PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer?

Ardemax
04-09-2010, 06:45 PM
hi der forum

soooo yeah, about 6 weeks ago, I had no idea what job I wanted to have in the future and now after watching a lot of television and thinking about it, I was thinking about going down law/police route. I'm wondering, what do you need to achieve to become a police officer? Is it rare that positions open and like what tasks would a standard day envolve?

It seems a lot of fun, but I don't know if that is the right approach to it?

Thanks

Arron
04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
You don't really need to achieve anything. Next week I start my Public Services course at College, this probably won't give me an 'edge' when applying for the police, but it will give me more of an insight as to what officers do.

Heres a day-to-day basis of what a police patrol officer does:

responding to calls for assistance from the public
making enquiries into crimes and offences and making arrests
interviewing witnesses and suspects, preparing crime reports and taking statements
searching for missing persons
giving evidence in court
attending accidents and fires
custodial duties
working on the station reception desk, dealing with the public
working in the communications room in two-way contact with officers on the beat
policing large public events, concerts and demonstrations
visiting schools to give talks

You should know that you have to be 18 before applying for the police.

A route that may make your application process stronger would be doing a few years as a PCSO - Police Community Support Officer. That's something I may take on board when I finish my one year course.

But coming from me who, from a young age, dreamed of being a Police Officer, it may not be that simple. The process can be quite awkward. You should contact your desired force and ask for the recruitment department. On receiving your police application form, the Force that you have applied to will check your eligibility and mark your responses to competency questions. Theres 7 steps in the whole process:

Step 1 – To check if you are eligible to join a UK police force
Step 2 - The Application Form
Step 3 - The Assessment Centre
Step 4 - The Police Fitness Test
Step 5 - Health Checks
Step 6 - Background and Security Check
Step 7 - Security Clearance

Nixt
04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
The competition to become a police officer is, nowadays, incredibly intense too. I would recommend perhaps continuing in education before applying, perhaps even getting a degree if you are considering it - during this time you could volunteer as a special constable which is, I would say, preferable in terms of experience to becoming a PCSO despite the fact it is unpaid. This would give you valuable experience as they have the same powers as a normal police officer without the pay.

Arron
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Taken from http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/pcso/overview.html

As a police community support officer (PCSO), you will work on the frontline of your local force, providing a visible and reassuring presence on the streets and tackling the menace of anti-social behaviour.

This is a paid, usually full-time position that can lead to a long career with the police.

Minstrels
04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Actually I'll edit it out.

Arron
04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Actually I'll edit it out.

yeah thanks :)

Ardemax
04-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh right, so it's pretty tough getting into the force then?

Hmmmm...

Thanks for the advice both of you, Arron, yours was an interesting read lol.

+reppage

Arron
04-09-2010, 10:21 PM
I hope I haven't put you off in any way. It certainly puts me off a little that the application process could not be successful, but i'd have to keep trying, baring in mind that its something like 6/12 months before you can reapply!

Ardemax
05-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Hmm yeah, I mean if I don't get it in like 3 applications I'll think about choosing a different route (ICT or something)

So yeah

flatface
05-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Hmm yeah, I mean if I don't get it in like 3 applications I'll think about choosing a different route (ICT or something)

So yeah

A different route you could use to become a PC would to first become Police Staff (which is probably a lot easier to get into). Police forces like to train their Police Staff up to Special Constables (so I heard) then once you've completed a few years as Police Staff and as a Special some forces allow you to trade roles and become a full time PC. That might be worth looking into :)

Ardemax
06-09-2010, 05:46 AM
yeah deffo, thanks for that, wouldn't have known about it otherwise +rep

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!