PDA

View Full Version : Is this a geeky ?

Narnat,
27-08-2010, 10:36 PM
There is this thing going on at my school called the eco group. But only nerds really join up for it. It's like were you plant some stuff around the school and help keep it maintained eco-wise. I really do want to do it because it looks really good on a CV. But my friends would take the absolute mick outa me .. what do you guys think ?

buttons
27-08-2010, 10:41 PM
cv & career > friends (unless you can use them as stepping stones)
just do it if you want to

Nemo
27-08-2010, 10:42 PM
who cares about ur friends when it comes down to having a better chance at a job. go for it.

AgnesIO
28-08-2010, 04:28 PM
If your friends mock you then they are not friends.

Would you rather they tried to be funny for a few weeks, or help your career? :)

I know what I would choose, will you?

Alex3213
28-08-2010, 04:32 PM
If your friends mock you then they are not friends.

Would you rather they tried to be funny for a few weeks, or help your career? :)

I know what I would choose, will you?

This sums it up really. It helps you in the long-term, if they're gonna mock you then I would hardly classify them as friends.

AlexOC
28-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I can imagine why you are scared, if somebody at my school signed up for it we would rip the piss out of him.

You should definitely do it though, bit of stick is worth it, as you said, something voluntary like that would look good on your records.

luce
28-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd say just do it? I would join anything at school if it gave me a better change of getting into Uni or getting a job? You'll be the one laughing if it gets you the job ahead of one of them. Just explain to them why you're doing it and if they really are your mates they will understand :-)

Jordy
28-08-2010, 05:05 PM
If I'm honest it's not going to help on your CV so to put things into perspective, it's probably not worth bothering with. You'll get into sixth form/college without this on your CV and any jobs you'll do before University won't require much on your CV what-so-ever. And after university it's just going to look ridiculous on your CV so no I wouldn't bother.

luce
28-08-2010, 05:07 PM
If I'm honest it's not going to help on your CV so to put things into perspective, it's probably not worth bothering with. You'll get into sixth form/college without this on your CV and any jobs you'll do before University won't require much on your CV what-so-ever. And after university it's just going to look ridiculous on your CV so no I wouldn't bother.

there is that, but i thought that if he thinks it will maybe he's going for a job or something like this? Personally i don't think that clubs should go on CVS anyone can join a club whether they're good at the activity or not :P

Alex3213
28-08-2010, 05:08 PM
there is that, but i thought that if he thinks it will maybe he's going for a job or something like this? Personally i don't think that clubs should go on CVS anyone can join a club whether they're good at the activity or not :P

Well yeah I agree with this but depending on the area you want to be in it could actually be rather beneficial. Although anyone can join a club, if the dedication level is high I'm sure it would be recognised etc.

kuzkasate
28-08-2010, 06:44 PM
lol same thing happened at my school, only geeks went, then non-geeks went, and then everyone stopped taking the piss.
im sure you can keep it quiet for a bit lol and if your friends say anything then tell them otherwise

beth
28-08-2010, 07:00 PM
seriously **** what yr friends think. in all honesty, give it a couple of years and you won't even speak to them anymore. despite what you say when you leave school.

The Don
28-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I was part of my schools eco group to get out of lessons lol. It was alright though.

-:Undertaker:-
31-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I like gardening regardless of groups - but my school wouldn't do anything like that anyway. It is entirely upto you and depends on what your school is like - if your friends do take the piss then take the piss back on them for something they've done in the past.

GommeInc
01-09-2010, 01:19 AM
If it's something you're interested in then go for it :) It sounds like a fun idea anyway, and would make the school a bit more appealing and make you feel fulfilled when it works out well. Are your friends not interested in that sort of thing? You could suggest getting them to join in, as it would be a group activity to do once in a while. If not, then just treat it as you would a hobby.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!