PDA

View Full Version : Sticky open applications.

Phil
29-08-2010, 11:42 PM
When applications for a department open would it not be an idea to sticky so if someone looking for a job at Habbox they would be found easier in the Habbox Announcements than having to scroll down and possibly to the next page to look for open applications?

Jordan
29-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Agreed, I was actually looking for stuff like that earlier. I think it would help.

Sarah
30-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I know that they are bumped by management (and the department management) so that they appear nearer to the top when there has been a lot of announcements. Its less hassle than sticking and unsticking a thread.

Dean
30-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I know that they are bumped by management (and the department management) so that they appear nearer to the top when there has been a lot of announcements. Its less hassle than sticking and unsticking a thread.

How much hassle are we talking?

Phil
30-08-2010, 12:12 AM

All you need to do is tick a small box > moderation tools > sticky thread? It's not much hassle at all, you just need to do that when they're are open and do the same again when the applications close.

Dinosaurawrr
30-08-2010, 12:19 AM
why not have a subforum for appliccations?
that way if someone wants to go for a job then they can just go to the specific subforum and look? :}

Dean
30-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Sub forum is good and sticky is good.

Phil
30-08-2010, 12:22 AM
But would there be enough applications at a time that'd need a sub-forum?

Alkaz
30-08-2010, 12:23 AM
There is/was a forum for job applications so someone along the way thought that it was a good idea. I guess the next best thing would be a sub-forum which personally sounds like a brilliant idea to me, it would also be a lot easier when people ask about job applications around the forum, on Habbo and in HxHD because you would be able to direct them to one central place where they all are.

scottish
30-08-2010, 12:30 AM
subforum would be pointless coz if no apps are open then the forum is absolutely no use

stickying is fine and it requires next to 0 effort and shows clearly at the top so.

Phil
30-08-2010, 12:31 AM
subforum would be pointless coz if no apps are open then the forum is absolutely no use

stickying is fine and it requires next to 0 effort and shows clearly at the top so.

This is what I thought because it isn't often there more than two or three applications open at once.

Sarah
30-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Ok maybe its not hassle, but I can't see anything wrong with the current system of just bumping the thread. I think a sub-forum would just make it look messy.. but that's just me! :)

Phil
30-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Well to bump the thread they have to go on every few days and go "Still open" or whatever which in my opinion looks pretty untidy on a official application. One reply saying "Applications close tomorrow" or whatever are fine but when they're stickied it won't be necessary to do any except the final one saying "Applications close tomorrow"

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I'm falling asleep here =.=

Posts merged by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Double post caused by Forum Lag.

HotelUser
30-08-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree with applications being stickied, or, a separate forum being created for them. Simply because 1. bumping my application posts so they stay on page one gets annoying especially when I forget to :P, and two, a lot of people are interested in jobs at Habbox and find it confusing chasing threads here and there. A lot of questions in the Help Desk revolve around Habbox recruitment and I would love to be able to redirect them to a neat and tidy subforum of applications available.

If we used a subforum, a site coder could make an automatic updating job applications script on Habbox.com

Phil
30-08-2010, 12:50 AM
I agree with applications being stickied, or, a separate forum being created for them. Simply because 1. bumping my application posts so they stay on page one gets annoying especially when I forget to :P, and two, a lot of people are interested in jobs at Habbox and find it confusing chasing threads here and there. A lot of questions in the Help Desk revolve around Habbox recruitment and I would love to be able to redirect them to a neat and tidy subforum of applications available.

If we used a subforum, a site coder could make an automatic updating job applications script on Habbox.com

THIS! So many questions about the recruitment, it was this that made me post the feedback thread. Someone was looking for the Moderator Applications and couldn't for the life of them find the thread!

Dinosaurawrr
30-08-2010, 12:50 AM
also it will b easy to redirect them as said
no they wont be many at first but then its all applications in one forum and there always there for refrence so users can possibly check back and see the specific requirements of a certain department and this allowws them to be ready for when applications are next open

if that makes sence

Calvin
30-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Why not have a tab on the top by Habbox/HabboxLive/Competitions saying Job Openings?

