PDA

View Full Version : is this a good computer?

bo$$
02-09-2010, 12:11 AM
long story short, i need to upgrade.
i'm going to be using this for everyday things in the meantime but soon enough i'm going to be using it to edit videos and stuff w/ programs such as sony vegas and audio w/ adobe audition/pro tools, etc.
so i need it to be good enough to do stuff like that (especially the videos.. i can't even watch HD videos on youtube with my computer because it lags/skips too much and i can't edit anything that i've got as it's always skipping + takes forever to export). also i'll be going to school in the winter for media (stuff involving graphics design, video, audio, etc.)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6367167&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

so.. is this a good computer for me to invest in? thanks.

Recursion
02-09-2010, 12:12 AM
You forgot the link ;)

bo$$
02-09-2010, 12:13 AM
you clicked too fast :(

Recursion
02-09-2010, 12:15 AM
hehe xD

That computer should easily do what you want it to do, but have a look around Dell and other places like that, I'm not really sure if that's a good price or not seeing as I don't live in Canada haha

HotelUser
02-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Not a computer I'd be proud of for the price if I'm honest. Check out your local BesBuy and FutureShops. There's sales all the time on desktops. I got my Core 2 Quad for $400 at a Christmas sale at Futureshop.

bo$$
02-09-2010, 01:40 AM
so your main problem w/ it is the price? but the technical side of things, the specs are good?

HotelUser
02-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Yes my main beef is with the price - I think if you put your head down you could find a better deal elsewhere; especially if you're patient. On the technical side of things it should accomplish all of your needs as you wish.

bo$$
02-09-2010, 01:50 AM
awesome, thanks.
recursion, i've got to spread rep before giving some to you.. (didn't even know i've ever given you any.. it's been that long lol) sorry

iDices
02-09-2010, 03:24 AM
its kinda awesome i guess i like it alot it looks Raw

bo$$
02-09-2010, 05:09 AM
i asked this same question on yahoo answers and got a few replies like it's too expensive for what it is, it should do the job, graphics card was eh, etc.
so i've looked around a little bit, found a cheaper one and was wondering opinions on this one?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=2514051&category=Desktops_English&catalog=Online&tab=1#more

also, is it true that windows 7 is a memory hog? would xp run faster/take up less room? it says 64-bit is installed.. would i need to install 64 bit XP in order for it to work? thanks

Jack!
02-09-2010, 07:14 AM
i asked this same question on yahoo answers and got a few replies like it's too expensive for what it is, it should do the job, graphics card was eh, etc.
so i've looked around a little bit, found a cheaper one and was wondering opinions on this one?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=2514051&category=Desktops_English&catalog=Online&tab=1#more

also, is it true that windows 7 is a memory hog? would xp run faster/take up less room? it says 64-bit is installed.. would i need to install 64 bit XP in order for it to work? thanks

Windows 7 is the best os microsoft have made since XP, it uses less resources than that i think once installed. So no its not :P

MattFr
02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
its kinda awesome i guess i like it alot it looks Raw

"it looks raw" bahahhahaa

Edited by Recursion (Forum Moderator): Please refrain from pointlessly posting, thanks.

bo$$
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Windows 7 is the best os microsoft have made since XP, it uses less resources than that i think once installed. So no its not :P

ahh okay
thanks

HotelUser
02-09-2010, 05:33 PM

That computer is terrible especially for the price. Shoot for something with four cores around that price. As I said before I really think your best bet is to just wait for a sale at your local Futureshop or BestBuy.

AgnesIO
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
With the original computer you posted, it wouldn't be so bad if the price was lower. But considering it is refurbished.. The second one is just a no :)

I will have a look round for you now :)

bo$$
03-09-2010, 04:14 AM
That computer is terrible especially for the price. Shoot for something with four cores around that price. As I said before I really think your best bet is to just wait for a sale at your local Futureshop or BestBuy.
i'm just trying to get it asap so i can get that expense out of the way and not have to deal w/ the constant fear of this computer crashing and potentially losing a buncha stuff (most important stuff is on my usb though) and just plain having the new computer. i'm definitely not trying to jump the gun on anything though, i'm still browsing around and trying to see whats good and asking around. i know about computers but when it comes to the actual parts and technicalities of it all.. i dont know that much.. lol

With the original computer you posted, it wouldn't be so bad if the price was lower. But considering it is refurbished.. The second one is just a no :)

I will have a look round for you now :)
yeah, the main problem everyones had is the price.. it's a shame. thanks!

Metric1
03-09-2010, 04:45 AM

forget the computer being terrible, that store is terrible & overpriced as well.

bo$$
06-09-2010, 02:56 AM
another one to ask about...

I found an ad on craigslist.. It's a 2 year old gaming computer with the following specs:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8400 PC w/ 4GB DDR2 Ram; DVI/VGA GPU; 750GB; DVDRW

--------------------------------------…

• Antec SLK 3000 AMB Mid-tower ATX Case ← Super Mint Condition w/ 2 Front USB Ports; 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan; Complete Accessories Included
• OCZ 500Watt StealthXStream OCZ500SXS Power Supply ← BRAND NEW; Quiet Operation w/ 120mm Fan
• Intel Core 2 Quad Desktop Processor Q8400 2.66 GHz 1333Hz FSB CPU ← Intel Factory Warranty Until Sep 2012
• Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 ATX Motherboard (PCI-E x16, 4 SATA ports, S/PDIF Output, 4 USB ports) ← Balanced Factory Waranty
• Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory ← Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty!!!
• Seagate Barracuda 750GB Hard Drive Running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition ← Warranty Until Jun 2012
• PNY GeForce 8500GT 512MB DVI/VGA/S-video PCI-E Video Card
• Pioneer DVR-111DBK DVD?RW Dual Layer Drive Internal DVD Burner
• Samsung SEMA 3? in. Internal Flash Card Reader w/ USB port ← SDHC support!

Cost is $475
If everything is good but once again cost is the issue.. I won't be paying for the full amount of the computer, I'm going to split it.
But the main thing I wanna focus on is whether all of the specs are good and if I'd be getting a good computer

thanks!

HotelUser
06-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Yes, those specifications shall serve you very well :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!