PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's right for teachers to shout at pupils

Narnat,
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
So do you ? Think it's okay for teachers to shout at pupils ?

I personally don't think it's right. Especially when it's like younger years and I also think it's rude especially if you arn't shouting at them. whats your views ?

Nixt
03-09-2010, 06:32 PM
If some teachers did not shout the simple fact of the matter is that a lot of lessons would be in disarray. Often with younger people it is necessary to raise your voice to get the message across, it's unlikely anyone's going to listen if you try and sit down and have a nice chat with them about not swearing. In some cases it is totally necessary. In fact I say bring back the cane.

Alex3213
03-09-2010, 06:36 PM
If some teachers did not shout the simple fact of the matter is that a lot of lessons would be in disarray. Often with younger people it is necessary to raise your voice to get the message across, it's unlikely anyone's going to listen if you try and sit down and have a nice chat with them about not swearing. In some cases it is totally necessary. In fact I say bring back the cane.

I agree (apart from the last part because I am against things like that). The reason teachers shout is to put the message across because previously so and so is unable to realise that blah blah blah is inappropiate. I also think that it's more towards the younger children that you have to raise your voice as in all due respect, refuse to listen. If there was nothing wrong, the teacher wouldn't have to shout- and I'm sure that would save them a voice!

AgnesIO
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I think it is right.

I actually agree with Gary-on (has to be done) here. The cane would stop kids messing about.

Jordan
03-09-2010, 07:26 PM
No, and if they shouted at me, i would shout back. And I didnt like my english teacher so i asked her to leave... and she left woooo

AgnesIO
03-09-2010, 07:29 PM
No, and if they shouted at me, i would shout back. And I didnt like my english teacher so i asked her to leave... and she left woooo

Rude little boy.

EDIT: Actually if you mean just shouting at you, not the whole class then I agree with you.

Hollie
03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I think it's right sometimes, depends on the situation really like my maths teacher shout all the time, even when she's just explaining something to the class, it's like your constantly being told off..
I don't think it's right to shout at young children especially if they don't know any better.

chantellehugs
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I think if the class is really wild they should shout, or if the student is answering back or not listening.
But sometimes when they've just yelled at someone and then someone does the tiniest thing wrong they shout at them, without telling them calmly first.

Arron
03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Do you think it's alright when cocky students argue with teachers?

Jamesy
03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I absolutely think its right. I remember this girl in my form last year, had serious attitude problems - was a horrible person. Came in one day late and made sarky comments when was called out on this by our form tutor who is a decent chap. He told her to stand outside so she went out in the typical tantrumy manner - so he went out and shouted at her for about 10 minutes. She came back a lot quieter :P

I think people need to be shaken up and given a pretty firm messages as I'm sure all of you will know people who just don't get it. Plus I imagine there is some primal instinct in that he who shouts loudest is the alpha and carries the authority.

I've been shouted at and I still agree, because I deserved it and it sure as hell made me not do it again!

RandomManJay
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM
When its really young children then no, since they may not understand what they've done wrong. But when they're older, like maybe junior school and into secondary and sixth form etc. yes, since they understand by this age how to behave in lessons and have the maturity to know when they've done wrong.

Also many students/pupils are becoming more disobient with their superiors. Like when I was in sixth form, this kid randomly grabbed me and screamed at me in the face (which made me lol). When I was his age I wouldn't even look at a sixth former, much less speak to them in anyway cause we knew that they were seniors and deserved to be treated as such. Most students I see now just do bog all and think they don't deserve a telling off when they've done something wrong.

HotelUser
03-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I think teachers should reserve the right to raise their voice in direction to a specific pupil when the circumstance is appropriate.

In the past I have seen teachers lose their temper very easily and go off at a student where the situation didn't require it and the teacher was going overboard.

Having said that I've also seen many students who simply could not care. Not caring about your education is one thing, but showing and going out of your way to show disrespect towards a teacher is beyond ridiculous and I believe in a circumstance like this where the student has shown a significant and complete disregard for those around him/her that some level of verbal discipline whether it's by means of harsh words, or an angry/loud tone is appropriate.

Also keep in mind teachers are human too, and I know if I was stuck in a classroom with 30 students for 7 hours a day for 18 years I'd probably want to raise my voice sometimes too :P

-:Undertaker:-
03-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I support corporal punishment also, we've seen a decline since the war in teaching standards and the standards we all deem acceptable. The cane would install good behaviour back into schools and we'd all know not to push the boundaries let alone be outrighly bad-behaved.

Don't like the idea of the cane? - then don't misbehave in the first place.

alexxxxx
03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
of course it is. especially when they won't listen. but they still have to be fair. i had some teachers who overreacted.

