PDA

View Full Version : EU to fine eurosceptics who don't attend State of the Union address

-:Undertaker:-
04-09-2010, 01:57 PM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100052292/meps-will-be-fined-if-they-dont-sit-through-the-whole-of-jose-manuel-barrosos-speech/

MEPs will be fined if they don't sit through the whole of José Manuel Barroso's speech

http://www.sofiaecho.com/shimg/zx500y290_914779.jpg

Unelected President of the unelected European Commission, José Barroso, will force MEPs to attend his boring and dismal speech at the EU 'parliament' - oh just a side note; he also has shady business links whilst being in office which need to be investigated but I won't hold my breath as this is euro-land.

Euro-MPs are to be paid for sitting through one of José Manuel Barroso’s speeches; or, rather, fined for not sitting through it. On Tuesday, the President of the European Commission will make his State of the Union Address in the Strasbourg chamber. Evidently fretful at the prospect of a derisory turnout, the President of the European Parliament has sent out the following email to all MEPs:
With a view to ensuring the highest possible attendance at the debate on the State of the Union, the Conference of Presidents decided at its meeting on Thursday 2 September 2010 to introduce specific checks on Members’ presence in the Chamber using the electronic system at three different moments during the debate.

The President will inform the Bureau of this decision and ask it, as the body responsible for such matters, to fix the appropriate penalty for those Members who are not present for at least two of the three checks.
This isn’t the first time that MEPs have been threatened with having their allowances docked: it regularly happens to Eurosceptics (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100028181/nigel-farage-is-fined-other-euro-sceptics-beware/). Now, though, the authorities worry that even goody-goody federalists will stay away unless financially incentivised. I suppose it’s simply an extension of the EU’s general approach, viz to buy itself support with taxpayers’ money.

Well lets hope that members of parliament who we vote to represent us from across the politician spectrum don't attend this speech. UKIP and their grouping will not be attending i'm sure (and if they do it'll be in some form of protest) along with other parties from across Europe. Let's also hope that Dan Hannan (one of the only sensible Conservative politicians and who wrote the blog i've quoted) also stays away and ignores his party whip.

I thought i'd post because its 'EU democracy' in action which is very different to real democracy.

Thoughts?

alexxxxx
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
well it's their job to be there in the first place.

04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
It isn't their job to attend speeches by unelected zealots who want more European Union when the 'citizens of Europe' do not. The European Union and Barroso must be really desperate mustn't they, because it now looks like even federalists aren't keen on turning up (I mean, who would be?). Infact by not attending, MEPs are doing their job as they are representing the peoples of Europe - then again, maybe thats why the EU is so determined to have a full house because it has not exactly got a track record of listening to the people has it now?

Who elected this man?
the people didn't.

Who permitted the office he holds to have such wielding powers over us all?
the people didn't.

With anyluck he'll recieve (another) Farage Barrage.

alexxxxx
04-09-2010, 02:05 PM
It isn't their job to attend speeches by unelected zealots who want more European Union when the 'citizens of Europe' do not. The European Union and Barroso must be really desperate mustn't they, because it now looks like even federalists aren't keen on turning up (I mean, who would be?). Infact by not attending, MEPs are doing their job as they are representing the peoples of Europe - then again, maybe thats why the EU is so determined to have a full house because it has not exactly got a track record of listening to the people has it now?

Their job is to represent the people of europe in the parliament. Which they would not be doing if they are not there. If they are protesting, holding up placards etc - then so be it, but i'd be very angry if my elected representative that i had voted for did not even attend to express my view!

04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
What you mean like here where the EU ripped down the banners from UKIP MEPs and cross-party MEPs? and now as this article shows, they are now resorting to fining members for not turning up and being a part of their deception in which is nothing more than a joke parliament, a showpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJlI9swbsA

alexxxxx
04-09-2010, 02:25 PM
What you mean like here where the EU ripped down the banners from UKIP MEPs and cross-party MEPs? and now as this article shows, they are now resorting to fining members for not turning up and being a part of their deception in which is nothing more than a joke parliament, a showpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJlI9swbsA

in this case you can see, shouting, speaking out of turn is unacceptable in a parliament. it's a parliament, not a football match. holding up placards and engaging in a serious debate would be better don't you think. and even if they repeated what was shown in the video, it would be much better than not turning up at all!

Caution
04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
It's actually worrying to read.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!