PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Lanterns

Calvin
28-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey,
I was just out going to the shop with a few friends and on the way we saw a chinese lantern, and then on the way back it was right above our heads, so we could see it fully. I think their chinese lanterns anyway, they look like this:
http://skylanterns.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/white-sky-lantern.jpg

They've been around here quite a lot in the nights recently, was just wondering who does them, just general people or a certain group? And what are they for, just interesting views?

Thanks!

dogboy123
28-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I think people just buy them and set them off because they look pretty and romantic. A novelty really :)

Calvin
28-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I think people just buy them and set them off because they look pretty and romantic. A novelty really :)Yeah, I gotta admit they do look quite nice. Their quite a good view, I tried to take a picture with my phone camera but it was rubbish. But I suppose it was ruined when it started raining, it was picking when we was walking back. :(

AlexOC
28-08-2010, 09:09 PM
We let about 15 off on new years from my garden. They looked really good, i burnt myself tho

Arron
28-08-2010, 09:23 PM
These are called Sky Lanterns. It just adds that extra effect to places like parties, as Alex said he let 15 or so let go at New Years Eve. You will see the sparkle for around 15-20 minutes as it increases into the air, it may travel a few miles and can reach up to 1,000 feet in altitude. Once the flame blows out, they return to the surface safe and sound :)

Technologic
28-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I love how people are allowed to litter like this.

AlexOC
28-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Remember kids do not use these if you are in a 1 mile radius of a major airport!

Robbinz
28-08-2010, 09:45 PM
they last for about 20 minutes they sell them at some corner shops

Calvin
28-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Ah, thanks for the replies guys. :) Wouldn't mind buying one to try it out now! I'm supposing most shops will sell them around bonfire night mainly too? And how do they go up in the air, like a firework but slowly kind of thing?

edit: Just seen you hold them then just let go and they fly up, interesting! :P And most are about £2.99 right?

Cheryl
28-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Ah, thanks for the replies guys. :) Wouldn't mind buying one to try it out now! I'm supposing most shops will sell them around bonfire night mainly too? And how do they go up in the air, like a firework but slowly kind of thing?

edit: Just seen you hold them then just let go and they fly up, interesting! :P And most are about £2.99 right?

yeah we bought loads from the local shop for £2.99 :)

AlexOC
28-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Yeah its like a piece of cardboard, covered in something that burns slowly. You set it alight, wait like half a minute for it to fill with hot air then just let it rise out of your hand.

Arron
28-08-2010, 10:53 PM
technology these days ey

Jordy
29-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Apparently they're terrible for the environment, someone suggested bringing some to a party and got a lecture from environmentalists. As well as parties they're also common at music festivals, particularly towards the end.

Recursion
29-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Apparently they're terrible for the environment, someone suggested bringing some to a party and got a lecture from environmentalists. As well as parties they're also common at music festivals, particularly towards the end.

**** the environmentalists.

Sounded so good to say in my head :8

alexxxxx
29-08-2010, 11:40 PM
they should be banned tbh. we had one land in our back garden.

dogboy123
30-08-2010, 08:23 PM
also coastguards have been like pissed off becuase when theyre let off near the sae, they mistake them for flares

Narnat,
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I think people just buy them for the fun of it. and to create and atmosphere my family bought them for a wedding which really made it look pretty.

-:Undertaker:-
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I have two of the large paper lanterns hanging up in my room - suits the room with the beams.

Edit: Oh, think I got the wrong end of the stick here, but anyway.

they should be banned tbh. we had one land in our back garden.

You really think police/government should be regulating flying paper lanterns? :P

9y
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

I've seen em in town for 99p.

x

Sharon
03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Basically their used during main events ie. New Year or Weddings. We set of like hundreds during a wedding :)

Oleh
03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
My nan wont let us buy any because they kill cows....

Calvin
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I've seen em in town for 99p.

xOh, could find 'em cheaper I suppose. :P The weather is lovely and would be a great view, just saw two going past when I was out just a minute ago.

Sharon
03-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh, could find 'em cheaper I suppose. :P The weather is lovely and would be a great view, just saw two going past when I was out just a minute ago.

Ofcourse you can, if you go to a tourist attraction you'll see them at 3.99. If you go to a Chinese Market you'll see it amazing cheap. I once bought a fish for £10 as in a fish lantern trying to rig a lantern competition. Still didn't win tho ;l

Thom96
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I love them , i buy like 20 from the pound shop and set them off all together , they look amazing !

Calvin
10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Woo, the stalls and fair are in town and saw them but you have to be 18.. :S Gonna get my mum to get them tommorow! Hopefully it's nice!

Gibs960
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Pound shop sells them I think, me and my mum saw 1 last week, we thought it was a UFO :D

Cheryl
11-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Pound shop sells them I think, me and my mum saw 1 last week, we thought it was a UFO :D

wow, you and your mum must be real smart

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!