PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser just as crap as Apple!!

Apple
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I wish I would never have to say this but it seems that Sennheiser earphones are just as crap as Apple earphones. I have been through around 6 Apple earphones in under 2 years as they all broke. Everyone said "get some Sennheiser's they are great and last ages!", so I did. Well it seems that just over a months use (very little use at low to mid volume) they have broken. Well I say broken, the left earphone has gone ultra quiet and has also lost a lot of its quality so sounds kinda fuzzy. I'm pretty sure there was a warranty but I never keep receipts for things. They did cost around £45 I think, not really too sure but somewhere around that margin so obvs I am not really very happy, hence the rant. It's not so much the cost of them but more the hype which they certainly haven't lived up to (the quality was good I suppose). Knew I should of got some Beats by Dr Dre instead. Rant over, any suggestions? :P

Edit: They are CX 400 II's if that helps.

Rozi
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Gonna join your earphone rage because I shelled out for some SkullCandy earbuds and they broke within a month :| worse than some of the much cheaper/free ones I've got! and I've got funny ears so I can only use in ear headphones arrgghghhhh :@

Recursion
08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
The Dr Dre Beats are mank.

You can contact Sennheiser for replacements for free but first take the rubbers off the in ears and run the broken one under hot water and dry it off, leave for 30 mins and try it, worked for me like 5 times now LMAO

No joke either :S

Apple
08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Gonna join your earphone rage because I shelled out for some SkullCandy earbuds and they broke within a month :| worse than some of the much cheaper/free ones I've got! and I've got funny ears so I can only use in ear headphones arrgghghhhh :@
Yeh could of got some £3,99 earphones that would still be working fine now. ;l

The Dr Dre Beats are mank.

You can contact Sennheiser for replacements for free but first take the rubbers off the in ears and run the broken one under hot water and dry it off, leave for 30 mins and try it, worked for me like 5 times now LMAO

No joke either :S

The Beats by Dr Dre look amazing, I have heard the sound quality is superb also!

I am not liking the idea of water damaging my earphones so Sennheiser can tell me that they will not repair them because they are water damaged. I do not see how warm water can achieve anything. :P

Recursion
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeh could of got some £3,99 earphones that would still be working fine now. ;l

The Beats by Dr Dre look amazing, I have heard the sound quality is superb also!

I am not liking the idea of water damaging my earphones so Sennheiser can tell me that they will not repair them because they are water damaged. I do not see how warm water can achieve anything. :P

Ear wax gets into inears very very easily (no matter how clean your ears are) ;)

Apple
08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Ear wax gets into inears very very easily (no matter how clean your ears are) ;)

Hmm... So you are suggesting I run them under warm water, very hot tap water or just warm? And do I face it upwards so water can actually get inside?

beth
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
i spend far too much money on earphones. i used to like buy really shoddy ones, but when i got a job i'd buy pairs £20+ per time.

i've bought 3 pairs in the last 2 months alone. one pair skullcandy.

i just can't seem to find a longlasting pair ):

MattFr
08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Although I am the biggest brand ***** ever, for audio, it is best to steer clear from well known brands (imo). I've seen plenty of people buying these crappy Sennheiser IEMs and every time I hear them they sound worse and worse. Sennheiser make some quality stuff, but budget Sennheiser (under 100) seriously blows.

If you're looking for replacements, I would SERIOUSLY consider getting these:
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

I've suggested these to A LOT of people and they always get dismissed as cheap chinese trash. But hey, guess what, Sennheiser IEMs are cheap chinese trash with a brand name on them too! These Head-direct RE0s are reviewed as equalling IEMs costing 4x their prices in terms of soundstage, bass performance and clarity, and they only cost $79.

I've had mine since January this year and they have been PERFECT, absolutely love them to bits.

Also just to clarify, ear wax doesn't get into IEMs if you replace your filters on a regular basis.

HotelUser
09-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Although I am the biggest brand ***** ever, for audio, it is best to steer clear from well known brands (imo). I've seen plenty of people buying these crappy Sennheiser IEMs and every time I hear them they sound worse and worse. Sennheiser make some quality stuff, but budget Sennheiser (under 100) seriously blows.

If you're looking for replacements, I would SERIOUSLY consider getting these:
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

I've suggested these to A LOT of people and they always get dismissed as cheap chinese trash. But hey, guess what, Sennheiser IEMs are cheap chinese trash with a brand name on them too! These Head-direct RE0s are reviewed as equalling IEMs costing 4x their prices in terms of soundstage, bass performance and clarity, and they only cost $79.

I've had mine since January this year and they have been PERFECT, absolutely love them to bits.

Also just to clarify, ear wax doesn't get into IEMs if you replace your filters on a regular basis.

Yikes!

I'm as much as a fan of nice earphones as the next guy--but those are quite a lot of money!

Recursion
09-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Just send 'em off to Sennheiser if you have time.

Also MattFr, $80 for a pair of earphones that will probably get broken within a few months?!

