PDA

View Full Version : Confident in Speaking

AgnesIO
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Just wondering about this.

Are you confident in speaking to people, and are you happy with the 'way you speak'.

Personally I know my voice is low, which sometimes makes me less confident - it's silly really but it does so ya know.

Anyway what about you? :)

Nixt
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Without sounding arrogant and I am a very confident public speaker who is very happy with my oratory! It's one of my most valued personal skills.

Grippz
02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I can speak to people without a problem.

kk.
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
im a bit of both tbh. I dislike my voice when i hear i, but i cant really change it, so you have to live with it lol. and im shy, but then i decide, who cares? :P

Inseriousity.
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
No I'm not but once I get going, I can't stop... like Pringles :D
The opposite of you, my voice is too high even though it shouldn't be. I can't hear it though, that's the problem but everyone laughing at me every time I open my mouth makes me close it again. :(

Narnat,
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I am personally quite a good public speaker I never use to be but It's just something that I find normal. I use to teach primary kids and teenagers about drugs and the law which sometimes included 200-300 kids. Also Cadets help me a lot by having to stand in front of lots of cadets and give out orders ect.

Caution
02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I hate my voice, I hate when I have to speak in class.

AgnesIO
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I am personally quite a good public speaker I never use to be but It's just something that I find normal. I use to teach primary kids and teenagers about drugs and the law which sometimes included 200-300 kids. Also Cadets help me a lot by having to stand in front of lots of cadets and give out orders ect.

Was going to join Air Cadets when I was 13, I never did. I kind of regret it tbh.

---

It is interesting to see the responses here. This will sound stupid, but do you guys who are really confident speakers 'enjoy' speaking? As in, since I know my voice is quite low (which sometimes mean not using many tones etc i speaking), I don't like listening to myself when I speak. I also find doing recordings for like german etc where you sit in front of the teacher and they record you, really hard - just because I hear myself and kind of don't want to keep going I guess :S

Although weirdly I think I can go higher than most the boys in my year without sounding really squeeky lol

EDIT: Caution same here. I hate it when you do like English lessons and the teacher is like 'Can you read this bit of the book' (in front of everyone). My god that is uneasy lol

Nemo
02-09-2010, 09:08 PM
In large groups, im not very confident at all, but when theres 1 or 2 others, then yes i consider myself pretty confident. Ofc, sometimes in large groups i am but honestly it depends on the people

AgnesIO
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
In large groups, im not very confident at all, but when theres 1 or 2 others, then yes i consider myself pretty confident. Ofc, sometimes in large groups i am but honestly it depends on the people

Oh yeah, I can talking to friends or small groups, just as soon as it is anything more than like 25 it starts to be harder.

I would be fine if it is in front of people I don't know. I find that SO much easier.

wixard
02-09-2010, 09:15 PM
i loooooooove having people listen to me, and i like my voice
over here i have an accent too so thats a plus

Special
02-09-2010, 09:16 PM
i'm confident talking to whoever, whenever

buttons
02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
i don't like talking to a group of people. i bore myself and everyone else to death. if i have to discuss something by myself to others i.e a presentation i end up stuttering cause i can't explain myself v.well. i'm also really impatient to slow people who don't understand what i'm trying to say, i won't repeat myself i'll just give up n get grumpy...i'm better in a group discussion.

oh n i get told i sound really drole, i have no expression & my voice tone never changes. on the phone all you get is "yeah.....no....what?.....mm......ok.....bye" unless i'm drunk or smthn. i just act sarcastic & serious a lot, i express myself better on paper or internet or in a small group of people unfortunately..

:l me irl

-:Undertaker:-
02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
It depends really - if there's an awkward atmosphere its like 'no'. If i'm on a subject i'm keen on then i'll be fine. I'd say arguments are different and depends who its with like the neighbour I was arguing with the other day - one of my legs was shaking and that happens sometimes lol!

Jordy
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Generally quite a confident speaker infront of groups or classes of people but beyond that I'm useless. Infront of whole year groups (200 odd people) I'm very bad.

I don't really mind how my voice sounds tbh, it varies a fair bit.

Imosae
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
lol no i speak really quietly when speaking face to face i could change it if i really wanted to though

Caution
02-09-2010, 10:20 PM
When I begin to speak my voice croaks and I have to cough and it gets embarrassing in front of people. Hate it.

dbgtz
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Urrm, can quite easily do presentations with prep
infact I can do well without preperation I just need knowledge of what im talking about then I can blag it LOL

And if its a group convo/convo with anyone, as long as I know I share some common interests then I can talk to them easily.

Pyroka
02-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm a great speaker, I've had over 19 years experience in it.

Nah jokes uhm yeah I like the way I talk, my lingo and slang is something most desire, and even though I *apparently* sound like MattGarner, I love my voice and my talky talky.

Fez
03-09-2010, 02:11 AM
I hate my voice.

Apple
03-09-2010, 02:31 AM
I love to talk but when it comes to talking in front of big groups then I'm not so comfortable. Nevertheless I can still get on with it and show little or no signs of being uncomfortable.

Nicola
04-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I've been told I have a nice voice but idk I've never really thought about it that much. I don't mind speaking in public but if I think about what I'm trying to say too much then I trip over myself. I did a presentation in class once and some people were like "omg you sound like a news reporter" looool.

I hate speaking when it's silent incase I speak too loud or my voice goes funny!

emily965
05-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a thing where I seem to talk loud & confident with my parents, or when I'm home, but when I'm out in a public place, not so much. When speaking to people, my confidence depends on who I'm talking to. E.G If I was talking to one of my 5 best friends, I'd be confident because I talk to them almost every day. Someone like my cousin, my confidence drops a little bit. When I public speak doing a speech etc., I get nervous, such as getting out in our assembly in front of 4 year levels, or even in front of my own class.

MzKx
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
im confident speaking to people 1 on 1, but if i had to talk to a big crowd i would be so unconfident and try anything to not do it. im a shy person when it comes to speaking in big groups and stuff.

The Don
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, I'm a very good public speaker, but i suppose you can't be a rubbish public speaker if you wan't to be a dj lol.

Rozi
06-09-2010, 10:15 PM
meh I'm ok, generally if it's a small group who I don't know I'm fine, but if it's like 4+ I'll be quite quiet, unless I know a fair few of them :)

I haaaaateeeeeeee speaking in class though, hate hate hate it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!