Phil
30-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Why not have a tab on the top by Habbox/HabboxLive/Competitions saying Job Openings?

There's one of those on habbox.com but it doesn't seem to be updated but keeping that udated could also work. Imho I don't think it'll be big enough for a tab but it would be alot more noticeable and get more applications.

Sarah
30-08-2010, 01:16 AM
There's one of those on habbox.com but it doesn't seem to be updated but keeping that udated could also work. Imho I don't think it'll be big enough for a tab but it would be alot more noticeable and get more applications.

I mean this could just be updated more regularly than creating a new sub-forum that would be pointless/empty if there are no applications open.

Phil
30-08-2010, 01:19 AM
I mean this could just be updated more regularly than creating a new sub-forum that would be pointless/empty if there are no applications open.

Exactly, the page on habbox.com under Job Openings looks great but it's just not updated and it would be great if it was, threads were stickied or a sub-forum was added.

HotelUser
30-08-2010, 01:21 AM

That's a good point, or it would be misleading once applications for the specific apartment have closed and the thread remains. I suppose that could be fixed by simply purging applications which have closed.

Although the forum might be empty at times I still think it gives users a big red arrow sign pointing to where applications are and what they can apply for. It would also make the lives of our content designers a lot easier by having an automatically updating script render a list of open applications on Habbox.com.

Phil
30-08-2010, 01:26 AM
That's a good point, or it would be misleading once applications for the specific apartment have closed and the thread remains. I suppose that could be fixed by simply purging applications which have closed.

But the thread could just be moved into Archives?

HotelUser
30-08-2010, 01:57 AM
But the thread could just be moved into Archives?

Yes, that would completely fix the problem :)

Pyroka
30-08-2010, 02:17 AM
I think a Habbox Jobs forum (not a sub-forum) would be a great idea. Could even divide it into sub-forums, e.g Forum, Site & Habbo.

I think the best benefit of having a Habbox Jobs subforum though, would be that if Managers wanted to recruit one or two people instead of having a mass recruitment drive, they could simply post that they're looking for one or two people to join the team. Best part about this would be that people who regularly check the jobs & want a job in a certain department, would probably notice these sorts of things first, and they're the sort of people who are dedicated towards the job.

Though even then, having an Announcements thread every week announcing what Habbox departments are recruiting at the moment, would be a good idea. I'm looking at this in a professional Monster.com-esque (link (http://jobsearch.monster.co.uk/Search.aspx?cy=uk&re=508&k=JobSearch;Browse#cy=uk&re=508&dv=1)) kind of way. Maybe I'm overthinking it though.

HotelUser
30-08-2010, 05:00 AM
I think a Habbox Jobs forum (not a sub-forum) would be a great idea. Could even divide it into sub-forums, e.g Forum, Site & Habbo.

I think the best benefit of having a Habbox Jobs subforum though, would be that if Managers wanted to recruit one or two people instead of having a mass recruitment drive, they could simply post that they're looking for one or two people to join the team. Best part about this would be that people who regularly check the jobs & want a job in a certain department, would probably notice these sorts of things first, and they're the sort of people who are dedicated towards the job.

Though even then, having an Announcements thread every week announcing what Habbox departments are recruiting at the moment, would be a good idea. I'm looking at this in a professional Monster.com-esque (link (http://jobsearch.monster.co.uk/Search.aspx?cy=uk&re=508&k=JobSearch;Browse#cy=uk&re=508&dv=1)) kind of way. Maybe I'm overthinking it though.

I think a forum under the Habbox category would do very well to promote available job applications although that section does seem to be getting rather cluttered :P

Carlsta
30-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Exactly, the page on habbox.com under Job Openings looks great but it's just not updated and it would be great if it was, threads were stickied or a sub-forum was added.

I will speak to Alkaz about that to make sure the person is doing that section keeps it updated :)

Inseriousity.
30-08-2010, 09:14 AM
A sticky would be a good idea! No need for new forums or subforums imo.
As for the Job Openings page not being updated, this may not entirely be the fault of the Content Designers as the managers are supposed to PM alkaz and let him know so he can pass it on to the content designers and I admit that I've failed to do so in the past with the various other things I have to do...