MattFr
09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
They don't break if you look after them, I've had mine nearly 10 months now and they're as good as new. I don't really see $80 as much - in my eyes, you can keep buying pairs of cheap earphones which don't really fit properly, are uncomfortable, sound bad and break within a few weeks, or you can treat yourself and buy some that fit perfectly, are built very well (the actual IEMs are machined metal) and sound utterly amazing. Sounds pretty lame but I enjoy listening to music a lot more with these, you can totally immerse yourself in it.

GommeInc
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I've got a pair of headphones by Logik which work really well and produce good sound. I think they were £15 when I got them, but they're not in-ear (I hate them but some prefer them to the other type). In-ear headphones seem to need to evolve a little more before they're any good :/

peteyt
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't think i could pay that much for a pair of earphones.

To be honest i rarely use my ipod - if im on holiday or going on long trips then yeah - otherwise i just don't see the point.

AgnesIO
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I had a pair of Sennheiser ones for months, and they were fine. Until they got in the washing machine.

However, the last pair I had the brilliant. A Sony pair - really good value. Brilliant sound quality. And again just last week I got those in the good ol' washing machine.

I will buy another pair of the Sony ones though.

Jordy
09-09-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=659573&p=6650653#post6650653

I did warn you about that at the time you were buying them ;)

People on here bum Sennheiser way too much, their sound quality is good for their price but build quality is shocking, glad someone else agrees.

MattFr
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM

People on here bum Sennheiser way too much, their sound quality is good for their price but build quality is shocking, glad someone else agrees.

And I suggested the RE0s too haha.

Apple
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Well at least yours lasted longer than a month. When you said you have had a few pairs over 2 years, that sounded ok. I didn't know mine were only going to last this long. :P

And I suggested the RE0s too haha.

Yeh I just re-read that post and they look tempting. The thing is, these little in-ear headphones seem so flimsy that they are bound to end up breaking after a few knocks and bangs. Maybe I should actually go for some full on headphones such as the Beats by Dr Dre. Hopefully they come with a warranty and I will make sure I keep the receipt this time!

United-Clowgon
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Yea it's all about beats by dr dre (Studio) Awesome headphones,

MattFr
09-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Well at least yours lasted longer than a month. When you said you have had a few pairs over 2 years, that sounded ok. I didn't know mine were only going to last this long. :P

Yeh I just re-read that post and they look tempting. The thing is, these little in-ear headphones seem so flimsy that they are bound to end up breaking after a few knocks and bangs. Maybe I should actually go for some full on headphones such as the Beats by Dr Dre. Hopefully they come with a warranty and I will make sure I keep the receipt this time!

Just look after them and they will be fine. The RE0s are made of metal, they're not flimsy like most which are made of plastic.

Apple
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Just look after them and they will be fine. The RE0s are made of metal, they're not flimsy like most which are made of plastic.

So is REO an actual known brand name and how would I go with ordering it? I mean with shipping and such, I am assuming there will be shipping options when I buy them online so how much would they charge roughly?

MattFr
09-09-2010, 06:23 PM
So is REO an actual known brand name and how would I go with ordering it? I mean with shipping and such, I am assuming there will be shipping options when I buy them online so how much would they charge roughly?

They cost me $89 including shipping from China to the UK which is approx. £57 at the moment. RE0 isn't the brand name, they are made by a small manufacturer called Hifiman, which sounds incredibly cheap but is no reflection on their products. You order them from the head-direct site. They are very well reviewed on Head-fi.org which is a dedicated personal audio forum, it might be worth asking on there for advice on IEMs or cans if you want to look for alternatives.

Jordy
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
RE0s will be useless if you're using them to walk around, cycle, go to the gym etc, they're excellent for audiophiles sitting still on trains or at home but clearly not meant to be used for much else.

On the topic of Sennheisers, mine fell apart last week after 6 weeks :)

MattFr
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
RE0s will be useless if you're using them to walk around, cycle, go to the gym etc, they're excellent for audiophiles sitting still on trains or at home but clearly not meant to be used for much else.

On the topic of Sennheisers, mine fell apart last week after 6 weeks :)

Mine are fine for jogging and cycling :/

Apple
09-09-2010, 10:04 PM
They cost me $89 including shipping from China to the UK which is approx. £57 at the moment. RE0 isn't the brand name, they are made by a small manufacturer called Hifiman, which sounds incredibly cheap but is no reflection on their products. You order them from the head-direct site. They are very well reviewed on Head-fi.org which is a dedicated personal audio forum, it might be worth asking on there for advice on IEMs or cans if you want to look for alternatives.
So I will be paying around £60 for some earphones shipped from china made by a random unknown brand. I will look at the reviews...

MattFr
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
So I will be paying around £60 for some earphones shipped from china made by a random unknown brand. I will look at the reviews...

Alternatively you could buy an inferior product from China with a premium brand plastered on it. I know what I'd go for!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!