Callum.
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeh it's fine, but obviously only when it's correct to do so. I hate them shouting when they're blatently wrong and that. I do like a good arguement though, with me being right all the time and that.

alexxxxx
03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
oh and to the cane - no. you get some weirdo teachers.

Caution
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I also support corporal punishment, so shouting is fine to me. A good teacher doesn't have to anyway.

Oleh
03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
One way a french teacher got most of the class to shut up was to throw the whiteboard rubber at the wall. in rage

dbgtz
03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Theres different types of shouting imo
theres the angry shout, which should be used in older people as for the reasons people have listed already
theres the shouting which makes you more active in lessons which should always be used.

also whoever said they should bring back the cane, I agree.

also this is kinda going off topic but I think discipline should relate to r/l more tbh. For example if I was to borrow money off the school and I didnt pay within a certain amount of time, they had the ability to seize my bag until I pay. This would teach that actions have consequences and people will not generally take pity for something which is your own fault.

Inseriousity.
04-09-2010, 09:26 AM
I also support corporal punishment, so shouting is fine to me. A good teacher doesn't have to anyway.

lol i agree with the latter half of this. A good teacher doesn't have to shout, they can get their message across without raising their voice. I had an English teacher that had 'the look'. If you got this look, you knew you had to stop whatever you were doing straight away!

Which is why I disagree with your first statement, you don't need a cane to punish pupils.

Hecktix
04-09-2010, 10:15 AM
lol i agree with the latter half of this. A good teacher doesn't have to shout, they can get their message across without raising their voice. I had an English teacher that had 'the look'. If you got this look, you knew you had to stop whatever you were doing straight away!

Which is why I disagree with your first statement, you don't need a cane to punish pupils.

I kind of agree that a good teacher doesn't need to shout but it's a handy tool for them to have, I had a maths teacher at school, a young Scottish woman and she was an excellent teacher and yes she had one of those looks where if you got it it scared the absolute crap out of you but that might have been because whenever someone got sent out of Miss Weir's class (that was her name), the whole school would hear her shouting at them outside, she went a bit OTT sometimes but minimal kids behaved in her class and a lot of kids had respect for her because she really struck the nice/nasty balance - she always had a very much "you're nice to me, i'm nice to you, you piss me off, I piss you off" attitude and people respected her for it tremendously once they realised, hell I called her "Miss Weird" when I was in year 7 and trust me after that I was nice to her... and she's the only teacher I'm still in contact with today so yeh..

On the other ends of the scale it's interesting, we had a teacher called Mr Dale who formally flew the Vulcans in the RAF (hell didn't we know it, yes he was one of those kinda ex-RAF blokes that never shut up about it) but he literally spoke to the class like we were one of the airmen below him, he'd walk in, slam his metre rule down on the table and scream out a maths question at the top of his voice and got very mad if he didnt get one within 30 secs. All of the lessons were unbelievably regimented and you knew if you didn't follow the rules you were in for one of the worst telling offs you'd ever get in that school. This is wrong in my opinion and scared most kids witless, to the extent where you wouldn't dare get a question wrong or ask for help (you could though, he was very very helpful once you got to know his ways). Although when I was in his class I was in set 2 for maths, half way through the year I was moved up to Set 1. I think it was his excellent teaching that got me there so arguably, regimented lessons full of shouting work too.

On the other end of the scale I had a teacher who never shouted, and I got on with her well as I behaved but I did see a lot of kids pissing her about too.

So yeah, shouting is acceptable in my opinion in any form.

luce
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
i don't see anything wrong with it, they are in charge, it's their job and you should be respectful to them. the way some children treat teachers is disgusting. It's a good life lesson because someone is always going to be your boss and you have to learn to take orders from parents colleges etc so it is the best thing to engrain it from an early age :-)

Ardemax
04-09-2010, 06:43 PM
yes otherwise school wouldn't function

Frodo13.
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I agree in the cane. Obviously I never experienced it myself in school, on the very rare occasion the school rang up home to tell them about my behaviour I sure experienced some corporal punishment at home; my Dad used to whip me with his belt. I never acted up in school after that.

Xtina
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I support corporal punishment also, we've seen a decline since the war in teaching standards and the standards we all deem acceptable. The cane would install good behaviour back into schools and we'd all know not to push the boundaries let alone be outrighly bad-behaved.

Don't like the idea of the cane? - then don't misbehave in the first place.

But the thing is, I'm someone who would hit back if i got hit by a cane. Also, I do not think many teachers would like the idea of hitting pupils.