So to take out two birds with one stone (don't call the RSPCA, they're busy dealing with cat-in-wheely-bin woman anyway), who could have the responsibility of sticking said threads in the forum? Alkaz! Managers PM alkaz to say 'sticky my thread' then he'll know that apps are open and when we say 'unsticky my thread', he'll know that apps are closed and be able to pass it onto the appropriate content designer to update the Job Openings page on Habbox. :)

Alex3213
30-08-2010, 09:25 AM
A sticky would be a good idea! No need for new forums or subforums imo.
As for the Job Openings page not being updated, this may not entirely be the fault of the Content Designers as the managers are supposed to PM alkaz and let him know so he can pass it on to the content designers and I admit that I've failed to do so in the past with the various other things I have to do...

So to take out two birds with one stone (don't call the RSPCA, they're busy dealing with cat-in-wheely-bin woman anyway), who could have the responsibility of sticking said threads in the forum? Alkaz! Managers PM alkaz to say 'sticky my thread' then he'll know that apps are open and when we say 'unsticky my thread', he'll know that apps are closed and be able to pass it onto the appropriate content designer to update the Job Openings page on Habbox. :)

I agree with all of this (apart from I could have sworn it was Garion you're meant to PM?) and I think, if the threads are stickied, there's no need for a forum. If the Habbox page is updated frequently enough, I think it would attract people easier etc. I also agree with the "1 day bump", no need to do it every other day, just the day before to attract final attetion.

Nixt
30-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I agree with all of this (apart from I could have sworn it was Garion you're meant to PM?).

Yeah I guess that shows half the problem already, severe lack of communication as to who is supposed to be updating this page in the first place. It's actually my job to update the Job Openings page but on top of the other things I have to do it is extremely difficult to keep track of this and make sure it is updated regularly. I think the safest bet is to allocate it to a keen Content Designer and ensure it is kept updated, and I'll start sending out PMs to Managers who fail to let said Content Designer know if job applications open. I'll speak to Alkaz about finding a designer to do this.

The policy for when a department opens is as follows (as written in the Manager's guide!)

Post the details of your applications in an announcement in the Habbox Announcements (http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1382) explaining to members who they should PM their application to and what the application should entail.

Post a short Habbox Today (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=641688) announcement, informing our Habbox.com users that applications have been opened.
PM the Assistant General Manager (Staff) - Garion (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=28846), informing them that applications for your department have been opened so they can update the Job Openings page on Habbox.com.

I think providing that the above is strictly adhered to then it is likely we will get a wide variety of applications whenever they open and people can be easily directed toward them. This is mostly my fault and I will accept the blame, I've been so caught up in some of the bigger things I've not being paying enough attention to the finer details that are equally important. I will now make sure Manager's are following the above procedure correctly and this will hopefully ensure applications are easily accessible.

I am not keen on a separate forum or subforum solely for Job Openings. More often than not there are no applications open at all, and I feel it would mostly be a waste of time. Providing the appropriate job openings page on Habbox.com is properly updated then it shouldn't be a problem.

Just to add we are soon to be changing the way we utilise the Habbox twitter and this in itself could be utilised to attract more applications and make people more aware of the job openings available at Habbox.

Blob
30-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Have a subforum with [CLOSED] and [OPEN] prefixes.

Alkaz
30-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Garion has said everything which needs to have been said. The page will be updated as and when it is needed from now on with a link to the correct announcements so for future reference it will be easier just to send people to the page under the Habbox section on the site rather than trying to help them navigate the forum to find the announcement.

scottish
30-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Then you have 8 threads with closed applications which is absolutely unecessary

Stickying the open thread would be fine

HotelUser
30-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm sticking to my gut and agreeing with you :P

Yupt
30-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Im sorry, but I know it looks more *official* to have a subforum, but it's really not needed, it would be easier if they were just stickied under announcements and then unsticky once apps close, simples.

