PDA

View Full Version : Android 3.5 (HoneyComb)

GoldenMerc
03-09-2010, 02:10 AM
http://phandroid.com/2010/09/02/android-3-5-honeycomb-to-be-on-samsungs-next-generation-of-tablets-in-2011/

Android 3.5 (Honeycomb) to be on Samsung’s Next Generation of Tablets in 2011 (http://phandroid.com/2010/09/02/android-3-5-honeycomb-to-be-on-samsungs-next-generation-of-tablets-in-2011/)

by Quentyn Kennemer on September 2nd, 2010
Before we can even finish building our gingerbread house, Samsung’s already looking toward the future at Android 3.5 (otherwise unofficially known as honeycomb). Speaking at a Q&A session following the Samsung Galaxy Tab’s official unveiling, head of Samsung Mobile JK Shin commented on a question about future iterations of Android on their current offering. He confirmed that we would be seeing Android 3.0 on the Tab after the upgrade is available (but didn’t mention any timeframe, of course). He did state that Android 3.5 would be the underlying operating system for their next generation of tablets as a bonus answer, too, stating we’d see those sometime in 2011.

http://phandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/samsung-galaxy-tab-event-660x495-550x412.jpg (http://phandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/samsung-galaxy-tab-event-660x495.jpg)
While I’m excited that Samsung’s looking to be the first out of the starting gate with honeycomb (it’ll push other manufacturers to keep up to speed, as well), my attention is still focused on devices still needing an upgrade to Android 2.2 (and 2.1, for that matter) as well as the yet-to-be-detailed Android 3.0 (gingerbread) that we should be seeing released sometime near the holiday season..

I've only just got a new phone :'(
What are your thoughts.
Ross

HotelUser
03-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Very excited for Gingerbread because of the facelift it's supposedly getting.

Android just keeps getting better and better with every release. It's absolutely awesome!

GoldenMerc
03-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Aye i got my mum to buy a desire today she was so picky ! omg
den when she opened it she was like wow, can i have bbc news here i was like yeh wait il do it later aha. next gotta get my dad to get one hes got a blackberry atm :/
But bit annoying considering 2.2 only just came out :(

Pyroka
03-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Am I right in reading their bosses are called DJ Lee, JK Shin & WP Hong? Oh and Thomas Richter???

Either way thats pretty cool.

GommeInc
03-09-2010, 02:36 AM
They're already looking at 3.0? :O Which one was Gingerbread? That was the last one I heard of, and I could of sworn that was a 2.something number, not a 3 :P

xxMATTGxx
03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I think Gingerbread is known as 3.0 which is whenever that comes out which should bring a completely different UI then we are used to and I believe will be be more better for tablets. Which Samsung have said they are already planning their next tablet to run "Gingerbread" and the new codename for 3. whatever seems to be Honeycomb which has been rumored/confirmed on a number of tech websites and also on the video podcast "This Week In Google" by Twit.

Wikipedia say 2011 sometime for that.

They're already looking at 3.0? :O Which one was Gingerbread? That was the last one I heard of, and I could of sworn that was a 2.something number, not a 3 :P

It hasn't been used before and it's time for "H" to be used for Androids OS names. :P

1.5 - Cupcake
1.6 - Donut
2.0/2.1 - Eclair
2.2 - Froyo
3.0? (Not sure) - Gingerbread (Q4 2010 launch?)
3.X - Honeycomb - Scheduled for 2011 launch?

Agnostic Bear
04-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Aye i got my mum to buy a desire today she was so picky ! omg
den when she opened it she was like wow, can i have bbc news here i was like yeh wait il do it later aha. next gotta get my dad to get one hes got a blackberry atm :/
But bit annoying considering 2.2 only just came out :(

You should've got the Galaxy S instead, more powerful w/ a better screen at the same price.

Recursion
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
FroYo - 2.2
Gingerbread - 3.0
Honeycomb - 3.5.

Someone confirmed a while back anything with a 1GHz CPU and 512mb RAM or higher will be getting Gingerbread, anything less than that you'll have to stick with an unofficial 3.0 build or stock 2.2 I'm afraid :(

Looking forward to 3.0, let alone 3.5!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!