Slowpoke
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Not only do I think it's right, but I think a little slap now and again wouldn't go amiss. Unfortunately, with the current attitude of teenagers nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if they hit back. We don't have any respect for authority it's pretty disgusting really

Ardemax
05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
There's no benefit in hitting pupils - it won't discipline them. Yes a few may hush up, but others will just get furious and their attitudes will deteriorate.

AgnesIO
05-09-2010, 12:36 PM
But the thing is, I'm someone who would hit back if i got hit by a cane. Also, I do not think many teachers would like the idea of hitting pupils.

Well then you should learn when to have respect for people.

This is where education went wrong - pupils seem to think they have some sort of right to do what they like.

05-09-2010, 12:54 PM

By that time you would know not to hit back because you'd either be thrown out or would be too afraid to mess around again because everytime you think about it, you'll remember the pain it gave you - it'll make you think twice. The teacher issue, well you'd have to let schools deciden whether or not they wish to use it - personally i'd leave it in the hands of the headmaster on which teachers can send the kids to him and he can decide.

Of course you'll get soft schools and hard schools on the issue - but thats expected.

There's no benefit in hitting pupils - it won't discipline them. Yes a few may hush up, but others will just get furious and their attitudes will deteriorate.

It will disipline them because when you are hit you will think again about messing around. This whole sociological approach to everything in recent time (crime, education etc) is exactly the reason why we have falling standards and a lack of respect.

'It isnt his fault because..' - well maybe its time people start taking some responsibility rather than blaming what they do on everybody else.

Ardemax
05-09-2010, 01:47 PM
By that time you would know not to hit back because you'd either be thrown out or would be too afraid to mess around again because everytime you think about it, you'll remember the pain it gave you - it'll make you think twice. The teacher issue, well you'd have to let schools deciden whether or not they wish to use it - personally i'd leave it in the hands of the headmaster on which teachers can send the kids to him and he can decide.

Of course you'll get soft schools and hard schools on the issue - but thats expected.

It will disipline them because when you are hit you will think again about messing around. This whole sociological approach to everything in recent time (crime, education etc) is exactly the reason why we have falling standards and a lack of respect.

'It isnt his fault because..' - well maybe its time people start taking some responsibility rather than blaming what they do on everybody else.

I think education moved forward rather than backwards when the cane and any object to hit pupils with, was banned.

i would still argue that if students were hit by the cane, that will just get them more furious? and what if they have learning disiabilites? hitting them with something such as a cane will not prevent them from doing anything, it will just cause and outrage.

Frodo13.
05-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I think education moved forward rather than backwards when the cane and any object to hit pupils with, was banned.

i would still argue that if students were hit by the cane, that will just get them more furious? and what if they have learning disiabilites? hitting them with something such as a cane will not prevent them from doing anything, it will just cause and outrage.

Obviously, kids with learning difficulties would have to be punished and taught in different ways. I actually think that corporal punishment should not only be used in school, but also in the judicial system aswell. As I mentioned earlier on in the thread, growing up, my Dad would whip me with his belt when I did something wrong; I now have 10 GCSE's, 5 A Levels and I am studying for a degree. Can't of done me that much harm...

Matthew
05-09-2010, 03:24 PM
as long as the shouting is within reason, then yes.

unfortunately theres some people who dont do as theyre told unless theyre screamed at, but if the pupils are young then i dont think they should be shouted at, at least until theyve learnt whats right and wrong

05-09-2010, 03:48 PM

The phrase 'lets move forwards rather than backwards' is a nonsense phrase, it means nothing; a PC term. If moving forward means allowing kids to run rampant around the classroom, allowing kids to be in control rather than the teachers thus leading to lower schooling standards then I doubt most would want to move 'forward'.

The part on learning disabilities - if that means kids who are genuinely disabled (and not just naughty kids who nowadays sadly get grouped together with those who are genuinely unable to control their behaviour) then of course they would not be disciplined in that way as they are not responsible for their actions. Personally my opinon on education follows the Peter Hitchens line in which education should be reformed with the return of grammar schools and special schools and with discipline being instilled back into the schooling system (and the justice system for that matter). The Fabianism of the education system that has crept in since the war has devalued education greatly.

alexxxxx
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Obviously, kids with learning difficulties would have to be punished and taught in different ways. I actually think that corporal punishment should not only be used in school, but also in the judicial system aswell. As I mentioned earlier on in the thread, growing up, my Dad would whip me with his belt when I did something wrong; I now have 10 GCSE's, 5 A Levels and I am studying for a degree. Can't of done me that much harm...
and my parents didn't have to physically hit me for me to behave and i have 11 GCSEs, 5 A Levels and going to uni. =/

MzKx
05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
yeah i do think its right.. if theres some annoying kid jus going on and on they need to be shouted at

Frodo13.
06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
and my parents didn't have to physically hit me for me to behave and i have 11 GCSEs, 5 A Levels and going to uni. =/

Well good for you and good for you parents, seriously. I personally was beggining to go off the rails. I finished primary school all with good grades, got 444 in my SATs (which were sort of the norm to get) and went into secondary school into top set classes. I finished year 9 with only 555 in my SATS (way below average). I needed to be whipped with that belt in order for me to get it into my head that what I was doing wasn't good. Some kids probably don't need corporal punishment...I did.

