PDA

View Full Version : Do not like one of the recent updates!

Apple
05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
In a recent forum update you chose to remove the Animals & Pets section and the Food & Drink section, then said that for anything related to them can be now posted in the Discuss Anything section. I'm not sure if it's just me that thinks this but I do not think any thread related to food or animals will do as well in the Discuss Anything section as it would of done in their original sections. Threads related to food or animals just do not suit or fit in with the typical threads posted in Discuss Anything.

If enough people share the same views as me could we please get it reverted back? The reason for it in the first place was to de-clutter the forum but I think it was fine the way it was, or maybe you could implement a feature that allows forum users to choose which sections they want to see. If there is some kind of hack (which I am sure there is) to allow users to tick whichever sections they would like to view out of a list of all the sections in their settings, wouldn't that suffice in de-cluttering the forum as well as bringing in a great new feature?

Thanks for reading, hope others share the same views! :P

immense
05-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Although I do agree with you I think it was done because new users found HxF a bit hard to navigate. Not 100% sure on this so hopefully someone will verify. Say this is the case then although it might be cliche, it has to be done for the greater good. If by making these posts in Discuss Anything and removing two forums makes it easier for new members then it's well worth it in my opinion.

Apple
05-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Although I do agree with you I think it was done because new users found HxF a bit hard to navigate. Not 100% sure on this so hopefully someone will verify. Say this is the case then although it might be cliche, it has to be done for the greater good. If by making these posts in Discuss Anything and removing two forums makes it easier for new members then it's well worth it in my opinion.

If you want to look at it like that then just one big section saying post anything in here may actually be more confusing than thought. If you are new here and you see a section named Animals and Pets it may make you think "Oh I'll make a thread about my dog" or "I will have a look at some animals people have". But with Discuss Anything they might just think "Haven't got a clue what to make a thread about" and move on to a more specific section that they find easier to post in.

immense
05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I do think it'll lead to a decrease in posts. If people see these forums, they're going to post in them. That can be applied to anything though. If there was a forum called aereoplane experiences I have no doubt I'd post about my different flight experiences.

Apple
05-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I do think it'll lead to a decrease in posts. If people see these forums, they're going to post in them. That can be applied to anything though. If there was a forum called aereoplane experiences I have no doubt I'd post about my different flight experiences.

I understand what you mean, when posting my previous post I was thinking that you could make loads of random sections and people would post in them. It just sort of broadens peoples minds and they know that they can post a thread in that section and it will be perfectly normal and get sensible replies, however if they were to post that thread in discuss anything the reply rate/quality would not be as high as it would seem really odd and random.

Richie
05-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I agree completely, I don't see why more forums would effect the forum in any way. If anything it makes it worse because a bunch of topics are chucked into one forum.

Hecktix
05-09-2010, 11:53 PM
HabboxForum had such a vast amount of forums (and still does) it made us much harder to navigate around in comparison to other Habbo forums, Jake is correct.

When I first became Forum Management I heard a couple of users making comments about our index and how its long etc and I'll be honest, I ignored them as I agreed with you - I liked our variety of forums.

However as the weeks and months went on it's something I heard more and more and more - especially from users on Habbo who perhaps had not yet registered or not yet started using the Forum properly, I am usually the first person to shoot down people who say "look at chf, look at hffm" however our index in comparison to some other sites was absolutely huge - it felt quite old if I'm honest and it really did need trimming down a bit.

Posts within Animals & Pets on the first page spanned 1 month, Food & Drink, over a month & a half, what's really the point in having these forums which are pretty much dead, when they can be merged into Discuss Anything which is now twice as active. I agree that perhaps less threads on those topics will be posted now and when people get used to it they'll post more threads eventually, hell, everything else gets posted in Discuss Anything :P

When we get multiple criticisms about the length of our index I can't afford to have forums on it which rarely get used, it is a loss but as Jake has said it was a loss for the greater good, it has also made Discuss Anything more active and of course with the stuck threads from Food & Drink in there it's a reminder you can post these kind of topics in there.

immense
05-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Haven't checked and I probably should before I post but can't be bothered. Have you altered the description of Discuss Anything to make it unequivocal that Discuss Anything does include posts about food/drink and pets?

Richie
05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Oh and I'd like to add:

The animal and drink sections were more popular than forums such as

http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249
http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214
http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Hecktix
05-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Current Description:

Discuss Anything (http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

(4 Viewing)
General Discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else
Please ensure that there is nowhere else that your topic will be more suited

As usual I'm open to suggestions should users think this should change :)

---------- Post added 06-09-2010 at 01:00 AM ----------

Oh and I'd like to add:

The animal and drink sections were more popular than forums such as

http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249
http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214
http://www.habboxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

First one - First page covers posts from 22-08-10
Second one -First page covers posts from 22-08-10

These two are considerably more active than Food & Drink and Animals & Pets which spanned back to late June and Mid July respectively.

Anime Forum - this is about as inactive as they were, however I don't think Anime would fit into Discuss Anything :P Can you think of anywhere it would fit Richie? :P

Apple
06-09-2010, 12:01 AM
HabboxForum had such a vast amount of forums (and still does) it made us much harder to navigate around in comparison to other Habbo forums, Jake is correct.

