PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading iMac's

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:20 AM
So is it possible? Never really hear people talking about it so that is why I ask. To be more informative, I am considering upgrading to an i7. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost and also would it be difficult to install?

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 03:35 AM
What CPU do you have now? If it's S775 then you will need to buy a new motherboard and probably new RAM. If this is the case it will won't work.

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:38 AM
What CPU do you have now? If it's S775 then you will need to buy a new motherboard and probably new RAM. If this is the case it will won't work.
Core 2 duo 3.2ghz I think.

Stephen!
27-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Then it's impossible without buying a new Mac.

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Then it's impossible without buying a new Mac.
:[ It can't be impossible can it? Surely there is a way around it, just unrealistic?

What is mine actually like compared to the new range of 27"s with the i3/i5/i7 processors anyway? It still seems really fast like the day I bought it, just wanted to make it even more futureproof.

Recursion
27-08-2010, 07:53 AM
They use laptop hardware in iMacs, to make it work you would first have to have a motherboard that supported i7 in there anyway (which you don't seeing as you're on Core2Duo) and then you'd have to learn some 1337 soldering skills, and then you'd have to buy new DDR3 RAM :)

See why I like home built PCs that actually have some wires coming out the back? LOL

Apple
27-08-2010, 10:27 AM
They use laptop hardware in iMacs, to make it work you would first have to have a motherboard that supported i7 in there anyway (which you don't seeing as you're on Core2Duo) and then you'd have to learn some 1337 soldering skills, and then you'd have to buy new DDR3 RAM :)

See why I like home built PCs that actually have some wires coming out the back? LOL

Ha lol, that sucks then. If it was possible I probably wouldn't be doing it myself, I'd get all the parts but ask a friend to do it who built his own computer. Just out of curiosity are the Mac Pro's more easy to upgrade/customise?

Recursion
27-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Mac Pros are overpriced, over engineered desktop machines, so yes. :)

Apple
27-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Mac Pro's own! :P

I ask this because when we replace the big tv downstairs I should be able to have it, then I could sell my mac and buy a mac pro and I will also have a much bigger tv to go with it for free. Sounds like an idea and a half but it just depends how much I can get for my mac and how much I will need to add to buy a mac pro. So if the mac pro's really are easily customised I'll buy a base model and do the upgrades myself saving money.

HotelUser
27-08-2010, 02:55 PM
:[ It can't be impossible can it? Surely there is a way around it, just unrealistic?

What is mine actually like compared to the new range of 27"s with the i3/i5/i7 processors anyway? It still seems really fast like the day I bought it, just wanted to make it even more futureproof.

My 2.4Ghz 2007 iMac is just as fast when I bought it back then too. I don't see any reason for me to get a new one :P

They're not horribly over priced in North America really.

AgnesIO
27-08-2010, 03:19 PM
My 2.4Ghz 2007 iMac is just as fast when I bought it back then too. I don't see any reason for me to get a new one :P

Bottom bit is correct. Move to the UK though, and they are ludicrous.

And no offense Apple, however do you really think Apple would sell iMac's wanting users to be able to make them future proof? :P

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Yeh they just never seem to lose any performance, mine seriously is still lightening fast like the day I bought it. I only want to upgrade a few things for better gaming and more futureproof.

Bottom bit is correct. Move to the UK though, and they are ludicrous.

And no offense Apple, however do you really think Apple would sell iMac's wanting users to be able to make them future proof? :P

Suppose so but I thought it was just as simple as taking out and inserting a new processor. My knowledge of internal computer components is incredibly low, I'd have to look into my computer info if you asked me what graphics card I have lol, well I'm pretty sure it's an ATI just no clue what number.

AgnesIO
27-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeh they just never seem to lose any performance, mine seriously is still lightening fast like the day I bought it. I only want to upgrade a few things for better gaming and more futureproof.

Suppose so but I thought it was just as simple as taking out and inserting a new processor. My knowledge of internal computer components is incredibly low, I'd have to look into my computer info if you asked me what graphics card I have lol, well I'm pretty sure it's an ATI just no clue what number.

Well with box like computers it is quite easy (normally, if the company hasn't stuck the components in), but remember iMac's are pretty much laptops when it come to components. And it is much easier to change bits in a desktop than a laptop :L

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Well with box like computers it is quite easy (normally, if the company hasn't stuck the components in), but remember iMac's are pretty much laptops when it come to components. And it is much easier to change bits in a desktop than a laptop :L

Ha you right yeh. When I first saw an iMac I asked where the tower was, with the screen being so thin I just assumed it was a monitor. Probably another reason macs are known to be pretty expensive, the parts in them are almost like laptop parts so you are paying for it to be compact as well. That would explain a lot...

AgnesIO
27-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Ha you right yeh. When I first saw an iMac I asked where the tower was, with the screen being so thin I just assumed it was a monitor. Probably another reason macs are known to be pretty expensive, the parts in them are almost like laptop parts so you are paying for it to be compact as well. That would explain a lot...

Well, you could build a laptop (windows albeit) with what the core2duo macs used to have for at least half the price lol. It's all the brand, but then well done to apple for getting such a big brand

Recursion
27-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, the problem with these overpriced desktop machines are that generally they get the latest hardware... a year after the release of said hardware... when they are old and have been replaced... LOL.

Apple
27-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the problem with these overpriced desktop machines are that generally they get the latest hardware... a year after the release of said hardware... when they are old and have been replaced... LOL.

Guess it's just a fact of life, technology is moving ever so fast all the time. I guess with computers the best way to stay protected from this cruel fact is to have a custom build. Then all you have to do is replace a part instead of being stuck with an outdated computer. But I wouldn't exactly say mine is slow and outdated, it is as fast as lightening. :P

Jahova
27-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Custom build. Cheap and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside :D

Johno
27-08-2010, 04:29 PM
It's possible to upgrade the RAM and the HDD I think, not entirely sure. Have a look on www.iFixit.com and you should be able to see guides to take it to parts and replace things that arent easy :P

Apple
27-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Custom build. Cheap and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside :D

I'd love that feeling of accomplishment. In fact if it was possible to buy a really cheap basic set of computer parts that just needs building into a computer, I'd probably buy it for the practise and the feeling of accomplishment. If I was able to do it I'd probably then spend some real cash and build a mint computer, would miss my OS X though. :(

Johno
27-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd love that feeling of accomplishment. In fact if it was possible to buy a really cheap basic set of computer parts that just needs building into a computer, I'd probably buy it for the practise and the feeling of accomplishment. If I was able to do it I'd probably then spend some real cash and build a mint computer, would miss my OS X though. :(

You could always though have a seperate partition for hackintosh on your Windows machine. It's not the same, but it's still an alright alternative.

Apple
27-08-2010, 06:26 PM
You could always though have a seperate partition for hackintosh on your Windows machine. It's not the same, but it's still an alright alternative.

Urgh Hackintosh, was banned twice on 2 separate mac forums for discussing that. :l

And I'd rather have windows 7 than hackintosh.

HotelUser
27-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Urgh Hackintosh, was banned twice on 2 separate mac forums for discussing that. :l

And I'd rather have windows 7 than hackintosh.

I did the hackintosh thing on my netbook.

Worked well, until the netbook broke :P

Unfortunately a lot of Apple sites don't like the H word--I would love to turn my quad into one but unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start now.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!