yet. :P

N!ck
27-08-2010, 05:51 PM
That is the thing I do not understand with Mac's. You can run both windows and OS X on a Mac system but you can't on a Windows system such as dell. Is it hard to explain why this is? If so I think I'll pass. :P

That would seem rather odd as buying a Mac was the best thing I've ever done yet. :P

Windows is sold on lots of different hardware, so designed to run on pretty much anything.

OS X is only sold on Apple hardware, and they purposefully make it so that it's difficult to run it on anything else to stop people doing what you suggested.

Recursion
27-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Surely the fact that Microsoft allows you to install Windows on a Mac, but Apple doesn't let you install OS X on a PC, just shows how much better MS are? ;)

Apple
27-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Surely the fact that Microsoft allows you to install Windows on a Mac, but Apple doesn't let you install OS X on a PC, just shows how much better MS are? ;)

You can look at that point in many different ways, how about Mac is much more proud of their operating system and they only think their own products are good enough for it, however MS are just money hungry and want to sell to a wider audience. ;)

Recursion
27-08-2010, 08:59 PM
You can look at that point in many different ways, how about Mac* is much more proud of their operating system and they only think their own products are good enough for it, however MS are just money hungry and want to sell to a wider audience. ;)

* Should be Apple.

I made my reply with the bold bits!! :P

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Lol I have to agree, that does sound a lot more like Apple than MS.

Then again, I have no problem with that. The top priority for any profit business should be making money. If charging £1000 for £350 worth of hardware works for them, then they should continue to do so.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!