PDA

View Full Version : Medal of honor possibly banned in the UK?

-Adam
31-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Liam Fox calls for Medal of Honor ban

The defence secretary is 'disgusted' by depiction of Taliban insurgents killing allied forces

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/8/23/1282556045196/moh_screen_mp_2.gif
Medal of Honor: is it wrong to play as the Taliban? The defence secretary, Liam Fox (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/liamfox), has launched a stinging attack on the forthcoming first-person shooter Medal of Honor, requesting that retailers refuse to stock the game. EA's relaunch of its hugely successful series is set amid the war in Afghanistan and the single-player campaign follows US troops as they seek to defeat the Taliban. However, the multiplayer online mode allows players to take part as terrorist operatives, gaining points for killing allied soldiers, and this is the element that Fox objects to.

Read more on the story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/aug/23/liam-fox-medal-of-honor-ban

So what do you think :)? Should medal of honor be banned in the uk?

Pyroka
31-08-2010, 06:56 PM
DEAR MR DEFENCE SECRETARY

DO ONE.

it shouldnt be banned omg ;l

.Liam
31-08-2010, 06:59 PM
It shouldn't be banned.

I will post my reasons why it shouldn't be banned later.

Yupt
31-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Ye, so they want to ban this, yet they didn't give a flying... about Grand Theft Auto, running around shooting cops, doing drug deals, doing prostitutes.. Ye, makes sense.

W00TZEH
31-08-2010, 07:19 PM
old news, it's not going to be banned because one idiot politician wants it to be.
You got to go on a killing spree killing hundreds of defenceless civilians in Modern Warfare 2, so playing as someone from the Taliban isn't exactly worse.

Nalfar
31-08-2010, 07:20 PM
old news.

old *** who knows nothing about anything.

get to hell.

Fez
31-08-2010, 07:32 PM
BFBC said they've seen the game and commented "the most authentic war game ever made" and "banning it would be a tragedy to serious entertainment."

From what I've read and played, this game is going to educate people about what is going on in Afghanistan. It parallels what happened with Six Days in Fallujah, except EA actively wanted to create the game rather than a group of soldiers seeking a team to do it.

If it's banned, uproar goddamnit.

Neil
31-08-2010, 08:34 PM
The only reason you need for why it shouldn't be banned - IT IS A FREAKING VIDEO GAME.

Man these people really need to stop being little girls crying about every little thing a video game does, books can do it, films can do it, why the hell is it a problem when a video game does it?

dbgtz
31-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Some representitive said that it was pure personal opinion.
And as the government support the BBFC, if they say its fine (by fine I mean if they rate it) then it shall be legal to sell, all that dude done was told supermarkets to not sell a game which could make a bit of money for them. Which is odd considering how much they feast on tax.

Fez
31-08-2010, 08:59 PM
It's only outcry because it's a videogame, as Neil said.

Chris
31-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Its a game, they should get over it.

Frodo13.
01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
By calling for this game to be banned, that politician has done immense wonders for MOH because people are going to buy it just to see what the fuss was about!

GommeInc
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
It's a game and pure opinion. So is it just on multiplayer, you get this option? When it first came out it looked like it was out across single player and multiplayer modes, so if that was the case I can see what people mean about it coming off as insulting (even though it's still a game, so I still disagree with outright banning it). Multiplayer is fine, it's like playing with the Imperials in Star Wars rather than the Rebels, except this is "sort of kinda like real life". The stories tend to be fictional but based in real locations. Looking at that, you can see why it shouldn't be banned. GTA managed to get through the filter, and that is actually set in the western world and you can pretend to blow up fictional buildings based on real buildings based in a fictional city based on a real city.

It's panicking for no reason. There is no damage being done seeing as I doubt it'd give white kids* a reason to blow up other white kids pretending they're Iraqi/Afghan* kids. If anything it's insulting to soldiers out there, but the stories are entirely fictional and made up on the spot, so it's kinda unnecessary to be insulted. It's like Pearl Harbour or other war films, they can be insulting on both sides, but they take an entirely perspective view on the situation.

* - As the government are clearly taking a pedantic/critical view, then I have the right to say white kids/Iraqi kids/Afhan kids to give this otherwise dull discussion an extra bit of pep :P

Firehorse
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Another ludicrous judgement from someone who's probably never played a video game in their life. Politicians who aren't well educated on matters in unbiased ways shouldn't be allowed to have any say in banning them. It's like shooting a person because you don't understand them.

Jayke
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Ill just import it from play asia, good game law.

peteyt
06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
So its okay if i blow the crap out of people but as soon as its the other way around its different?

War has 2 sides.

DPS
08-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Even if shops dont stock it, ill get it on the internet so the he can sod off

peteyt
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Steam is going to sell it I beleive

Gibs960
08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Why ban a video game, as said before, you can shoot tonnes of civilians in "No Russian" or whatever the mission is, but you can't kill soldiers? If they want to educate younger people about the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, an accurate video game is the best way! If they ban it in this country then people will just buy it off the internet, total waste of time banning it.

dbgtz
08-09-2010, 06:03 PM
before people keep going on how it will be banned, this title is grossly misleading and all he did is ask retailers to not distribute it, and I doubt any retailer will follow this. Some government representitive even said how it was personal opinion.

peteyt
08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
But still it was a stupid opinion.

Everyone has hates - but you don't see them going around asking people not to sell or buy them because they don't agree with it.

I'd say HSM should be banned because its the worst film series, or twilight, but its my opinion - I know its a bit different, but someone like this guy should realise everyones going to just ignore him - if anything he's made it become even more popular now

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!