Ardemax
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
The phrase 'lets move forwards rather than backwards' is a nonsense phrase, it means nothing; a PC term. If moving forward means allowing kids to run rampant around the classroom, allowing kids to be in control rather than the teachers thus leading to lower schooling standards then I doubt most would want to move 'forward'.

The part on learning disabilities - if that means kids who are genuinely disabled (and not just naughty kids who nowadays sadly get grouped together with those who are genuinely unable to control their behaviour) then of course they would not be disciplined in that way as they are not responsible for their actions. Personally my opinon on education follows the Peter Hitchens line in which education should be reformed with the return of grammar schools and special schools and with discipline being instilled back into the schooling system (and the justice system for that matter). The Fabianism of the education system that has crept in since the war has devalued education greatly.

You know I go to one of the roughest schools in the city (I don't deserve a medal) and tbh the behaviour is absolutely appauling and I can guarantee half of my year won't get into college or uni. Punishing them with a cane will do absoultely NOTHING, and i mean nothing. You can say it will teach them a lesson and whatever, but really it won't. You've gotta look at alternatives than hitting pupils...

dbgtz
06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes it will? It will mean alot of them would be too scared to mess about and will get on. Ok scaring people to work isnt the best but its the only way and in the end it'll make them a better person.

immense
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Of course teachers should shout as and when they need to. Teachers have their different disciplinary methods and from my experiences the ones who have used other methods to calm the class down or discipline a disruptive child have been more successful. When people shout at me, I switch them off, it's pointless. When they get me to understand I have done wrong or need to alter my behaviour then results are more productive. I was hardly a huge trouble maker at school though, just chatty.

Frodo13.
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
You know I go to one of the roughest schools in the city (I don't deserve a medal) and tbh the behaviour is absolutely appauling and I can guarantee half of my year won't get into college or uni. Punishing them with a cane will do absoultely NOTHING, and i mean nothing. You can say it will teach them a lesson and whatever, but really it won't. You've gotta look at alternatives than hitting pupils...

How do you know it won't work, because obviously the other methods your school is using are clearly not working.

Gibs960
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree that teachers should shout at disrespectful children, but if they're shouting at an individual the pupil should be able to shout back. This is the reason I fell out with most teachers at my Primary, they couldn't take it when a child shouted back.

immense
06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree that teachers should shout at disrespectful children, but if they're shouting at an individual the pupil should be able to shout back. This is the reason I fell out with most teachers at my Primary, they couldn't take it when a child shouted back.

So you think teachers should shout at disrespectful children but these children should be allowed to shout back? Sure, you might want to argue back when you're in the right but surely a huge part of being disrespectful is not acknowledging your teachers are in control and you have to listen to them...

AgnesIO
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

And you moaned about teachers?? Surely the reason you had arguments then is you? :p

immense
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, if you were shouting at teachers then you're being disrespectful and you said teachers should shout at disrespectful children... so they should shout at you.

Gibs960
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
But I used to shout at them because every time you said "Listen to my side of the story, she/he is telling lies." They say "Don't answer back." So I got annoyed.

Matthew
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
But I used to shout at them because every time you said "Listen to my side of the story, she/he is telling lies." They say "Don't answer back." So I got annoyed.
thats because it is answering back...
Regardless of whether the teacher is correct or not, you have to acknowledge his/her decision.

If a teacher is bothering you then you should tell your parents or the headteacher.

immense
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
That doesn't make it OK. If you don't think you're being treated fair you should have a word with the teacher after or go through the right procedures to make a complaint.

Special
06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
only if they deserve it alot, it shouldn't be used all the time or else they will never be disiplined

The Don
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
They should shout if the whole class is talking and they've tried speaking and asking them to be quiet, and if a student is shouting at them, then yes...

wiktoria
06-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Obviously teachers need to shout or else no one is gonna listen to them :S

Sarah
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
In some situations like when the teachers are just in a bad mood and take small things OTT and just crazy is not ok, but I mean if someone is misbehaving really bad then yeah they should be shouted out. My teacher told me today he wants corporal punishment back, everyone just told him if a teacher hit them they would hit the teacher back which is most likely true.

But yeah, if they have actually done something wrong and serious they should be shouted at.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!