PDA

View Full Version : Slightly odd question.

Sam
04-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Its 2am and i have no idea if this is the right place but basically:

I have a cupboard in my room which i want to transform into a wardrobe. It's 60.5 Inches wide. How the hell would i go about getting a bar which will be fittable to this length?

Thanks.

FlyingJesus
04-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Just get any old warbrobe bar and cut it down with a saw, they're usually hollow and not very thick so it wouldn't be difficult to do (just be careful obv) and then cut a couple of half-moon supports for it and stick them on the inside with wood glue. Make sure it's straight of course :P then it ought to just lay in there fine. If you want it to not be removable I guess you could make 4 supports instead of 2 then attach top ones after the main 2 and bar are in place

Special
04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
b&q? any DIY shop really

tdi
07-09-2010, 01:02 AM
I'm no expert but I'm guessing you'd cut it. Otherwise it will not fit. :rolleyes:

Alkaz
07-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Just get any old warbrobe bar and cut it down with a saw, they're usually hollow and not very thick so it wouldn't be difficult to do (just be careful obv) and then cut a couple of half-moon supports for it and stick them on the inside with wood glue. Make sure it's straight of course :P then it ought to just lay in there fine. If you want it to not be removable I guess you could make 4 supports instead of 2 then attach top ones after the main 2 and bar are in place
This is the best way if you've not already done this. If you can't get hold of an old wardrobe bar then you should be able to pick one up from some where or you could use a thick 18 or 20mm dowel which should also work. Having a 5' hanging bar will take a tremendous amount of weight so you should really have a support in the middle of the bar as well for added rigidity. Most things that you would need would be available from large hardware chains or smaller independents in your local town, they smaller shops will probably give you better advise and a better deal on what ever you need.

If your initial problem was how do you actually get the bar in there the you might need to have two halves of the bar meaning wood would be your best bet and then having a dowel screw to join them both together. This is where you should support the bar in the middle with a support loop coming from the top of the cupboard.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!