Mathew
30-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Oh, while you're at it - why not make a new subforum for each individual department so a constant feed can be posted? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, why complicate everything and spend so much time over crap like this? Stickying the open applications is a perfect idea.. there's no reason to do rubbish like sub-forums which simply don't need to be there. I thought the index page was meant to be shortened? :S

Seems like a long, drawn-out process. Is there a reason it has to go through Alkaz? :S Why can't the managers just PM the "person in charge of publishing job openings" :P Maybe people don't know if job openings are open or not because it takes so long to go through 3 people before it's updated..

Im sorry, but I know it looks more *official* to have a subforum, but it's really not needed, it would be easier if they were just stickied under announcements and then unsticky once apps close, simples.
Agreed.
It's not like ticking a box takes a long time either :S

Alkaz
30-08-2010, 02:57 PM
The reason they had to PM me was because it was me who used to update the page before I became Asst General Manager and then Jin made the AGM(S) update it which is why it then became Garion but we've sorted the problem now and a Content Designer will be keeping on top of this page.

Phil
30-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I also think the 'Job Opening' page is quite hidden, and some people might not go look for it, they might just see it and think "Hey, that might be good for me". That's how I started, I came on to check a value of a rare and amongst the banners in the top right corner of the habbox.com site and I saw that EO applications were open!

Alkaz
30-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeh that was something as well which was down to the AGM(S). There will either new department application banners or a general banner that links people to the job openings page on the site. Hopefully one general banner could work better than lots of them which all go in order and people may not see.

AgnesIO
30-08-2010, 06:06 PM

That's strange, I was literally just going to post that haha.

Would make a lot of sense imo

scottish
30-08-2010, 07:16 PM
That's strange, I was literally just going to post that haha.

Would make a lot of sense imo

no it wouldn't as you'd have a page full of closed apps and on the odd chance one with an open prefix which is absolutely useless as whats the point drawing attention to closed apps, there is no reason to and a subforum would be useless aswell

Sticky the application thread is only logical way to do it tbh

Hecktix
30-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I think Garion, Alkaz and Sarah have covered my views but I just want to highlight something about sticking threads rather than bumping: I don't know what other Department Managers experience but I know that with Moderator Applications, particularly the most recent ones which have just closed, each bump of the thread brings an influx of applications, this (in my opinion) is that a large amount of users browse Habbox Forum solely using "New Posts" and sometimes forget to check announcements for things like this, therefore if it is bumped and appears on their new posts feed then they see it, as I've said I know this is the case because looking at the time of each bump and the time of some of my recent applications - it worked.

AgnesIO
30-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I think Garion, Alkaz and Sarah have covered my views but I just want to highlight something about sticking threads rather than bumping: I don't know what other Department Managers experience but I know that with Moderator Applications, particularly the most recent ones which have just closed, each bump of the thread brings an influx of applications, this (in my opinion) is that a large amount of users browse Habbox Forum solely using "New Posts" and sometimes forget to check announcements for things like this, therefore if it is bumped and appears on their new posts feed then they see it, as I've said I know this is the case because looking at the time of each bump and the time of some of my recent applications - it worked.

On the other hand, I would rather not see posts about job's, which I have seen 5 times before anyway, when there are newer announcements that I want to see, but don't since the ones that show up are bumped announcements.

Hecktix
30-08-2010, 07:51 PM
On the other hand, I would rather not see posts about job's, which I have seen 5 times before anyway, when there are newer announcements that I want to see, but don't since the ones that show up are bumped announcements.

It's 1 post on new posts you can just skip over, I'd rather get more applications...

Phil
30-08-2010, 07:51 PM
no it wouldn't as you'd have a page full of closed apps and on the odd chance one with an open prefix which is absolutely useless as whats the point drawing attention to closed apps, there is no reason to and a subforum would be useless aswell

Sticky the application thread is only logical way to do it tbh

Agree with this, it's just a waste of space!

AgnesIO
30-08-2010, 07:56 PM
It's 1 post on new posts you can just skip over, I'd rather get more applications...

I am referring to the announcement forum. I never look at 'new' posts.

Grig
31-08-2010, 05:21 AM
No.

If you're so interested in applications open use the site. That's where most people apply for certain departments.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!