When I first became Forum Management I heard a couple of users making comments about our index and how its long etc and I'll be honest, I ignored them as I agreed with you - I liked our variety of forums.

However as the weeks and months went on it's something I heard more and more and more - especially from users on Habbo who perhaps had not yet registered or not yet started using the Forum properly, I am usually the first person to shoot down people who say "look at chf, look at hffm" however our index in comparison to some other sites was absolutely huge - it felt quite old if I'm honest and it really did need trimming down a bit.

Posts within Animals & Pets on the first page spanned 1 month, Food & Drink, over a month & a half, what's really the point in having these forums which are pretty much dead, when they can be merged into Discuss Anything which is now twice as active. I agree that perhaps less threads on those topics will be posted now and when people get used to it they'll post more threads eventually, hell, everything else gets posted in Discuss Anything :P

When we get multiple criticisms about the length of our index I can't afford to have forums on it which rarely get used, it is a loss but as Jake has said it was a loss for the greater good, it has also made Discuss Anything more active and of course with the stuck threads from Food & Drink in there it's a reminder you can post these kind of topics in there.

I see where you are coming from now. However could we at least get a sticky in discuss anything to remind users that anything to do with pets or animals can be posted, so at least then it will help threads like that fit in and also encourage users to post about it? To keep the amount of stickies low you could scrap the "Post a random fact about you" thread as people use that to get their post count up, absolutely no discussion whatsoever in that thread by the looks of it.

Richie
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Current Description:

These two are considerably more active than Food & Drink and Animals & Pets which spanned back to late June and Mid July respectively.

Anime Forum - this is about as inactive as they were, however I don't think Anime would fit into Discuss Anything :P Can you think of anywhere it would fit Richie? :P

Not going into that jen will have a bloody fanny flip at me ha

Apple
06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Current Description:

"Anything related to Anime can now be posted in the Spam section"

Nah just kidding lol, although I do hate Anime with a vengeance.

Hecktix
06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
I see where you are coming from now. However could we at least get a sticky in discuss anything to remind users that anything to do with pets or animals can be posted, so at least then it will help threads like that fit in and also encourage users to post about it? To keep the amount of stickies low you could scrap the "Post a random fact about you" thread as people use that to get their post count up, absolutely no discussion whatsoever in that thread by the looks of it.

Rather than a sticky, because I hate cluttered stickies and most people don't read sticky reminders anyway, I could put a forum notice over discuss anything, although as long as the description clearly states it's to discuss anything that doesnt fit anywhere else it should be fine, yes our older users may get confused about where these forums are however they can be directed to discuss anything, as the couple of people who have asked have been already.

Nixt
06-09-2010, 12:57 PM

I think the key difference when it comes to Richie's suggestion and the forums recently removed is that of the communities within these forums, too. The anime, runescape and gaming forums whilst not the most active still have a strong community who frequent those forums and their removal would have far more of an impact than the food and drink, and animals forums where there was little sense of community rather a place to post quite specific topics which are equally suited in discuss anything which also lacks any real, cohesive community.

Nemo
06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I think the key difference when it comes to Richie's suggestion and the forums recently removed is that of the communities within these forums, too. The anime, runescape and gaming forums whilst not the most active still have a strong community who frequent those forums and their removal would have far more of an impact than the food and drink, and animals forums where there was little sense of community rather a place to post quite specific topics which are equally suited in discuss anything which also lacks any real, cohesive community.
Agreed completely.

Lets not get me started on the idea of removing the anime forum.

Also, it cant be that much of a difference, since it took you like 2 weeks to notice it?

Apple
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Agreed completely.

Lets not get me started on the idea of removing the anime forum.

Also, it cant be that much of a difference, since it took you like 2 weeks to notice it?

When it had just happened I didn't really think it would work too well but never really thought much of it. Then when I came to post a thread related to animals and pets in discuss anything the response was pathetic compared to how it would of been in the original Animals and Pets section. Yesterday I was half way through making another thread in discuss anything to do with my new dog but I just knew that the response would be bad again so didn't bother, straight after that is when I posted this thread in feedback.

Nemo
06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
When it had just happened I didn't really think it would work too well but never really thought much of it. Then when I came to post a thread related to animals and pets in discuss anything the response was pathetic compared to how it would of been in the original Animals and Pets section. Yesterday I was half way through making another thread in discuss anything to do with my new dog but I just knew that the response would be bad again so didn't bother, straight after that is when I posted this thread in feedback.
Lets be honest though, its because that section was mainly to get your post count up, unless someone was asking a question. Most were ppl posting their animal and ppl going "awww how cute" "awww i want one" "awwwwww". It just seems that people dont always wanna comment on how cute someones cat is, or it could have just been a coincidence. Honestly, depends on the thread not entirely the forum, for example, I just spam click New Posts, so most of the time i just skim read titles and dont particularly look at what forum is where, hence why i sometimes accidentally read an entire habbo thread D:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!