PDA

View Full Version : Cost of running a laptop..

marine
07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
How much would it cost to run a laptop for 1 hour?
I've looked in the internet but it's all really confusing :S:(

Recursion
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I THINK, it's like this:

It depends how many watts your laptop uses and the price of electricity. Say your laptop charger is 60w, you'd run it for 17 hours to get it up to 1kWh, call it 10p for 1kWh in the UK you'd look at 1.7p per hour.

Of course this is a very very rough idea.

marine
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh so it's VERY cheap, hardly even noticeable on the electric bill?
'Cos my dad says it costs loads but he knows nothing lol.

Recursion
07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Nah, a desktop computer would be considerably more, but it depends on how long you leave it on for, what kind of hardware is in your computer and if you're running intensive programs or not.

A laptop would be fine, easily :)

Rapidshare
07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I understand people leaving computers on, but not a laptop unless you got a laptop stand or will put it on its side...You will just overheat which will cause problems in long term

Recursion
07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I understand people leaving computers on, but not a laptop unless you got a laptop stand or will put it on its side...You will just overheat which will cause problems in long term

Don't see why it should....

Caution
07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh so it's VERY cheap, hardly even noticeable on the electric bill?
'Cos my dad says it costs loads but he knows nothing lol.
Correct. If you can afford donator, you can afford to run a laptop.

marine
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I understand people leaving computers on, but not a laptop unless you got a laptop stand or will put it on its side...You will just overheat which will cause problems in long termNah I don't leave it on, I'm just on alot & my dad says it costs too much.

N!ck
07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
If it's just on, doing nothing then probably around half a penny per hour. Using it probably around a penny an hour. Tom has the right idea, but his maths is wrong.

Rapidshare
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Don't see why it should....

I dont get what you meant by your quote but overheated => Laptop shutdown so it doesnt meltttttt which means any work he was doing will be lost (doubt it tho)

marine
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Correct. If you can afford donator, you can afford to run a laptop.
I didn't pay for it, I won it ^^

Stephen!
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Buy a power usage unit then you can prove it to him

HotelUser
08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Buy a power usage unit then you can prove it to him

That's not a bad idea, or, couldn't you check the capacity of your battery and then calculate the amount lost after use based off the percentage remaining?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!